Welcome new Voyager fans!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Caprica_Six, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Rocky6

Rocky6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi all, I'm watching Voyager for the first time and I absolutely love it.
    I even managed to get my wife to watch it with me - she loves Kathryn Janeway's leadership skills.

Geargoose, Phaser Two, 100Pic and 4 others like this.
  2. Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo Cadet Newbie

Hi.
    First time here. Nice to meet you all. ST:Voyager is my favorite show.

3. Bork359

Bork359 Lieutenant Newbie

I was born in 1983, making me around 15 when Voyager introduced 7 of 9. I'll admit it, I was definately one of the thousands of hormonal teenage boys who finally started watching the show after she was introduced. What a BABE. I even had a big poster of her on my bedroom wall.

During its original run, I enjoyed the show but nowhere near as much as I enjoyed TNG. Even at the time, I was wise to the dumb writing that plagued far too many episodes. They used the reset button WAY too often. I remember watching Year of Hell when it was new and absolutely hating it due to the way it ended. I was surprised to discover recently that it's considered one of the best episodes of the entire series, perhaps I should give it another shot, but man it felt like a total waste at the time.

I was also annoyed by the formulaic nature of the show in its later seasons, where they were over reliant on Voyager's magic technology saving them from almost every situation after a few lines of BS technobabble. I know all Trek series did this to a degree, but Voyager felt especially lazy to me in that regard.

All that being said, I've recently been giving Voyager another shot on streaming, and I have to say it has improved with age. I think the main reason for this is that it's one of the last "true" Star Trek series that really sticks to the core ideas of what makes Star Trek great, before its descent into absolute shit with Discovery and Picard. (Lower decks is watchable as a silly non-canonical fan fiction and nothing more). When I'm in the mood for some good old optimistic exploration that still holds the values of the Federation close to its heart, Voyager consistently delivers that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Phaser Two and Paul B. Hartzog like this.
  4. Gary Seven of Nine

Gary Seven of Nine Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm a new member here but I've been lurking for a number of years. I love all Trek shows old and new, but my favorites are VOY and TNG. A little fun fact: to this day I haven't watched Endgame for the simple reason that in my mind, the crew is still out there wandering the Delta Quadrant (and also, I still have new Voyager to look forward to watching eventually!)

Phaser Two likes this.
  5. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Your discipline is impressive. :lol:
    Welcome.

6. Kecard

Kecard Cadet Newbie

I stumbled into this ten minutes ago and joined just to tell you I know exactly how you feel. I managed to not watch the final eps for a year and a half for exactly the same reasons as you, but didn't have the force of will you have. Qapla'!

Gary Seven of Nine likes this.
  7. ColonelWest

ColonelWest Ensign Red Shirt

I’m a new member and currently watching Voyager for the first time. I’m just getting to the end of Season 2 and I have to say that whilst I’m enjoying the show, I’m not loving it. It took me a while to warm up to DS9 so I guess it’ll be the same for Voyager, too. I love Janeway and Tuvok, they’re currently the standout characters for me. When I started the show, I was wondering where Seven of Nine was because I always associated her with the show (due to catching a few random episodes as a kid when it first aired) so I was surprised to find out that she doesn’t actually appear until Season 4!

8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Mid season 3 onwards is when Voyager takes off.

9. Gary Seven of Nine

Gary Seven of Nine Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This. Voyager is watchable in it's first 2.5 seasons and has its good episodes, but the series as a whole actually becomes GOOD roughly around the Future's End two parter. @ColonelWest

XweAponX, Phaser Two and ColonelWest like this.
  10. Stargazer_101

Stargazer_101 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello everyone, just registered today

I'm not new to Voyager (or Star Trek, since I grew up watching the TNG and Voyager on UPN when I was a teenager) but am now in the process of re-watching the entire series on Netflix (along with TNG, although I did own some of this series on videocassette back in the day). I just re-watched the pilot episode and bought a copy of Star Trek: Voyager: A Celebration on the Walmart website (through a gift card). I've always preferred the ship based shows like TNG and Voyager over DS9 (though I did watch DS9 as well, probably because there was nothing better on at the time). :)

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, I'm a Niner and have had a low opinion of Voyager from my experience with it in the late 90s. I watched it live for the first three seasons, but starting with season 4, I went to college, didn't have a TV, and found that I really didn't miss it, the way I missed DS9. Over the years through reruns and Netflix, I've tried tuning into episodes here and there, but nothing grabbed me.

During the lockdown, I started rewatching TNG, but stopped at Season 3 since my youngest wanted to watch it, but that never happened, so last year I resumed, finishing last week with "All Good Things." I rewatched DS9 along with "The 7th Rule" podcast and finished that show during the fall. I decided that since I was finishing my rewatch of both shows, I'd give Voyager a proper shake, watching the whole thing, in order. I started last week and so far, I'm enjoying it. Granted, a lot of what I didn't enjoy are things that developed throughout the series.

But, I'm also trying to be honest with myself, since I found internet reaction in the late 90's and early 2000's largely shaped my opinion, to that point where I'm not sure where my personal opinions end and the internet's begin. Since then, opinions on the show have turned more towards the positive, and I honestly want to experience that myself.

Edited to add: I love all of nuTrek, especially Prodigy. I've also played through Star Trek Online once and am going through with additional characters. My second character just finished the Delta Quadrant storyline. With both of these things, I'm excited to meet a lot of the races referenced in both, many of which were introduced after I stopped watching.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    Phaser Two likes this.
  12. ColonelWest

ColonelWest Ensign Red Shirt

I’m currently watching Dark Frontier and I have to say that Voyager has been phenomenal ever since the start of Season 4, it feels like a completely different show!

13. Warp 10 (Pepperoni)

Warp 10 (Pepperoni) Lieutenant Red Shirt

Even though TNG is the better Trek show, Voyager is my favourite.

Thomas Eugene likes this.
  14. XweAponX

XweAponX Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not actually a new fan… I watched the show from start to finish, missing only a couple of eps.

I even like “Threshold”, I loved it when 1st broadcast, and it’s the funniest trek episode this side of tribbles… Robert Duncan McNeal shows a definite comedic talent which he expresses recently in “Resident Alien”…

15. XweAponX

XweAponX Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It definitely started them on a route through Borg Space… I liked Jennifer Lien in the 3rd Season, very powerful “Warlord” performance. And S3 had Futures End, which was massive. And the more I watch “The Basics”, especially part II the more I find. Lon Suder was a great character.

Warp 10 (Pepperoni) likes this.