A Semi-Hater Revisits Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TheGodBen, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Season long arcs might get boring, but certanly having more two and three parters wouldn't hurt... I would glady have the first 3 episodes in Season 4 dedicated to the Scorpion plotline instead of having to endure masterpieces like Demon or Concerning Flight...

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Oh, please don't pretend to know who is a good actor and who is not anymore. Because that concession robs you of every credibility. :lol: :p

Mission accomplished. :lol:

3. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

I'm not joking! Your avatar disturbs me!

And I've probably only seen about 20-25 episodes of Charmed and I agree that the acting is pretty atrocious but I like the special effects!

4. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

That doesn't really help you...=P

5. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

(Emphasis mine.)

Wait. Do you know where you are posting? :rommie:

Go to your User CP. On the left side, under 'Settings and Options,' click 'Edit Options.' Scroll down and look for 'Thread Display Options.' Uncheck the checkbox for 'Show Avatars.' :)

That took me a second. :rommie:

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that's just mean. Sure, we're an ugly bunch (except for me of course, I'm damn attractive) but you didn't have to say it. :( You've just hurt everybody's feelings (once again, except me because I know you couldn't possibly find me anything other than a sex god).

As for your comments on arcs, I've seen you say in other threads that DS9 is much better than Voyager and had greater continuity, so why are you suddenly opposed to arcs? DS9 was an arc-based show, they did a variety of episodes while still doing some great story arcs, such as the Dominion war. If you like DS9 then why are you opposed to arcs?

Let me put it another way; you said you liked the second part of Scorpion, so why not have them turn a one-hour experience which you enjoyed into a three-hour experience which you enjoyed? That's an extra two hours of a good thing, and I feel that it could have turned a good thing into a great thing.

7. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

OMFGWTF?! ?!!? MOJO!? :D Welcome back old boy. :techman:

8. Praetor

Wait... location Los Angeles... would that be none other than CGI god Darth Mojo?

9. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

^:lol: Might be I don't know.... I just know this MoJo from way back when. Hasn't shown his face 'round these parts in ages.

10. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

OK, none of you appear to be ugly but some of you are freaking me out with your make up and your long wet fringes...

As for the arcs argument. I like arcs sometimes but I don't feel the need to see stories stretched too long in Voyager, we already had DS9 that was dealing with big arcs. I expected Voyager to be moving quickly from place to place and to be encountering new and exciting things almost every week. All I really wanted from Voyager was more continuity and more consequences. I didn't want to see the ship being magically repaired or characters to be seemingly forgotten about (Samantha Wildman, Kes..) or any of the huge inconsistencies we saw but I didn't want conflicts to be unneccessarily strung out until boring point.
    I guess the ocassional arc when they happen to be passing thru a particularly large region of space ruled by some species or the other might be good but not to many - that might mean less fun one-off episodes which I enjoy.

Hmm yeah still a bit of a stigma attached to that I guess. I guess its my old past prejudices coming out, I've only recently gotten into Star Trek and embraced geekiness, before I wasn't so open minded...

11. Praetor

'Long wet fringes'? I'm hurt. :p

12. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

You should be happy I'm assuming its not a long greasy fringe.

13. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The guy in the cowboy hat wearing his gf's dungarees with a spiked pink neck-band doesn't freak you out as much as the guy with wet hair? I think I might just like you. :lol:

And DS9 was showing us how to do arcs reasonably well, so I would have liked for Voyager to follow DS9's lead and tell a story which has a chance to build and actually mean something, rather than rush the story in order to get it told in 45 minutes.

I would argue that nobody wants anything stretched out until it is boring, but if the writing is good then there is no reason to believe it is going to be boring.

Such as the vast and dangerous territory controlled by the Borg? ;)

I don't see why. DS9 still managed to tell a variety of different episodes within the context of the war arc, Voyager could have done the same.

Anyway, I went to see Star Trek tonight and I'm going to post my opinions on it in this thread tomorrow after I've let it settle a little. I'll post it here because I don't normally go into the Trek XI forum, and my opinions actually matter in this thread so it will carry more weight. ;) I'll try not to post many spoilers (although there is several events which I'll have to mention) but I'll spoiler code it so if you haven't seen the film don't go pressing any buttons. Don't worry, I'll get back to hating on Voyager soon.

14. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

I can't read it! I'm in the middle of exams and won't get a chance to see it until after Thursday at the earliest :-(
    You may wonder why, if I have exams, I'm spending so much time here....that's a good question. I've always been a victim of distraction :(

15. Praetor

My hair, greasy? Never.

I hope you enjoy yourself! :)

(I'll not be reading the spoiler code parts til Monday. I'm going to try to go see the movie when the theater across the street is relatively empty.)

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Great! So I will probably wear it for another week. :p

I'm looking forward to your review, but I already read in another thread that you were rather disappointed. I'm sorry to hear that. I thought it was an exciting movie. Granted, it's filled with some rather jarring plot inconsistencies and wasn't particularly deep, but it was fun to watch and I loved the cast.

17. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

What? You mean you don't LIKE people talking, shouting and texting to enhance your movie experience!?

18. neogothboy74

neogothboy74 Commander Red Shirt

Mission appreciated. :techman:

I like seeing who I'm talking to.

Agreed. I consider DS9 to have the best mix of stories and styles, yet it also has more arcs than most of the other Treks. DS9 starts with many small arcs that build over time...until around Season 5 when they all start colliding and you realize they're all tied to each other. It's the best of both worlds.

I'm seeing it on Monday also. I don't like crowds and hope to avoid them.

19. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:lol:

I like your avatar, by the way. The face paint is cool (kind of reminds me of Clockwork Orange) and your facial expression funny.

20. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

No its weird...just be normal and fit in :)