One of Tor.com's writers did a review of Diane Carey's Final Frontier

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Re: One of Tor.com's writers did a review of Diane Carey's Final Front

Yeah but did she write other really weird books?

2. Drago-Kazov

No more reviews?

I enjoyed the ones so far.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Look at the posting dates. She's not on a consistent schedule. I'm sure a new review will show up when it's ready, even though that could be a month or two away. :)

4. Drago-Kazov

Bump. Just in case there will be a recent review.

5. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

I remember I liked Ghost Ship but have only a vague idea of what it's about. On the other hand, I still have and remember Ship of the Line very well. I liked it a lot and would put it up there with some of the best action oriented Trek novels.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Picard locked himself in a sensory depravation tank in order to better empathise with the "ghost ship" crew. Riker decided Data was subhuman scum.

...oh wow, that reads like a TNG season 8 synopsis on twitter!:lol:

7. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

pre-beard riker has no right to stand in judgement over anyone

8. EmperorTiberius

Wow I don't remember that part. I only remember the beginning where the Ghost Ship destroys the Russian ship.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

In this case, he's talking about Ship of the Line.

10. EmperorTiberius

I don't think so. Picard doesn't do that in Ship of the Line, I remember it quite well. He does lock himself in a holodeck for a while in order to watch episode of Balance of Terror though.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Remember, Carey wrote this book so early in the process that all she had to go on were the writers' bible and the "Farpoint" script. And in the original writers' bible, "Bill" Riker's prejudice toward Data was presented as a significant facet of his character, something that would be an ongoing source of conflict between the two of them. Carey couldn't know at the time that it would never be mentioned again after "Farpoint."

All of the first original novels in the post-TOS series -- Ghost Ship, The Siege, The Escape, and By the Book -- were written by authors who had only series bibles and early scripts to work from. I think the reason Ghost Ship feels the most "off" in retrospect is because TNG was the series that underwent the most evolution and transformation in its early days, that diverged the most from what was written in the bible. But that's hardly Carey's fault. She did the best she could with the resources she had.

12. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. At any rate, that characteristic was reserved for Dr. Pulaski, I suppose--until she had an unexplained change of heart, mid-season.

Still--interestingly enough, Picard makes a brief reference to the envents of "Where No One Has Gone Before"--explaining why Wesley's on the bridge.

I'm guessing Diane had an early script, on that.

Still, I'll admit that Ghost Ship was my least favorite of Diane's novels--because none of the characters seemed particuarly sympathetic. They all seemed cold, and pretty flat.

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder how carefully the person read the book. April's condition that makes him 'slightly cold most of the time' and the saboteur having to disable locked doors are detailed in the story.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I remember not liking that book and some of the others around at the time which took Trek off in really fanciful directions.

I haven't read that many of Careys books outside of novelisations but did read Dreadnought and Battlestations years ago and enjoyed them. It's a pity the portrayal of Boma isn't consistent with 'That Which Divides', but there's no doubt lots of other issues as well.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I ran into that problem with my early DS9 novel. A few readers complained that Kira was too harsh to Bashir in that book, but, again, all I had to go on was the script for the pilot episode in which Kira does give Bashir a hard time. I picked up on that business and ran with it, not knowing that Kira and Bashir would get along much better in future eps . . . .