Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Haval_Runa

Haval_Runa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The purpose of this thread is simple (and I apologize if this has been covered before): the DS9 relaunch novels feature several original characters never seen on screen. Who would you like to see portray these characters on screen? Don't feel confined by the way the characters appear on novel covers, though. Being able to play the aprt is just as important as looking the part.

Is Sean Connery really the best choice for Vaughn? Who's androgynous, yet masculine, enough to play Shar? Who's got the acting chops to whine and angst as Prynn?

(before anyone feels the need to point this out, I realize that these characters will never appear on screen, and certainly won't be played by anyone listed here. This is really just a way of discussing what people think of the characters themselves, but in relation to a hypothetical on-screen performance.)

2. Doctor Phlox

Doctor Phlox Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Casting the DS9 Relaunch

I'm pretty sure this has been done before, but I missed the last one. Besides, I made some "casting" changes after reading Warpath, which was an excellent book.
    But anyway my character selections:

Vaughn--James Morrison
    Bowers--Rob Lowe
    Prynn--Rachel Luttrel
    Shar--Billy Mumy

3. quazar

quazar Captain Captain

I personally really dig Connery as Vaughn. His lines in alot of the books really translate well if you read them with a Connery accent.

BD Wong is a sensible choice for Shar. Watching a few Law & Order SVUs is all I needed to sell him as the Andorian. He has a great voice and delicate features that can range from very sad & compassionate to stony & angry. All ranges that an actor would need to play poor Shar.

For Sam Bowers another Law & Order actor, Jesse L. Martin.

Taran'atar: 5 Time WCW Champ Booker T

Prynn: I haven't found a good choice for Prynn yet.

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vaughn-Tom Selleck, Kent McCord, Chad Everett
    My pick: Selleck. He has the rugged thing, plus the twinkle in his eye that I imagine Vaughn has. Plus, I think Selleck could pull off a more world weary role as well, after he played Eisenhower.

Shar-Rainbow Sun Francks
    Francks is slender, has an openness, and I think he can pull off the alieness of Shar. I think CCH Pounder would be excellent for Shar's mother.

Bowers-Derek Luke, Anthony Montgomery
    Either one of these guys. Both are young and have muscular builds. I think Luke is the better actor, but I would like to see Montgomery get some screen time, and an important role, on a Trek show.

Taran'atar-Phil Morris, Tony Todd, Christopher Judge, Keith Hamilton Cobb.
    All of these guys could pull it off. But I think Morris and Todd could do the more settled, wise and wearied warrior better than the other two.

Prynn-Linda Park, Ming-Na, Kelly Hu
    Leaning towards Linda Park because I would like to see her get more time in another Trek role as well. Plus, I think she can pull off Prynn's rebellious, fun, and sexy sides.

5. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

For what it's worth, when I've written Taran'atar, it's been with Christopher Judge's voice. :)

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm... I tend to hear Carl Lumbly as Taran'atar.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

My imagination and my voice for everyone. :lol:

8. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

ooh, I like the idea of CCH Pounder for Shar's mother - thanks for that suggestion DarKush

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Elias Vaughn - Hmm. Connery without the Scottish accent, I suppose. Except, what's the point of an accent-less Connery? ;) Possibly Edward James Olmos.

Prynn Tenmei - It's got to be Grace Park. :)

Shar - Vincent Kartheiser of Angel fame. The guy can act, and he's effeminate enough that I can buy him as a chan.

Admiral Akaar - Hmm. Tough one. I honestly can't think of many incredibly tall character actors. Any takers?

Taran'atar - Ah, c'mon. After he's been a guest star so often, let's go ahead and give Tony Todd a regular role. ;) To expand things, though, I find that the voice of Taran'atar in my head also resembles somewhat that of Laurence Fishbourne.

Sam Bowers - Hmm. Jesse L. Martin works, though I think Bowers is supposed to be a little bit younger than that. Matthew St. Patrick of Six Feet Under fame also comes to mind.

Phillipa Mathias - Mary-Louise Parker (of Angels in America, West Wing, and theatrical fame). Just because we need an excuse to bring her aboard.

Treir - I'm tempted to typecast Cyia Batten as Treir, because she did an excellent job in a very horrible episode of ENT as Navaar. Suzie Plakston, of course, also comes to mind, though I think Treir's supposed to be younger than that.

Hetik - Give it to Nick Lachey. What the hell, the poor guy just got dumped, and he's certainly himboish enough.

Cenn Desca - Liev Schreiber, who played John Clark in The Sum of All Fears comes to mind, but I honestly can't recall what Major Cenn is supposed to look like. Alexis Denisof also comes to mind -- mostly because he's one of my favorite actors and I'd look for any excuse to have him aboard. He's probably got the wrong build for it, though.

Ethan Locken - It's got to be Anthony Michael Hall. The man did an amazing job playing Bill Gates in Pirates of Silicon Valley; combine that with the darkness of Johnny Smith from The Dead Zone, and you've got a great villain.

Mr. Cole - Also a tough one. Hugh Laurie, star of House, MD comes to mind. Of course, Agent Cole hasn't reappeared since Section 31: Abyss, so who the hell knows if he's going to be a major character or not?

First Minister Asarem Wadeen - Angela Bassett certainly comes to mind here. I might say Halle Berry if she was about ten years older.

10. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I created Treir, and Suzie Plakson was always who I had in mind for her, FWIW. :)

11. Sci

Can we expand this casting session (like we always do) and start casting other Novelverse characters, too?

'Cause I'd pay good money to see Bruce McGill as Koll Azernal.

12. Christopher

Good choice.

I go with Michael Shanks for Locken.

Odd choice. He's usually a comic actor.

I decided to be a traditionalist and cast Trek's one-man repertory company, Jeffrey Combs, as Cole. Let him play a human for once.

Hmm, that's who I decided to cast in the role. (I've mentioned it here before, though, so maybe that's what gave you the idea?)

13. Razuur2

Razuur2 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't know some of the mentioned characters yet because I am about to begin Mission Gamma pt. 2

Elias Vaughn - I actually view the dude on the covers. The model they picked fits perfectly for him I think.

Prynn Tenmei - Jennifer Garner - definitely not Rachel Luttrel

Shar - I don't really have a Shar - the model is a bit to kid like for me. I picture a twentyish effeminate male.

Admiral Akaar - I completely view him as the Akaar on the cover of Red King. That stony face is perfect.

Taran'atar - I can't really see an actor here, I just have a deep voiced Jem'Hadar in my head

Treir - Tricia Helfer with green skin...

14. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Treir is, has been, and ever shall be, Suzie Plakson.

Although, I must admit, the model on the cover of Twilight does look more than a bit like Patricia Tallman.

15. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bobbi Sue Luther for Trier.

Fred Thompson for Adm. Akaar. He doesn't have the height, but who would. However, he has that dead eye stare and intimidating authority that I imagine Akaar has. If not him, Bill Duke.

16. Sci

17. Razuur2

Nope I totally missed the asian thing...

I still see Jennifer Gardner. Sorry.

Its probably the whole Sydney Bristol thing with father issues....

To late for a recast now!

Patrick

18. Christopher

One would think the name Tenmei would've been a clue...

SolarisOne likes this.
  19. Haval_Runa

Haval_Runa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For what it's worth, I managed to completely miss the fact that Bowers is black.

A few of my own thoughts:

Shar-- Vincent Kartheiser. Pretty. Somewhat effeminate. Capable of great angst (he did Whedon, for godssakes).

Councillor zh'Thane -- Stockard Channing. I have a whole new respect for her since she's been on The West Wing.

Treir -- Suzie Plakson. Duh.

Taran'atar -- Christopher Judge. The character has a Teal'c quality already, and Judge's voice would help fill the void left by Avery Brook's rumbling bass.

Vedek Yevir -- Ed Wasser. No one can play as slimy as Mr. Morden.

Bowers: J. August Richards. Not sure why, seems to fit.

20. Razuur2

I guess the name didn't catch me as asian - I didn't think much of the origin.

Besides, I know a girl who has the last name Johnson, and she looks Asian. I know a woman who is black, and she has the last name Martinez. There are a lot of circumstances that could result in a different looks versus name ethnicities.

By the 23rd century, I am sure their has been enough racial mixing that people would not necessarily look like the culture theri last name represents.

Besides, I think of her as Prynn. Should I assume she is Vulcan?

She's Jennifer Garner to me. I don't see what the big deal is. It's my movie anyways... ;)

Patrick