Non-Trek - A Present for Mom

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I really like the texture too, but with the added texture of the canvas you might lose the fine details.

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I plan to keep the texture overlay with the dirt and scratches and roses in the corners but I'm going to lower the opacity, possibly as low as 25%. I probably will not use the canvas texture, though; I'm concerned that it will either disappear when printed on actual canvas or that it might muddy the image or even create a visible moire pattern.

Stuff left to do:

1. Finish rendering her legs and hip armor.
    2. Add the third "coat tail" from her left hip.
    3. Smooth and blend the halo light around her head.
    4. Make the skin tones a little less... florid? Oversaturated? Not sure exactly what's off but it needs some adjustment.
    5. Make some final tweaks to her hairline and match her ponytail to her hair texture.
    6. Finish rendering the sword, brighten the highlights, add the pommel, maybe add some etching and/or filigree to the blade.
    7. Brighten the armor overall, add some very slight specular bloom to the highlights, etching/filigree as appropriate.
    8. Finish rendering the wings.

If anyone has any other comments or suggestions, now's the time. I have to finish this and get it to the printer by Friday afternoon at the latest in order to get it back and have it framed in time for Christmas. Obviously I'm not going to have time for any major changes like a different pose or whatever, but I'm keenly interested in anything else I can reasonably do to improve it.

Thanks for looking.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Why not do both?

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I think splitting the difference is the right call there (though it does frame the subject very well as it is), but you might consider getting a small one printed as a test if there is time and it isn't going to set you back too much. It is always a hard call to make going from digital to printed when you only have one shot at it.

I really don't think you'll miss the canvas texture at all once it is printed.

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Oh yeah, regarding the canvas texture, I'd certainly lose that if it's gong to be printed on canvas. That would look weird. I always hate when there's a a fake texture competing with the same real texture.

--Alex

6. Vektor

I think this is pretty much final. For the record, I would say that feathers are kind of interesting to paint, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them fun.

[​IMG]

And finally, an enlarged view of some of the finer details:

[​IMG]

Now all I gotta do is somehow get it printed and framed in time for Christmas. Wish me luck!

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastically well done sir. Bravo. The wings look rather ethereal, as if they have more in common with the clouds than her more substantial human form. I don't know if it is intentional but an excellent result either way.

Clearly a labor of love.

8. Savage Dragon

Gorgeous. I'm sure your Mom will be thrilled to receive it.

9. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Well, now that Christmas has come and gone, one has to ask "How did you Mom like her one-of-a-kind present?"

10. Vektor

She loved it. However, the canvas print I had done came out with the colors rather muted and they positioned it too low on the stretcher boards, so I'm probably going to have it redone.

11. Savage Dragon

If you can post a picture of the finished product I'm sure everyone would love to see it. I'm glad your Mom liked it!

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hey Vektor, I was just looking at your avatar pic and the art here. You didn't pull a "Da Vinci" and feminize your face for this did you? ;)

13. Vektor

Well, not consciously. I would give the idea no credence at all except you're the second person to ask if I had done that. Personally, I don't see a resemblance.

14. Cascades

Cascades Ensign Red Shirt

Wow that looks GORGEOUS. And yes please can we see a photo of the canvas print :)