Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that supposed to be re: meth plot? If so there was really no reason to not let the viewer in on it this episode. It seemed to me they just needed to think up a way to break the water tower and that's what they came up with. I could be wrong.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Man, they hand out Deputy badges in this town like candy!

A somewhat decent episode, though I agree the insulin plot felt too much like another "crisis of the week" story they had to do to keep the stakes going. God, can Big Jim and Junior just fall into a plot-hole already?

And shouldn't the tower have already been out of water? Water towers are used for the storage of water for use during peak times. Water is pumped into the tower and for most of the day when people turn on a faucet the water comes from the system but not specifically the tank it's water already in the pipes, at the source, etc. But, say, early in the morning when everyone is up at around the same time making breakfast, taking showers, etc. there's too much demand on the system and water starts coming from the tower until the peak time is over. The tank fills back up so it's ready for use during the "evening rush" when everyone is home making dinner or taking evening showers.

But let us ride along with this idea: The town is likely cut off from its water source (the nearest filtration plant) because obviously it wasn't coming directly from the contaminated lake -otherwise the contamination issue would have came up earlier. So the only water source is the tower. Which, fine, that's basically what it is there for it can be a source for "backup" water supply in emergencies, but isn't it's been several days now and they've not used up the tank's water? Showers, baths, cooking, drinking and some people are still tending fields and farms. That's not a whole lot of water in those tanks, again it's used during peak-demand times in an intact system and that's enough to drain a tank.

I do agree that I think the truck that ran into the apparently flimsy tower pipe (which is actually two pipes in one, but whatever) was a 2013 Mack Deus ex Machina and had nothing to do with any other storyline. The show just needed something to run into the tank so, fuck it, crash a moving van into it. What else you going to use? A farmer driving his combine down the road or something?!

I'm waiting for the final episode where the radio station girl pulls out the "anti-dome device" from her ass as pretty much all she's done is been a McGuffin full of plot convenient knowledge and tech.

Man, this show is bad. But it's almost a "good bad" sort of like "Surface" from a few years ago. It's sort of fun to watch this train wreck of nonsense.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I also wondered why the appliance truck was being driven and also why the driver was such a bad driver. He should have been able to stop before her hit the water tower.

As there approached the lake I said to my son "There must be a good source of food in that lake". Then we saw the dead fish and I said "Nope, all poisoned". My son than asked "why haven't the town's people already been poisoned by the water".

My son also wants to know why the townspeople aren't digging up their yards to plant food. Surely some seeds are available in a rural area. They might be under this dome for months.

My son and are only watching the show so we can laugh at the stupidity in it.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's day three(ish).

It's pretty obvious that "The Dome" if the Dome is capable of caretaking, which they're starting to guess that it can, or the intelligence behind it can, that "it/they" flared up Samantha's diabetes to knock the truck into the water tower because it noticed that the lake had been poisoned.

Otherwise the story is unforgivably bad.

5. Trekker4747

No way it's day three, it has to be a lot more time than that. If it's only been three days then it's been the most hectic and dramatic three days in the history of the world PLUS the government went for the sub-nuclear option pretty damn quickly.

6. Miss Chicken

If it was only Day Three why would the hospital and some of the diabetics (2 out of the 3 diabetics we saw) be out of insulin?

7. Guy Gardener

ish.

When someone goes to the trouble of saying ish, first they know they're not right, and second they can't be bothered looking up the actual figure.

The most conservative estimate I could assume was 3 days, while the most liberal would have been 9 days.

Both guesses are quite ridiculous, and the answer is in the middle somewhere, but since 2 minutes worth of googling couldn't find me the actual answer: fuck it.

8. Miss Chicken

Will they are the world's worst diabetics, and even worse hospital, if most of them run out of insulin within a week or so. Insulin keeps for around 28 days at room temperature and much longer when refrigerated.

9. Trekker4747

I seem to recall a throw-away line last week saying it's been a week since The Dome went up. I guess everyone in town ran out of insulin at the same time?

10. Miss Chicken

^^^Except for the little boy.

11. Trekker4747

You mean Little Plot Heart String, Jr.?

And did anyone else sort of think the same thing I did when they discovered the lake water was contaminated? That they could just "filter" it by boiling it and then collecting the runoff/steam letting it drain into separate vessel? Effective making a still to clean the water? (Similar to how a "Solar Still" works to make sea water drinkable in survival situations.)

12. Guy Gardener

It took a week for the general store to figure out money didn't matter?

Very quickly there's going to be an epidemic of prostitution.

Food or batteries for sex.

The law has to figure out if they should jail 95 percent of the town, or legalize it.

13. Miss Chicken

I sort of wondered why the didn't realise that the dome would work like a sealed terrarium. The water that evaporated has to come back down sooner or later especially as they knew the smoke couldn't escape.

14. Guy Gardener

Just think about that.

Propane.

Flammable and explosive propane.

:)

but you're right about the solar still.

15. Trekker4747

Barbie lit the contaminated water on fire and it burned pretty nicely without much of an explosive result. Still, one way or another the water could have been easily cleaned/filtered with a still situation either a simple solar-powered one that just evaporates the water or heated one that boiled the water to filter it. (Boiling water wouldn't be hot enough to ignite the propane) Either way the lake was hardly a complete loss, there's ways to clean the water.

And, yeah, it did take some time for the economy of society to break down and, really, past time for law enforcement to effectively enact martial law and seize all necessary materials (food, water, medicine) for distribution.

16. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

These people keep driving in their cars and don't run out of gas. I guess that's why they needed all the propane.

And I guess as soon as the rain started falling, finding those two who murdered Beth Broderick wasn't so important?

And that Angie has to be the stupidest character ever. Get a gun and shoot Junior. Is it really that hard? Call him, tell him you're cured and to come over and then blow his freaking head off!

17. Trekker4747

Be fair, now. She's worn the same clothes for a week, hasn't slept or eaten much, nor has she peed or pooped. So she's likely not in her complete right mind. She may also be the teenage daughter of Kim Bauer.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Terrible.

Wish they'd just kill the whole lot of them now and the next five episodes be nothing but pictures of the town.

19. Guy Gardener

Did someone eat the half cow?

Is they didn't barbeque it instantly, a local degenerate would have had sex with it, and then it still would have been barbequed by some other clay footed son of a bitch.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Thought it was a pretty decent episode actually, and I like the way they're at least trying to address all the various issues that would naturally crop up during an event like this-- even if it's something as mundane as where they'll get their medication from.

The fact every crisis somehow gets resolved at the end of every episode doesn't really bother me too much, and doesn't really seem that jarring to me.

Although this time, I gotta say.... the way the rain put an immediate stop to the rioting was absolutely hilarious. The way the rioters go from being at each other's throats one minute, to hugging and laughing and slapping each other's backs the next, was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a while. :D

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013