Dare I Continue? (please avoid spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by AdmiralScreed, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Dare I Continue?

I found it weird that Archer was supposed to care about alliances and ideals that had no reality in his world during seasons 1-3. Whenever Future Guy showed up, I felt that Archer largely won the argument: why should he care about someone else's future? With all the concentration on the Temporal Cold War and the Xindi conflict, the show made little progress toward making interplanetary cooperation part of the Enterprise's universe (save some fealty from Shran). That work didn't begin until season 4.

ETA: for the sake of transparency, I should admit that I was tired of time travel stories by the time Enterprise began. And I started to roll my eyes at things like the ransacked library of the Federation.

2. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

I forgot to mention it at the start of this thread, but PLEASE, NO SPOILERS. Sorry for the late warning, but thanks for being considerate and not posting any spoilers.

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes.

It's no worse than the Ron Moore Galactica, which COMPLETELY loses the elegance of the original, and instead looks like a loose collection of bubbles with Bic lighter flames coming out the back of it.

4. RandyS

If I were you, I'd ignore that whole "It takes two years for a Star Trek show to get better" nonsense. It's NEVER been true, and as you will find out when you get there with ENTERPRISE, It's REALLY not true in this case.

5. AdmiralScreed

Do you not agree that TNG and DS9 improved after their initial seasons? Or even VOY? (which I think marginally improved with each season, until the last two seasons when I think it really blossomed)

6. RandyS

Well, there's always room for improvement. That goes for anything. I was just saying that I don't buy into the belief that TNG and DS9 were bad in their first two years. In both cases, they had some really good individual episodes and ideas. Plus, for me, listening to the Ron Jones Project CD collection re-enforced a belief that I'd had for years: that TNG's music was at it's best in the first two seasons, before the "sonic wallpaper" edict was put in place. And, in the case of DS9, without the Defiant, they spent most of their time on the station. Sometimes whole episodes. Since I tend to like "bottle" shows more than planet shows, this helped me to warm up to DS9 alot faster than I did to the other series.

I guess you could say that I'm somebody who doesn't follow popular opinion.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it might be fair to say that S1-2 of TNG was weaker than the later seasons, the same with DSN, but DSN's S1-2 were stronger than TNG's S1-2.

As for VOY, sure it had some of it's best epsiodes in later seasons. But i grew a little tired of what was becomming the Dctor, Janeway, Seven show. But saying that one of the best things about VOY was Robert Picardo as the EMH.

8. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I quite agree. I only watched random episodes past the first season of Voy, but EMH was the only thing to watch for. Message in a Bottle is the best Voy episode I watched.

For some reason in almost all trek shows, doctors make likeable characters (except for TNG, where both doctors kind of sucked).

9. RandyS

On Pulaski, I agree completely. She was nothing but a bad Bones rip-off. But I liked crusher.

10. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

That's a known fact about most TV shows in general, not just Star Trek. Shows almost always get better once the characters and plot are developed. That's usually a given.

I think most shows start out with that intention of defining itself and its characters. Once the bumpy first season is done, you can start really having some fun.

The opposite happens once a show is just on for too long. Oftentimes, the worst seasons are a show's first and last seasons. Not true for all shows. Just seems to be for most, from what I've learned.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  11. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

This is a pretty old comic, but I think it's relevant here. And true for most shows I can think of:

[​IMG]

Enteprise is least favorite Trek, but I'm sure if it had been allowed to continue it would have gotten better.

12. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

season 2 is all over the place. to soo soo to some really good to great episodes. an odd mid part while closing out strong.

13. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

I added a note to the thread title, hopefully that will help. Enjoy the show!

14. RandyS

I know this is off topic, and if you want to PM me to continue the discussion, feel free, but I can think of two examples where the first season is better than the third, and those are Sliders and SeaQuest, so I would disagree that it's a hard and fast rule.

15. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

It's definitely not a rule.

Just...seems to occur often.

I'm sure there are a ton of exceptions.

16. AdmiralScreed

Thank you!!! Much appreciated.

I've been busy the last several days, but hope to watch some more ENT very soon. Will keep you all updated with how I'm feeling about the show.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I also faded out during the second season but came back for the series finale that didn't inspire me want to watch the rest but it would be disappointing if the episodes I missed were the ones worth watching. I'm in the catching up with TOS phase, which I'm enjoying, but after that I'll give Enterprise another shot.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone should watch everything!

19. RandyS

Just Star Trek, or every episode of every show ever made?

I imagine THAT would take awhile....

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I meant just Star Trek, but upon reflection I mean all science fiction shows. That way they can talk to me and I will be interested in what comes out of their mouths.