"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, in a couple of days...it gets better. ;)

2. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Overall, I think this is shaping up to be pretty sweet.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

4. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Great first shot over the planet. It looks very good.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Vektor's been doing some awesome stuff, yeah. :)

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The show is the subject of a writeup on TrekWeb today.

POLARIS ON TREKWEB (link)

Oops. I missed that Dennis had already posted it.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

This looks very very good. Loved the sky shot at first. Thanks for the hard work.

8. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Given the personnel involved in this production, I really can't wait to experience the final product. The talent is apparent in the stills and, I'm sure, will be on the screen as well.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Looks great. Is it really a "fan film," though?

10. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

^Air is propagated throughout the ship using fans, so... yes.

Polaris gang, this looks super-awesome. I look forward to watching the finished product!

11. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Interesting question. Polaris really does blur the line between "fan production" and "independent production". Dennis will (of course) correct me if I'm wrong, but I really feel like he tried to find the best people available from the pool of "fan film" talents on both sides of the camera. Some have professional experience, so it's not just a bunch of fans saying "hey kids, let's put on a SHOW!", but the total budget probably wouldn't buy lunch (to coin a phrase) for most "professional" productions.

12. Melonpool

Melonpool Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I feel like Polaris (and to some extent, what I'm trying to do) is the natural evolution of the fan film. Instead of making something that's a carbon copy of an established property, we're trying to use the talents that usually go into a fan film to create something that's new and original, yet still has the elements we loved of the source material.

What's more, unlike a fan film, it's something that theoretically could be sold without Paramount or CBS or whoever owns the copyright having any say in the matter.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

You guys have it, more or less.

It's not a "fan film," no. It's a fairly ambitious short film being shot on an extremely limited budget (our tongue-in-cheek motto is "ten pounds of potatoes in a five-pound sack") by volunteers many of whom have worked primarily on fan films in the past. We're trying to leverage what we've learned and the various improvisations we've come up with on fan films to do something original (in the sense,at least, of not being derived directly from an existing property).

And yeah, it belongs to us - we have at least the possibility of recouping our investment, since no IP lawyers from the studios have any reason to get involved. :lol:

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Do you guys have any idea how you are going to monetize the thing? Or is it too early to ask such a question? Either way, it looks very ambitious, and I'm looking forward to it far more than I am any fan films out there.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

It is early but yeah, we have some ideas.

Keeping a lid on costs has helped a lot.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

17. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

18. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has there been any discussion amongst the Polaris crew about the new Space Command show Doug Drexler et al are putting together? Do you have any sense of competition with the new guys? Do you think you'll have a release first? You have a pretty good crew -- has there been any crossover from your production team to theirs?

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

To my knowledge there isn't any competition. I don't know who'll get out there first. The advantage they have is they're raising money to pay people, and it's easier to make a production move faster when people can make it a full-time job for a period of time.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

I think that those are all "No," other than that we've watched the progress of the Kickstarter fundraising campaign with obvious interest and have discussed that a bit.