We have lost TrekBBS moderator Mallory.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by T'Bonz, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I never had the opportunity to get to know him personally, but I certainly remember Mallory for being one of the kindest and coolest posters around. I didn't even know he was ill. :(

RIP Mallory.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

So sorry to hear this. :(

RIP, Mallory. :mallory:

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

This is so very, very sad.

RIP Mallory.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Mallory was an inspiration to keep fighting for anyone facing a serious illness. His bravery, kind heart, good humor, love of family, and fairness even in the face of his own mortality show the strength of his character and conviction.

Best wishes to his family in these trying times. He will be missed.

5. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow... I am so sorry to hear of this. :( Regretfully, I didn't have much interaction with him. Perhaps a couple of times in various threads. I'd read a number of his postings over the past couple of years and always thought rather highly of him. I loved his "Saving Ensign Mallory avatar". I'm very sorry he couldn't be saved. My sincere condolences...

[​IMG]

6. Thena

Thena Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sad news. My thoughts are with his family and those of you who knew him better than I did. :( :mallory:

7. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So sorry to hear this. He was a fantastic poster and mod. I'll miss seeing him around here.

8. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

We should retire that avatar.

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. Every time I see it, that's who I think about. Well before this, I would see that image around on the net and would immediately think of Mallory.

10. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Condolences to his family. Mal shared his struggle with his health, his joy for his children and his love for his wife. He made his time here poignant, funny and fair.

RIP :mallory: our favourite redshirt!

11. CaptJack

CaptJack Captain Captain

I didn't know Mallory, but I often read through his posts. He was a fixture in this community, and it will not be the same without him.

12. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I regret I never really interacted with Mallory, but he certainly made his presence known, both as a fair, level-headed moderator and as an all-around great poster. He shall certainly be missed on this board.

My sympathies to his friends and family.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

wow, that was sucky news to see early in the morning. i had no idea he had been so ill, (istr some mention of past illness, but had no idea what or how bad) and i can only say i am sorry to hear of his passing and wish his family and friends well.

i grieve with thee.

14. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

In my very first days on this intimidating place called trekbbs some 8 years ago, Mal actually took the time to acknowledge my insignificant, noobie existence :) I probably said something stupid enough to attract the moderator's attention... but I have never forgotten how much his kind words meant to me.

He was just a warm and welcoming soul. Many of us probably found him our friend before we even realized it. I'm so very sorry he is gone. In my five years with him on staff.. there were times.. heh.. when I needed a friend and well, he was there. He would find you and let you know that you were not alone... wrong, right, or otherwise - you were only human; doing your best. Mallory had a way of making you feel as though you would never be left behind.

I have only just begun to miss him these last few days. His personal struggle, documented over several years in the BR, was an intimate and immediate source of inspiration. It spoke completely to his strength of character and to his love of this life. The board, and a little piece of our world, will never seem the same. But its ok because we have all worn the redshirt in our time. We have all been in the wrong place at the wrong time when it was right to take a stand. Of our old friend, I can only say that despite his online persona, he helped us all understand that the joy and the work and the fun of life always, always goes on.

godspeed, dear friend

15. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I thought he had been doing better...Mallory and his family will be in my prayers.

RIP Mallory

16. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

That's awful. RIP. :(

17. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

Five or six years ago, I remember being upset about an embarrassing situation I was going through involving an ultrasound, an attractive technician, and the slippery goo they squirt all over you to perform the scan. Mallory gave me some much needed perspective and comfort when he told me had testicular cancer and pretty much suffered every indignity imaginable.

He was a really nice fellow, I wish I knew him better.

18. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

RIP Mallory. A great guy. Sending good thoughts to his family.

19. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, what awful news. I didn't know him that well, myself, but he sure did have a lot of friends here. My condolences.

20. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

:weep: Very sad news.