Stargate to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Dream, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

'Stargate' to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

I'm guessing Emmerich will completely ignore the series, and the movie and show will now be Alternate Universes.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Let's be cautious here. A couple of years ago there was news of a possible movie revival that would ignore the series, and it turned out that it was just Dean Devlin saying he wanted to do that, and nothing ever came of it. This sounds like more of the same. Emmerich is saying he intends to do a reboot, and that he proposed it to MGM, but he never says that MGM has agreed to his proposal. Until MGM says they're onboard, there's no reason to give this any more credence than the stuff from two years ago.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dean Devlin's been trotting this claim out every so often dating at least as far back as 2006. Well, okay, this time it's different in that it's going to be a reboot with a new cast as opposed to the previous plan to do a sequel with Kurt Russell and James Spader which ignored the series.

And in all honesty, I'll admit it's a valid idea. The Stargate franchise is dead, a reboot seems inevitable at some point and why not try it out as a film series? But Devlin and Emmerich? Sorry, that just doesn't excite me. The original Stargate movie is okay and has its entertainment value, but those two aren't exactly the best choices to make a movie. Any movie. Though I'll admit, Stargate could do much worse...

4. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I'll be interested in anything that happens involving Stargate, but this isn't news. These two have been talking about their intentions for almost a decade now. If their intentions were all it took there would have been two sequels made directly after the first movie. Wake me up when something has been greenlit.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Not going to happen. Every other year Emmerich comes out and says this garbage, no one ever believes him because MGM has never said anything, and never will. If MGM wants a reboot they can get better people and their knowe it.

He's full of himself.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'd echo what others have said, rumours of a sequel to the original Stargate movie have been circulating for several years and nothing has ever come it. Even if MGM were to greenlight a new movie(s) it might be years before any movie sees the light day.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Woah woah. That's how stuff gets blown out of proportions.

He said they were talking about it. They were not even talking, they just pitched it. That's all.

Stop jumping at everything, people.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

This is from the same people who tell us every year about the ID4 sequels coming out! Believe it when they start filming.. lol

9. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Ha ha ha. He does this every couple of years!

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Although I have the same doubts as everyone else, due to the many previous claims that never led anywhere, but, just to play Angel's Advocate, he actually states pretty soon they'll be looking for a writer. Have the previous claims gone so far as to indicate they were about to start writing it?

11. Christopher

^Looking for a writer doesn't necessarily mean anything. There are countless spec scripts that nobody's bought, scripts in development that never get produced, etc. Hiring a writer is often a stage in the pitching process rather than the production process.

12. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

They don't need any studio approval or involvement to look for a writer or do a treatment or an outline. From my understanding those types of things happen all the time before studios get involved. Or he could just mean finding a writer to propose to the studio. The ONLY thing different about this claim is that he's transitioned from continuation to reboot. It's still nothing but smoke right now.

Not to mention that he didn't even say that they have started to write it, he says "pretty soon we'll have to start looking for a writer." I have no idea what that means.

13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Even if this was to happen, I wouldn't be excited. The original movie was pretty weak (although it was still better than Stargate Universe, which was barely a Stargate series) and SG-1 was what made the series as famous as it is, so I don't see how ignoring that would make for a good movie. Besides, after star trek, when I hear that a franchise I like is getting rebooted, I just can't think of it being any good. It could be done, but honestly I'd rather them just let the franchise stay dead.

14. Christopher

It means he's trying to make it sound like there's actually some movement.

15. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

This from Gateworld:

A source told GateWorld that, while preliminary conversations are taking place between the producers and the studio, the project is not yet in development. The director’s comments indicate that the next step in the process is to hire a screenwriter. Any official production commitment from the studio would likely require at least a completed script that all parties are happy with.

16. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

This from Gateworld:

A source told GateWorld that, while preliminary conversations are taking place between the producers and the studio, the project is not yet in development. The director’s comments indicate that the next step in the process is to hire a screenwriter. Any official production commitment from the studio would likely require at least a completed script that all parties are happy with.

17. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

IMO, Devlin and Emmerich kept trotting this out every once and a while during the runs of the various Stargate TV series in an attempt to draw attention from them and/or try to de-legitimize them in the eyes of fans of the original movie. Now, it's possible that they're just a bit delusional.

18. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

First off, I don't think the Stargate movie was better than SGU but that's because I think SGU was the best of the entire franchise. Second, your position that you would rather see a franchise die to cling to your aging memories of them rather than see them continue in a rebooted mode just makes you nostalgic fanboy rather than someone who really has the best interest of a franchise at heart. Stargate is fast fading from public memory and Star Trek was also gradually slipping from public consciousness before the reboot sparked renewed interest.

I'd rather a franchise survive and grow than die because I may feel some angst about all my "accepted fantasy related" beliefs might be threatened or re-imagined. In fact, I find it odd that so many aging fans probably share such a childish reaction. But that's just me.

19. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

For a movie reboot, let's hope it is a good script, so there could be a trilogy with box office success. :vulcan:

20. Christopher

I would rather see the TV version of the Stargate universe revived and continued. Not because I have any intrinsic objection to reboots, but because it's a very rich and broad universe and there's plenty of room for continuation or expansion. I'd still like to see a sequel series set after knowledge of the Stargates has become public, and explore how that affects human society.