Star Trek Into Darkness DVD/Blu-ray Art

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Jul 19, 2013.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The box art for the forthcoming Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D and DVD Star Trek into Darkness sets has been released. Star Trek into Darkness on Blu-ray and DVD will be released September 10, with the digital version to debut on August 20. Click on the thumbnail images to enlarge.

More...

2. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I love the middle one.

3. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm the odd one out, I guess. It looks like the nacelle's were clumsily cobbled together in photoshop, the ship's name is curved instead of straight, and the registry is missing.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

They deleted the hull registry and expanded the name of the ship for non-Trekkies to clearly know (with absolute certainty) it is the Enterprise.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which they went and put off-centre, like they painted it on while drunk. Ugh!

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I love the middle one! Can't wait to own this!!

8. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

At least they got the lens flare correct... ;)

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, a lensflare joke.... how come no one ever thought of one those before....??? ;)

Anyway, I like the art for the 3D version, but no way in hell am I buying that, don't even have a 3D tv, I hate 3D. Thankfully, it's about the movie, not the cover art, so I'll live with the normal BR cover.

10. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That just looks dumb, not to mention totally inaccurate. :rolleyes:

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I just don't understand how it can bother anyone? I've seen plenty of inaccurate interpretations of the ship over the years.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's so horrible, those DVDs will never sell!

13. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because it's pointless. Is having the name of the ship rather than it's registry number really going to make someone more likely to buy the movie? As if they would pass on it until looking closer and realizing that, oh hey, that's the Enterprise! I would think anyone who would buy it would already know that that ship is the Enterprise or at least know that NCC-1701 = Enterprise.

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Speaking for myself, I'm not actually bothered...but that doesn't mean it doesn't look terrible to me.

15. C.E. Evans

Not everyone who buys this movie is a long-time, card-carrying Trekkie (some aren't even buying it for themselves, but for others they know who are Trekkies). Such people don't pay attention to the NCC-1701 registry at all (it's just a bunch of random numbers to them), but they're more familiar with the name U.S.S. Enterprise. They know U.S.S. Enterprise = "Star Track."

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

But it says STAR TREK right on the cover.

Why would you need to screw the ship up to let people know it's Star Trek?

If you can read "ENTERPRISE", you can read "STAR TREK", right?

17. C.E. Evans

And?
    They didn't screw up the ship. It's just a depiction of the Enterprise on a DVD/Blu-ray sleeve. Other depictions have shown the ship entirely blurred or with strange lights sticking out of it where there should be none. It's not like it's end of the world.
    If it helps new or casual customers who are unfamiliar with NCC-1701 to see U.S.S ENTERPRISE in bold letters on the ship instead, what's the harm? It's not like it's going to look like that in the movie.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Helps them how?

Helps them understand they're looking at a Star Trek product about the Enterprise, as opposed to a Star Trek product that isn't about the Enterprise?

The point was that it doesn't help anything.

19. C.E. Evans

Of course it does if you look at it from the point of a Trek newbie or someone with only a casual interest in Trek. It's just a promotional image for the DVD/Blu-ray sales, nothing to get bent out of shape about.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

He doesn't seem bent out of shape.

I wish I could meet some of the people who want to buy the new Star Trek movie but would be confused over the registry being on the ship...they sound like interesting folk to me. :)