How desperate are you for a new Trek TV series?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jedi_Master, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

The thread title says it all.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not at all.

There's seven hundred-plus hours of Star Trek plus novels and comics that tell new stories featuring all the characters. Simply, there's more than enough material to keep me entertained for the rest of my life (I'm 42).

Currently I'm reading the TOS novel No Time Like the Past by Greg Cox. Which features a Voyager regular character.

3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I would love one, but it's got to be done right - ambitious, entertaining, funny, gripping, everything a successful TV show needs to be these days.

No more Berman-era alien of the week crap, I want a solid premise, good story arcs, great characters, and set in the JJ timeline after the current movies finish, a return to the prime timeline would smack of looking back, not forward and I think it would confuse audiences, especially casual viewers looking to get hooked on a new show.

Wether or not anything happens is anyone's guess at this point, let's hope ST3 does 600million plus first...

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I would love a Star Trek Series. I don't care about the Timeline, I just want a Space opera, and Star Trek has always had a nice balance of fun and drama.

If not Star Trek, I'd like any Space Opera, but, again, I want a nice balance between fun and Drama.

Arc'ed with a mystery and Politics and Religion and exploration of the Races' Cultures would be my preference

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Desperate is the wrong word 'Yearnful' is better. I want a new Trek series but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

And frankly, I'd probably get more from a completely new 'Aliens and spaceships' style series that's run on a premium network than a new Star Trek series. There's a zillion stories to tell in the Star Trek universe but I'm almost more content to let the fans take ownership of telling those stories and let the big money go to somebody else's creative vision.

6. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

This. Desperate conveys the wrong emotions and I have hours upon hours of TV & movies to keep me entertained. I would love a new Trek show but it would have to be done right, which means...

1. Prime Timeline. Which SHOULD have been done instead of JJ running back to Kirk etc in my opinion.
    2. Well written, like Enterprise seasons 3 & 4 not seasons 1 & 2.
    3. Lets create a deeper, more permanent show like DS9 with the adventure of TNG/VOY.

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll do anything to get STAR TREK back on the air, do you hear me? ANYTHING!!! Because I can't ... live ... without it!!! :klingon:

8. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

9. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I could be interested in a series which is a sequel to TOS and its movies and a prequel to TNG, i.e. set in the first half of the 24th Century (How would you call that - "equel"?). :)

Bob

10. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

If they made another one, I'd definitely watch it, but with hundreds of hours of episodes already out there I wouldn't care if they never did it again.

I've been more than satisfied with what we've already got.

11. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I would love a new Trek series. I prefer a series in the Prime timeline and for it to be post-Dominion War (not necessarily post-Nemesis or post-Voyager).

12. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Desperate is relative, I guess. I'd really really like a new Trek series, done well. I'm DESPERATE to quit having this feeling of impending doom that was with me while I was growing up, up until about 16, and is now suddenly back with this situation in Ukraine.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Enjoy . . .. :)

14. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not desperate, but I'd like to see more Trek. How about centering on a different member of the Federation besides Earth? Andoria could stand to be expanded upon. Or some culture that is new or one that was seen only in passing, like the Bolians.

15. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as it brings back the FUN of STAR TREK, sir ... it doesn't matter what it's shortcomings might be. It could have a premise that's completely Ludacris - as long as it's entertaining, that forgives a lot of sins, does it not?

16. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I would watch every episode of a new Star Trek, I'm not happy with the current direction and I think Trek got tired back with Voyager's first season. If there was to be a new Trek, it'd really need to be handled right.

I would much rather see a new space opera franchise. The Trek formula of a hero ship and hero crew exploring strange new worlds doesn't need to be limited to Star Trek. We've had Stargate, Firefly, Farscaspe and Babylon 5, but they all have b een different than space exploration stories.

I would love to see something like Poul Anderson's Ensign Flandry or Robert Heinlin's Space Cadet. I even think Anne McCaffrey's Brawn and Brain series could be a great basis for a series. I think David Gerrold tried to do this with his Star Wolf series (but not on TV.)

I want to see something like Star Trek, only without the continuity baggage. Fresh slate.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm happy with big movies every few years, and monthly novels.

That said, a new series with the fun and adventure of TOS/nuTrek (and none of the pretentious twaddle of TNG) would be awesome.

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'm not even remotely desperate for a new Trek series, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to see one. But if it's going to be just another reboot, I'll pass as it'll be my cue I've outgrown Trek.

19. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

There's no way for fans to know a-priori whether new Trek would be good or bad because all we can do is judge what came before. Real talent in Hollywood is capable of doing good work with anything they are given. The trick is for the gatekeepers to put the franchise into the right hands. That's where the ball is usually fumbled right at the start.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

:shrug: If it happens, it happens.