into darkness extended edition [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, May 19, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After reading into darkness the novel i have realized there are a lot of scenes that were cut such as where carol marcus explains that she grew up in england and that is why she has the accsent. Also there is a scene that explains kahns transwarp beaming. So what are the chances of a extended edition being released.

2. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

Re: into darkness extended edition

Didn't Khan steal the transwarp device (in the bag) when bombed Section 31? Kirk was looking at a picture and asking "What's in the bag?" right before Khan attacked the meeting.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say close to zero. They will be added as separate deleted scenes on the dvd/blu-ray, like with the first one.
    Abrams and some of the writers have even said so in a few interviews.

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I would assume that scene was cut for the obvious reason - we don't need to be told she grew up in England, we can simply assume it based on her accent. Including that scene would have been unnecessary.

Exactly. Scotty says Khan used a portable transwarp device, so it stands to reason that the big duffle bag Khan took from the Section 31 debris contained said device. I'd say that's another situation where the audience doesn't need things to be explicitly spelled out for them; rather, Abrams trusted the audience to connect the dots, as he did with Marcus and her accent.

The oddity here, though, is how lucky Khan must have been that the device wasn't destroyed when his bomb detonated.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The author of a novelization often extrapolates from a script to add material. Sometimes missing scripted scenes will be included, and sometimes filmed-but-cut sequences are novelized, but some of the scenes in this book might have been the creation of Alan Dean Foster - and never shot.

The last film's unused footage went into a "bonus scenes" section of the DVD and cut scenes were added to the IDW "Nero" comic mini-series and the IDW adaptation. JJ has said that he's not keen on making Director's Edition versions.

6. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

/\ This. Having read the book, and being familiar with ADF's style of writing, my gut feeling is the extra material (except for the 'Carol comes from England' bit which Alice Eve mentioned was cut out) was all Foster. You could almost feel him 'hitting the pause button' and saying "OK, how do I cover this plot hole?" So what was in the screenplay was what made it onscreen, with virtually no cut material except for the Carol bit.