The next two DC DTV animated movies revealed?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Warner Bros has been playing things close to the vest in terms of the next couple of DC DTV animated movies following Wonder Woman. Even though they're already working on them, they're only planning on announcing them in the fourth quarter this year. But a blogger on TAG (The Animation Guild) related what he saw being worked on when he popped into various animation studios recently and it seems he's let the cat out of the bag. According to him the next two DTVs will be Green Lantern and Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

This is the exact quote:

I've been hoping that the fifth title would be Green Lantern, so I'll be stoked when/if this is confirmed. Further evidence that it is the fifth title is that Andrea Romano mentioned it in talking about her work on the upcoming releases. It wasn't quite clear whether she was just saying it as one of the hypothetical titles, since she added an "or whatever" after mentioning GL, or whether she'd inadvertently slipped and revealed the title. It seems the latter may well have been the case. Of course we don't know yet exactly which GL storyline it'll be. I think "Sinestro Corps War" is the most likely.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

ooh! public enemies! I hope they keep a scene with powergirl

"how do we distract a teenager?"
    *everyone looks at Powergirl*
    "What?......oh"

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What's Public Enemies?

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The opening six-issue story arc of Superman/Batman written by Jeph Loeb.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is totally unexpected but has very interesting prospects considering it told the story of the downfall of Luthor's Presidency and re-introduced the purple and green battlesuit! This could be interesting, it also set the stages for the creation of Mike Turner and Jeph Loeb's Supergirl! I wondering if they're going to incorperate elements from the Supergirl arc into Public Enemies?

As for the Green Lantern project...I so hope they adapt Sinestro Corp Wars! I thought the Teen Titans DVD was coming out after Wonder Woman though?

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

An incredibly stupid arc of Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman (but then, really, pretty much all of S/B could be described that way). Though Ed McGuinness's art would lend itself to animation a lot easier than most (though, so far, the pledge to try to follow the art styles of the source materials has been completely hollow, apart from in NF, and that was more a cause of Cooke's art being a Timm-takeoff to begin with)

As to Green Lantern, I'd lean more towards them doing an origin story, though they touched a bit on that in New Frontier (though only cursorily, in a lot of respects; there'd be plenty of room to do one that focussed more on Hal actually being Green Lantern, with space adventures, Sinestro, the Guardians, etc.). I can't imagine them doing "Corps War" in 75 minutes, particularly without Rebirth preceding it.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract has been put on indefinite hold. They're not sure it would sell well enough.

8. CaptainCanada

Bizarro logic, I must say; Teen Titans just had a very successful TV show that ran for five seasons, and has for the last 25 years generally shown more commercial appeal than Wonder Woman or Green Lantern.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Yeah, I would have thought the Titans would sell well enough. The above is their stated reason for it being put on hold. There's speculation that the real reason is that Warners is wary of a PG-13 Titans animated movie being put into the marketplace alongside DVD sets of the very popular and young-skewing series, and perhaps ending up with a lot of complaints on their hands.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn it...I was looking forward to seeing the Judas Contract! So they're admiting their first mistake in the animation department huh?

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

"Public Enemies" (issues #1-6, illustrated by Ed McGuinness), then-U.S. President Lex Luthor declares Superman and Batman enemies of the state, claiming that a kryptonite asteroid headed for Earth is connected to an evil plot by Superman. Luthor offers a $1 billion bounty, which encourages both supervillains and superheroes to attack. Superman almost kills Lex, with Batman standing aside. Superman changes his mind at the last moment.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I gotta agree about the art. The character designs and animation style are just minor variations of the Timm style. And the WW movie looks to be the same. It basically looks like the JLU Wonder Woman, but with a longer face. lol :D

It WOULD be cool to see a faithful translation of McGuinness's style though.

13. CaptainCanada

I don't mind at all, personally; modern styles of comic art are, for the most part, far too detailed to be transferred to animation on a reasonable budget; it's just that Timm and co. know that, and shouldn't have promised something that they weren't going to deliver.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Huh? No, they're not admitting a mistake. They had said earlier that The Judas Contract was one of the projects they were considering doing, and then they found that fan interest to that announcement was lukewarm, so they concluded that it would not be profitable to proceed with the project. There's no mistake involved in floating a proposal and tabling it when support fails to materialize. On the contrary, the mistake would be proceeding despite the negative feedback.

15. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any chance Last Son could be made into another movie? I know that's getting Superman heavy, but Superman IS DC.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I haven't heard anything about Last Son, but there could be any number of things that they're considering that we don't know about. There has been word that they're considering an animated movie based on All Star Superman.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really liked the first trade of Superman/Batman, but I don't mind the Jeph Loeb "hero and villain studded cast investigating murder mystery" cliche. Of course the gorgeous art helped a lot!

Would they really start a movie with Lex already President, though? Maybe the opening act could be his election or something.

18. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't read Public Enemies, so this may be a stupid question, but how can Luthor convince people that a Kryptonite asteroid is connected to Superman? Do people not know his weakness is Kryptonite? A Kryptonite asteroid hitting Earth would be just as bad for Superman as it would be for humans.

19. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

God, I hope so. All-Star is tops.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

My picks for future movies

Superman For all seasons and maybe "Red Son"

Batman Hush and long halloween