Mind Meld Motive (SPOILER)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shatnertage, May 22, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Spock melding with Pike is another one of those not fully thought through, reversed TWOK references.

You mean he was going to mind rape him.

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

In the prime timeline Spock was willing to risk a great deal for Pike, and it obviously went beyond logic, although it was presented if he was making the logical choices. He felt pretty strongly about Pike. In this timeline he did not have the chance to work with him for years, so it would be weaker, but with all the events that happened some of it would be there. Why wouldn't he meld with him?

I thought Khan thought that his crew was killed and Spock wanted to reveal it wasn't before driven by his anger he went to cause even more destruction.

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Why did Spock mind meld with Pike?
    1. Curiosity about what it was like to die.
    2. To try to bring some comfort to Pike.
    3. To gather eyewitness information about the attack that was about to become unavailable otherwise.

Likely, all three reasons and more. Spock is a complex thinker.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I had similar thoughts, though I'm not really sure what good it would do.

5. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Only if they use it in the next movie. If Spock starts flipping out like McCoy did in the original movies they could use it as part of the plot. With Vulcan gone it may be a lot harder finding Vulcans with the talent to deal with it.

6. Malefacto

Malefacto Cadet Newbie

Personally, I thought Spock melded with Pike to save a little part of him, knowing he couldn't save the body, he tried to save a bit of his mind.
    With Kahn, I think Spock pulled a crow, transferring the emotion he felt watching Kirk die. Just a feeling based on the look on Kahn's face after it happened.