Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I always thought a mix of organic and mechanical shooters would make most sense. Like, Peter could develop a web-secreting gland on his back, and then he'd figure out a way to dissolve the web into liquid and fire it with wrist cannons that possibly have tiny mechanical spider legs around the tip that weave it into different shapes as it's coming out.

More "plausibly", the super spider that bit him was also infested with nanobots that monitor/repair its volatile DNA. The bots start performing the same function in Peter, he figures out how to reprogram them, and one of their new functions actually becomes guiding the liquid web into whatever shape Peter imagines, and later making it disappear.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not completely sold on Garfield's look, but he's a splendidly talented actor. He got raves for Never Let Me Go and his performance in The Social Network was terrific; it sold me on him as a solid, talented actor.

From what I heard, Sam Raimi's plans for Spider-Man 4 were kind of terrible. Peter and MJ getting married, dealing with twins, The Vulture as a villain (who is one of the weaker villains of Spidey's Rogues Gallery in my opinion) and creating a new character called "The Vulturess", which also sounds pretty terrible.

I have a lot of faith in Sam Raimi as a filmmaker, and I was eased by his comments that he wanted to go out with a bang and realized the faults of Spider-Man 3, but I don't blame Sony/Columbia for rebooting the franchise, either. The cast, including Tobey Maguire (who is pushing 30, playing a character traditionally viewed as a high school teenager), aren't getting any younger and we've already had three films from Raimi and that cinematic universe. I'm open for a new interpretation.

Also, the film's director, Marc Webb, is wonderfully talented. If you want some validation on that just watch his debut feature film (500) Days of Summer, which was one of my favorite films from 2009.

I'm willing to give this reboot a chance.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having read a purported treatment for "Spider-Man 4" and remember reading all of the rumors and reported characters, sounded truly horrid. It was described by one reviewer as essentially being "Spider-Man 3 Part II". John Malkavitch had been confirmed as the Vulture a week before Sony bailed on the project lol. I don't remember the twins part or Peter and Mary Jane being married in the movie...but I wouldn't be surprised. The Vultress character was someone completely new but also a mesh of the Black Cat since it was supposed to be Felica Hardy and Anne Hathaway was being heavily considered for the role at the time.

I'm willing to give this a chance. Everything they've done so far is taking things in the right direction.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I see no connection between that and the airy bed-head in the pictures linked above.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Still no news about who they are planning to cast as Mary Jane? So they aren't going to use her for this movie? :confused:

6. Admiral_Young

MJ won't be used for this film.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure the studio were foisting Vulturess on Raimi - he wanted to have Black Cat. In fact, they may even have been insisting on The Vulture. IIRC, Raimi wanted to have Dylan Baker (finally) play The Lizard but the studio felt that he wasn't enough of a draw for the main villain. Yes, as oppose to those box-office behemoths like Alfred Molina, Thomas Hayden Church, etc ...

8. Admiral_Young

^ That's certainly possible. We know the studio pushed Venom on Rami for the third film.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

that was Avi Arad.

10. Admiral_Young

^ You know what I meant :)

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does that mean C. Thomas Howell won't be available to star in The Aslyum's Man-Spider? :lol:

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Wow I remember him from "The Warriors" and Elliot's brother's friend from E.T.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Howell isn't a bad actor, but his career just fizzled out quicker than others, already doing straight-to-VHS titles in the 1990s.

15. Admiral_Young

Not to mention playing Ponyboy in "The Outsiders".

16. Samurai8472

Gloves possibly hiding organic web shooters?

[​IMG]

I still have my homemade webshooter inspired by the first movie

[​IMG]

The production crew toyed with webshooters before going the organic route. They even had a screensaver on the official website.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Admiral_Young

^ That's pretty cool. Aren't they shooting in LA right now? I was going to suggest Andrew could be wearing them because it's cold...but I guess hiding organic webshooters is a good guess.

18. Samurai8472

On second thought, with the way Emma/Gwen is dressed I'd say the scene could take place in the fall.

19. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah...plus the first on set pic was them at a funeral during rain too.

20. Admiral_Young

Stan Lee's cameo is confirmed. In the article it mentions that fans maybe still alienated by the decision to reboot the film franchise...so I was wondering, who still feels like that? I must admit that I thought it was a bad idea and was against the reboot but from what I've read and seen so far it looks like they're on the right target and will give it a chance. A trailer will fully convince me. What about those who might still be on the fence or are ignoring it?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stan-Lee-Gets-Another-Spider-Man-Cameo-22551.html