Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Trekker4747, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that sums it up well.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

In fact, it made a better Indiana Jones movie than the Crystal Skull ;) With the marketing for Uncharted 3, they even had Harrison Ford play it.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I guess my main problem with Uncharted was that shooting people was really all there was to do. In Tomb Raider, killing people was not what you spent most of your time doing. In that respect I guess Uncharted just felt mindless and shallow to me.

I suppose it doesn't help that I've never been much of a Bond fan and it takes more than a series of flashy set pieces and scripted events to hold my interest. I like a little more scope in my action adventure games, with a little more emphasis on the adventure and a lot less over-dependence on the action.

Again, this is all just personal preference, but I like there to be many peaks and valleys in gameplay. Too much non-stop action and it just becomes a meaningless blur. I like Tomb Raider's semi-open areas as it offers some nice calm, but still challenging gameplay that's only occasionally punctuated by some exciting action.

Hell even in straight up shooters (the good ones) this is the case. I mean how much time playing HL2 was spent in a pitched gun battle compared to how much was spent just exploring the environment, enjoying the scenery and becoming immersed in the world? Compare that to the likes of Halo, which in my experience was just a repetitive room clearing exercise.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I mean, there is an awful lot of climbing in Uncharted. There might be more climbing than shooting! In Uncharted 2, there's even a part where Drake laments, "I am so tired of climbing shit."

5. Owain Taggart

I can see where you're coming from, but I'd suggest playing the full game rather than just the demo, because mindless and shallow it isn't. It's actually got quite a bit of depth to it due to its strong focus on story. In comparison, I'd be calling Tomb Raider the shallow one :) Now, mind you, if you're getting your impressions from the first game , the first game is completely different from the next two and is definitely more shooting.

As for those moments you describe about Tomb Raider, there are plenty of those in Uncharted, particularly when it drops you into a beautiful environment while and when solving puzzles. Some of the environments are breathtaking, which is something that I've never really seen Tomb Raider do very well despite the globe-trotting she does. I like quite a bit of adventure as well, and I have to say these games have it in spades.

Btw, this is not a knock on Tomb Raider, as I do have the Trilogy on PS3 and I do find them quite fun. I'm just happy to see that it will take some of the aspects of Uncharted and put its own spin on things, and considering it will take place on an island, I have a feeling we'll be doing lots of exploring.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  6. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't plan on it. I've watched a couple of Let's Play's.

Hell, I even have a hard time killing animals in Minecraft. :)

7. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I played a bit of the new Tomb Raider at the Eurogamer Expo last year, and attended a talk by the devs, and I can say that its similarity to Uncharted is pretty superficial. It's a different beast. For one thing, Uncharted is pretty much a funnelled sequence of action set pieces (that's not a criticism - I ADORE the Uncharted trilogy). TR has a bit of semi open world exploration, RPG-lite character progression, and even a crafting system if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure it'll satisfy any hardcore Tomb Raider fans because it's quite a departure, but they're doing something different with a franchise that's been going through the motions for a *very* long time, so I do hope it works out. Looking forward to it.

8. Owain Taggart

That sounds good. I think that anything that will re-invigorate the franchise is a good thing. The franchise was feeling rather dated, even with the more recent ones.

9. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So is it more like a third-person Far Cry 3 or is that too long a bow?

10. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Hmm. I'd say that's a more apt comparison, yeah. Certainly not as open as FC3 but it's in the right ball park.

11. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enjoying Tomb Raider so far. Fun and graphically a beautiful game. Don't know what I was expecting, but some of the deaths are pretty brutal, I've been strangled, had a wolf rip out my throat, impaled through the throat, impaled through the chest...I die a lot.

Getting a bit of eye strain and I don't think the constant 'shaky cam' is helping. I don't usually have issues with games and I don't remember having it with the Uncharted series, though with them I played on the PS3 and with TB I'm on the PC, so maybe that's the issue.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Will likely pick this up here in a few weeks. Instead this week I bought some computer upgrades and the new Sim City.

Should have bought Tomb Raider instead, I've not even been able to PLAY Sim City yet due to server issues on their end.

13. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just gave it a spin over the last few hours. I play a lot of games and I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is the best game I've played in a while. I love Uncharted, but so far, this has it beat because there are several different ways to attack an enemy... hell, there are several different types of enemies!! This is awesome!! I have no way of knowing how much of the game I've completed thus far, but I've not yet touched multiplayer, I'll keep you posted as I go along.

14. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FC3 wasn't as open as I'd like. The first time I got that "return to the area of play or loose" message, I remember moaning to myself. I still haven't finished it.

I'll see what kind of exploring I can do in TR tomorrow.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Played it for about an hour before work yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've never played a Tomb Raider game before, but I love the Uncharted series, and this has a very similar feel. So far the story is pretty damn intense as well.

16. Owain Taggart

From what I've heard, it's not as open as people might think and is actually somewhat linear, but it still looks like a great game.

17. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Played it for a bit today. It feels like an interactive action movie. I'm enjoying it.

18. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Im really enjoying it. I hate quick time events with passion of christ, but i get through them usually after ding a number of times.

Great game visually (even on high), story isn't too bad.

I am about 2/3 of the way done in one night of play though...and I havnt been too rushed and explored some, but there are lots of things to do yet.

The game is like Mass Effect 3 world. You have hubs from which you do missions, and an freely travel back to them latter to complete other actions you cant at first.

19. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I'm about halfway through. Just at the bit where she's at the beach looking for the block and tackle so they can fix the boat.

Thoroughly enjoying it. The story is good, the game itself is challenging but not impossible to solve and the characters are actually pretty good. I love the way Lara reacted after she shot that first guy in the head; absolutely horrified that she'd killed someone, but then as her situation became more extreme, she has been able to put that aside for the job that she knows she has to do.

Also loving the language. There's many "Shits", and several "fucks". Gives the game a real visceral quality.

20. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Challenging? Seriously? I finished the game earlier today and while I loved it, I didn't find it at all challenging. The combat is fairly easy even on Hard and the puzzles aren't difficult at all.