Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Relayer1, Jun 13, 2013.

?

Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?

1. I'll get both

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4)

49 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. Staying with Xbox (360 to One)

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4)

21 vote(s)
    22.3%
  5. Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

After finishing a play through of Another World 20th Anniversary Edition I decided to have a go on Walking Dead Season 2, trouble is I played season one on the Xbox 360 I sold so no save data to work off.

2. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey let's not blame me for that particular mess. I'm just deferring to what they put on the label! :lol:

3. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

At the moment I pretty happy with my PS3,there games I wouldn't played two years old which I'm playing now.PS4 is too expensive to get,might wait until it cheaper to buy it.

4. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Understandable too, since a lot of AAA titles are coming out for both next gen and current gen consoles, so if you're happy with PS3, there's little point in getting a PS4. (Although I do believe CoD: Advanced Warfare may be a next-gen--PS4/Xbone-- only title...I could be wrong.)

Still, the principle stands. Good games like The Last of Us (Sony exclusive), CoD: Ghosts, Alien Isolation, Tomb Raider are available for both current and next gen consoles. So if you have no alternative, or means to play them on next gen, then you're good to go. :)

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

^Advanced Warfare is made for both, by two different studios.

The basic game engine and features are present on both, but the rest of it was developed as nearly two different games. Optimised to run as indentically as possibly, just with the 30fps/720HD version on Gen 7 being lower res and lower frame rate etc.

I have a few PS4/PS3 joint titles on the PS3 as either the games released that I was interested in either turned out to be crap (Destiny, Last of Us, Watchdog, NFS) or ran just as well for my money on the PS3 (CoD Ghosts+AW etc)

Right now only Wolfenstein and Shadow or Mordor interest me, I'm not paying £400 (console and 2 games) just for that. Maybe in another year when there are nearer 10, I'll get one.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You thought "The Last of Us" was crap?! :wtf:

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm not a fan of a movie that I have to keep hitting a button to progress on. Wait sorry, "game".

8. martok2112

Dalek voice: Misconception! Misconception!

Normal voice: I think you have "The Last of Us" mixed up with "Beyond: Two Souls" and "Heavy Rain".

The Last of Us is realtime action, with only a few contextual instances, whereas B:TS and Heavy Rain do indeed play largely like overlong Quick Time Events.

9. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I really, really disliked TLOU for its gameplay. Quite the shame really, ND did some great stuff as always with their presentation, world-building and storytelling.

I usually never sell games after playing them. TLOU I stopped playing after four hours, sold it and never looked back.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

There was some of that in the beginning, I agree. Some games these days tend to hold your hand a little too much during the opening sequences until you get a handle on the controls. I think The Last of Us's orientation period probably lasted a lot longer than it needed to.

But once you really get into the story, I found "The Last of Us" to be one of the absolutely best games I've ever played.

Then again, I hate first-person shooters, and I can't stand Call of Duty, so to each their own. We all like different things.

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but I think that's the point that Chemahkuu was trying to make. It's a game that cares far more about its cinematic presentation than its gameplay mechanics. If you have to get into the story to enjoy a game, is it even a good game or just a good movie?

12. martok2112

I personally found a great deal of balance between story telling and game play in TLoU. It is a gorgeous game that played great as a third person action/shooter.

To each their own. Not everyone can like TLoU much the same as not everyone can like Star Wars or Star Trek. :)

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

At least for "The Last of Us," I think it's both. It's one of the most fun games I've ever played.

14. martok2112

I think with the likes of Heavy Rain or Beyond:Two Souls, those games are just prolonged QTE's....in other words, ongoing cutscenes with prompts thag tell you which button to hit to influence the next series of cutscenes....almost like Dragon's Lair, but quite a bit more interactive. There is actually some third person action that occurs in HR and B:TS, but the majority of it is indeed "hit the button at this moment". So definitely more of the interactive movie.

TLoU's strength of story lies in its occasional cutscenes, which are not (for the most part) interactive. But some of its story strength also lies within the conversations you hear between characters as you make your way through the apocalyptic ruins of cities and countrysides. The majority of the action in Last of Us is very much "third person shooter/slasher" styled....like Gears of War.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

A game is always something you can influence through your actions no matter how limited they are.

With a movie you are just a bystander.

A good story game makes you care about the characters the same as a good movie does only you can shape these characters too in a way in many games.

Take the Mass Effect games for example.. while the broad story won't change you can pretty much influence your surroundings extensively.. get into relationships with team mates, decide the fate of some or the fate of entire races through your actions.

By doing this you bond with the game on a personal level and it will become your game and your universe because your decisions made it unique.

That's the appeal of story games.. you are watching a story unfold but at the same time have the possibility to influence it (sometimes even change pivotal moments or the entire ending of the story). I haven't played The Last Of Us but i hear only praise on a consistent basis even from colleagues who are more into score based games like sports or shooters who have said they couldn't put away the controller because they wanted to find out what happens next.

If a game grabs you this much it simply is a good game no matter the type.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Outlast and Evil Within manage very cinematic and controllable stories that although actually are very linear and at times a little predictable, allow much more control and nearly no pre-rendered cutscenes, just you pushing the story with more articulate interactions.

TLOU basically handholds the player far too much compared to them, on the PS3 version has quite noticable worse graphics than the other two, on the same console, and has characters that having read up on, are really not ones I would give a fuck about.

Same with Watchdogs, 'play a serial killer cyber terrorist and feel bad for him'. Well....no, I want him to die in a fire.

Janey from Borderlands The Pre-Sequel is probably the only new character in a video game that is remotely likeable for a long while now, and well, they put 3 years of work into doing that. A game that was made specifically for PS3 gen.

Just don't see the need to upgrade yet.

17. Kelthaz

You can't influence the story or characters in The Last of Us. You're an observer only.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The same could be said of Super Mario Bros, and you don't usually hear people bitching about those kinds of games.

The Last of Us follows the same gameplay format as all three Uncharted games, which are also made by NaughtyDog.

Yes, there are cut scenes that are meant to help tell the story, and yes the story is very linear, but that doesn't mean there's no strategy or challenge to the game. You still have to fight zombies and shoot bad guys and avoid being killed in the process.

19. Kelthaz

Super Mario Bros. isn't a story game.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

All you'd have to do is throw in some cut scenes at the end of every level. The principle is the same.