My change of heart Re: Nu Enterprise- anyone agree?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Chrisisall, May 12, 2010.

1. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both of these look "Jesus bleeping Christ" beautiful. Would like to see a combination of the two. Just loose the nacelle spikes and make the RCS units less obvious. The dorsal pylon could be a little thicker closer to the refit. One thing that i really liked about the nuEnterprise was that the underside of the saucer was flattened out. Never really liked that on the TOS E.
    As for hull lighting. There's something new called LED leaves. It's basically a LED painted on a flat postage-stamp sized square. You could embed those in the hull surface to light up an area around the symbology. No external light source required.

2. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm one of those over 40 original geeks and I loved the refit. I just couldn't believe that there were any original parts of the TOS E left in it. And those corridors were too narrow.

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed - although I see it more as an "impressionist" approach to the original. For me, it just cements the Nutrek as an alternate reality, since the original Enterprise has such a different appearance and lineage.

I don't disagree that the JJprise is a distortion of the original - but then so is the Enterprise D, Enterprise E, Excelsior, Voyager etc

And for the record I don't hate the JJprise - to me, it's just another ship that bears the name "Enterprise".

4. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No change of heart here. Love some of the detailing but the proportions are so wrong to me that I don't see how I'll ever come to point of just disliking it, much less liking or loving it.

One thing's for certain: That thing will never grace a US postage stamp...

5. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

I'm "pushin' 40". I really didn't have that hard a time swallowing the refit design. I liked the look, and Scotty's line about 18 months redesigning and refitting helped to explain the changes. I also knew that they did it because they needed a more detailed ship for the big screen. I just wish they had kept more of the TOS design elements.

I agree. I like to think of the movie as a "what if?" scenario. Similar to the "Elseworlds" one-shots in the DC comics universe. Not part of the actual continuity but interesting to speculate about.

I have to agree and disagree here. Yes, the JJprise is indeed a distortion of the original TOS Enterprise. But no, the others are not. Those are different ships, different classes, different timeframes, different designs. They share the same basic layout: saucer, secondary hull, nacelles, etc. But they aren't meant to be considered the same ship as the TOS Enterprise as the Abramsprise is supposed to be.

I wish I could share that sentiment.

:bolian:Amen.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure. I like the new ship quite a lot, as I do the movie. Certainly the engine nacelles are a vast improvement over those on the refit.

7. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see what you mean here but while the JJprise may fullfil the same role as the TOS-E, it's a completely different ship in every way. Far more so than the TMP-E for example, which was at least meant to be an upgrade of the original ship (albeit a highly comprehensive upgrade). ;)

The JJprise on the other hand was built on the surface of a planet, is more than twice as long, has different interior layout, different technology and the warp drive operates on wholly new principle (it seems).

That's why I see the JJprise in the same category as those other ships I mentioned - similar design (saucer, secondary hull, nacelles) but not the same vessel, by any stretch.

8. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

Ahhh. I get what you mean. And I totally agree. The JJprise/Abramsprise/Fuglyprise (just pick one) is by no stretch of the imagination the same ship as the TOS version. However, JJA said in an interview a couple of years ago (I'll look up the quote) that he thought that when the audience looked at that ship they would believe that it looked the same as the original has always looked. I honestly think that JJA and his crew actually believed that people would accept the Giganterprise as the original version. But it's not. It's a completely different ship from stem to stern. The only thing it shares in common with the original is the name and the fact that it has a saucer and nacelles.

9. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

:devil:

10. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

When I first saw the design I thought "Meh... s'okay." Didn't care for it when I saw the first stills, kind of improved a tad with different angles. Just that, the more I see it the more I like it; the design really HAS grown on me to the point that it is now my favorite Enterprise design (the MP refit is a very close second). I'm not so crazy about the bridge design since I actually prefer the Kelvin's bridge by far (TMP bridge a close second, TUC bridge is third, STXI bridge fits in at #4).

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I love almost every Enterprise design there has been (except the D--I was happy to see that one destroyed) but I must say that the nu-Enterprise is by far my favorite design. I think Church did an excellent job redesigning the old gal.

I also agree that no one's opinion is wrong on this, it is all subjective.

12. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Man, you know that somebody's going to retaliate...in fact, I saw the reverse last year on another site....

14. trekprincess

trekprincess Ensign

now that's a bit harsh

15. Chrisisall

That's just wrong, heh heh...:rommie:

16. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

JJ's ship can't fight at warp.

So, not only bloated and misshapen, but technologically inferior!

:guffaw:

17. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

To quote Mr. Data: "YESSS!!!!!!!"

18. Chrisisall

To quote Vader, "NOOOOoooooooo!"

19. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    It isn't my favorite Enterprise, but it is pretty cool. It certainly makes for a better toy than the old ones did (which is really the important thing).

The ship does look much better in motion than it does standing still.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Thanks for quoting a page-stretching image, guys - I appreciate it. :vulcan: