Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Costs? Disney? Disney's practically made out of money. They could afford to make AoS for years without worrying about whether anyone watched it.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, absolutely. From the start, the series has been questioning SHIELD's methods and integrity -- not as overtly yet as The Avengers did, but there are hints that those questions will be a major thread in the season (particularly since it was just reported that the season will be building up to the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which looks to be confronting those questions even more directly).

On the other hand, rich people generally don't get rich by tossing money away profligately, but by being stingy with it.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. I think we underestimate Disney's capacity for patience. They haven't lasted this long by pulling the plug prematurely.

4. DEWLine

Thanks to Big Boo re: that orphanage file. Do we have anything similar re: Chan's files?

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

6. Christopher

^Interesting. They can't use Norman Osborn, but they can use his right-hand woman -- perhaps taking his role in the story.

7. DEWLine

As Alexander Pierce's right hand instead?

8. DEWLine

Interesting that they should give Redford's character that name, by the by, considering the Cinema'Verse and 616 versions of Pierce are...well, if they met, they'd likely disagree on a great many things...or perhaps passionately disagree on a very few. :-)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hand falls under the Avengers' umbrella not Spider-Man's, so she's not connected to that character in spite of who her boss is.

10. Christopher

^Yes, I understand the legalities of it. I just find it interesting the way it works out.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is she going to clip in a scarlet weave extension, or buy a pottle of dye?

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Only her hairdresser knows for sure.

13. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought I read somewhere that they usually count DVR recordings when tallying up the ratings. I don't know how they do this, let alone determine the demographics of people watching a particular TV show on a given night.

As for the origin of superpowers, besides mutation, I don't see any problem with gamma ray exposure. It's not like it's the only source of superhuman abilities in the MCU. But I would like to see the show explore more origins; e.g., alien technology, nanotechnology, bionic implants, supergenius intellect, perhaps even supernatural sources of power.

14. Guy Gardener

Logically the dvr is plugged into the Nielson Box in the house of the Nielson family and it records that information too... You would think to save time that the modern Nielson boxes would have built in DVRs except that really would skew the data since people who do not have DVRs, who cannot timeshift, have to be represented as well.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  15. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, right. The Nielsen box. I almost forgot that episode of Family Guy when the Griffins tried to screw with TV ratings.

16. Guy Gardener

A friend living in the states, was complaining that she had to pay extra to plug her dvr into her cable box.

It knows.

Your cable company (who don't use Nielsons, and instead get %100 accurate data rather than 1 Nielson Family representing proportionately 30,000 other households, because their modern cable boxes in your home report the complete complexity of your habits back to the cable company) is watching you.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Except their shareholders would probably get upset far sooner than that. The goal of a business is not to be profitable, it's to be more profitable.

I hope the ratings stabilize at numbers that ABC can live with. While it needs to stand on its own, it has other advantages through soft marketing that helps Disney indirectly.

18. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is a time limit on DVR watching and Nielson ratings. I'm not sure if it is an entire week or not, but you only have a limited time after initial airing to watch DVR and get counted.

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm seeing cancellation in the future for AoS. The sad thing is, I don't think I'd miss it...

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I think it depends on what sort of a role they envision it playing in the greater MCU series. If it serves a distinct purpose, they'll keep it around because the larger franchise is such a success. They didn't bail on the "Avengers Initiative" after TIH underperformed, because Iron Man's success made up for it.