The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

that'd be fantastic ;)

2. VulKhan

VulKhan Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really can't wait for my birthday next Sunday and hope I will get the TOS seasons then. It's so weird, the new movie actually made me realise I don't have them on DVD yet. I probably never cared too much about it cause I've seen it on TV so much, whenever it was on, since the age of 5. But I definitely need them now, it's already been like a few years since I last saw an ep. They don't seem to air anymore these days. Maybe someday they will again. When I was a little kid, they had this special on one of our TV channels, called "The originals" where they would show old, original series, for like, 4 months or so each, every single evening an episode, until they were through all the seasons of the series. That's how I first saw the entire TOS and I loved it!

Minuialeth, don't you have a chance to watch it in english in France? We have special english/international theatres here where you can see every movie in their original versions. I'm sure there's an opportunity like that for you somewhere, too. Maybe check a website with local theatres? Can't believe you shouldn't be able to watch it in OV anywhere!

3. indranee

and I guess you guys can't access CBS.com? they've also put them on youtube.

4. Larraby

Larraby Lieutenant Red Shirt

Chekov the most irritating character

Of all the characters, I think Chekov was the least well written.

He seemed to be a very irritating kid with an accent to match. Also, since when was he ever great with transporter technology?

It's always been about the big three, of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Everyone else should be used sparingly.

5. miniglik

miniglik Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Chekov the most irritating character

I thought he was used sparingly. It certainly wasn't a meaty role. But I enjoyed him and his no good very bad accent.

6. indranee

he was Spock's protege even in TOS and often filled in for him at the Science station. Chekov was never a dumb kid.

7. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

Re: Chekov the most irritating character

really the early seasons of tos had a much more ensemble feel about them.

8. Minuialeth

Minuialeth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I certainly hope so, I have the remastered DVDs :lol:

I was exactly like you. I came back from my first viewing of the movie and all I wanted to do was watch some TOS. I had TNG and DS9 whole series but not TOS! I ordered the first DVDs' box as soon as I was back home :)

Believe me, I've checked and the nearest theaters showing the movie in subtitled OV are in...Paris. 5 hours of train to get there and back, not to mention the trip cost. I really love that movie, but not that much :lol:

9. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Intersting poinbt about the ensemble feel. TOS very much started that way but became the Kirk/Spock/McCoy Show. TNG became the Picard/Data Show. DS9 was more ensemble, and I felt VOY was too. Seven bent that out of shape a bit, though they were getting back to it in the last season.

The difference here though is that I can't see Saldana, Cho and Yelchin being built up in a way that it becomes more of an ensemble, not the way they were written or acted, and I can't see it happening. I think it'll remain the Kirk/Spock/McCoy Show.

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

That's fine. Ensemble approaches are not inherently better, simply different. I enjoyed The West Wing, an ensemble approach, and Doctor Who, a non-ensemble approach without caring either way about the approach. I'd rather focus on a few key characters and get it right than get bogged down on making sure everyone gets equal time if it is going to be cumbersome.

11. indranee

I actually felt that this was more of a Kirk/Spock/Saldana show. it definitely needed more McCoy as far as I'm concerned.

12. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I have a fever, and the only cure is more McCoy? :rommie:

"You've got fever? I can fix that." ;)

13. Minuialeth

Minuialeth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks to you Australis, I've just understood why DS9 always felt different to me than TOS and TNG (can't say for VOY). It's more of an ensemble, indeed.
    As an aside note, I prefer DS9 to TNG. I can't place TOS anywhere in this, it's beyond rating, it's a childhood memory.
    I've just re-watched "The Empath". Tear jerker. Of course it worked on me.

I agree, the movie was finished and I was like "Not enough McCoy!".

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I'm Bruce Dickinson and I say Star Trek needs more McCoyBell!

15. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

a scene where bones gets jim alone after he takes command would have been good.

16. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    ...and ...then what? :shifty: ;)

17. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but equally didn't think it was worth it's own thread (if anyone disagrees- feel free to start one :) )

The Motion Captured blog - Drew McWeeny (hope that's not his real name!) asked various people what their favourite summer movie was - he meant favourite ever but some people answered favourite from this summer.

The reason I'm posting it here is David Hayter's reponse. It's an amazing description of someone watching Star Trek from not knowing anything about it.

Article here

18. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Hrk indeed!

19. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

It's just a bit of dust in my eye, honest!

20. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Good review from Hayter.

Not a hater at all. :D