Help Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M.A.C.O., May 21, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I've been telling all my friends, family members and coworkers to go see STID. I want the movie to be as big a success as it can be and I know every little bit helps. So I implore you my friends on this board to spread the gospel of Trek and encourage those you know to go see the movie.

Iron Man 3 and Gatsby are strong competition atm, and with another Hangover movie coming out next week things will get tougher. While Hangover 2 was the exact same movie as Hangover 1, they both made $500 million. People would spend money on garbage they've seen before. Just look at how Kung Fu Panda 2 did when it competed against Hangover 2.

Most of the people I've encountered who were resistent about seeing the movie lobbed they think it's nerdy or couldn't get into it back in the 90's when it was on UPN. I sell it to them as Mission Impossible meets Star Trek. It's totally worth the price of admission. Use what other tactics you think could sway non-trekkers.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to see it again this weekend. I'm also going to see FF6.

I'm not worried.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Im going to see it again. I admire your sentiment, but the word of mouth is out there, people just have to go see it.

4. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I saw it twice already with different friends. Seeing it again this weekend with some of my co-workers.

I have zero interest in Fast Cars 6, and we got so drunk we forgot what we did 3.

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I've also seen it twice. And I spent an additional $100+ on TNG blurays and the new Star Trek game this past weekend. If I try to go see it again so soon, I may very well be sleeping in the garage.

6. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am going to see it again, probably a few times but I want to pace myself by waiting a while between viewings. Like with a good new song, over exposure can lead to early burnout.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it in IMAX 3D last night/this morning in fact. Planning to push my local friends to see it, as I'd like to see it again, though I imagine it might be a bit of a letdown on a normal screen...or in 2D. We'll see!

8. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

I plan on seeing it once more in IMAX :)

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Going to see it tomorrow for a second time in 3-D!

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've now seen it four times and I will see it some more times. This is the first time I've gone by myself.

I've told EVERYONE to see it.. but people don't do what I say because they are fail.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Ditto :). F&F is guilty pleasure.

12. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have heard that, while it's #1 at the box office this week, it made $20 million less than hoped, and the word "disappointment" is being used by some in the industry.

If no Star Trek 3 is made, I wonder what this couldnother mean for the future of Star Trek? I mean, I expect to see someone try to revive it again...someday...but not for a decade or more, and probably a total and complete reboot this time. (But then again, I could be wrong...the people in charge then could decide to return to the "Prime Universe", who know...but I doubt it.)

13. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It's not a flop, ST3 will be made. Just a disappointment because it didn't reach 100m+ as anticipated. Have a look through the box office topic for discussion on it.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm being approached by all manner of work colleagues this past fortnight, to be told their exciting news: "Hey, I got dragged to that new 'Star Trek' movie - you know, in 3D - and it was really good! I didn't think I'd like 'Star Trek'. But I loved it!"

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

God bless them, every one.

16. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I want to see it again, but in 2D and at the moment I can't find a screening in the original version that's not in 3D. I also want to see The Great Gatsby.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

164 million world wide so far and counting, I think the movie's doing just fine guys..... it's pretty much already paid for itself and the rest is pure profit in Hollywood's pockets.

I'll probably see it again before it's all said and done, but not this weekend. FF6 is on my list. And it'll be in 2d... 3d movies always give me a headache and I should've remembered that. :p

18. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Saw it again on a Mini-IMAX screen in 3D.... 3D was good, really never outstanding, but never really obnoxious.

Caught a bit more the second time and also appreciated many of the story elements. I'll catch it again after the Memorial Day crush...

19. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Were these theaters full or empty?

20. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

Tried to see it once with my girlfriend, her sister and sister-in-law but had to leave after twenty minutes... food poisoning just before the movie started and earlier that evening caught up with me :(

Then went again with my lady and I last Sunday to see it properly. Blown away.

I intend to see it again, hopefully at cheaper prices during the day, but wonder how many friends I can drag along with me.