What season does Stargate SG-1 get "good"?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Dream, Jul 19, 2013.

1. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

The short answer is no, there really isn't any consensus. Personally I've never felt there was a huge fluctuation in quality at any real point in the series, except perhaps between season 7 and season 8, which in my opinion were the best and worst seasons of the show. That isn't a p[particularly widely held view though.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was really coming together mid-way season 2. By season 3 was entering great territory. Seasons 4-6 I felt were very solid despite some cast change that happens.

*Note: I'm watching for first time but just starting season 10

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Torment of Tantalus is really the only standout episode of Season 1, but there are lots more nearly perfect episodes starting in the second season.

4. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i keep hearing how great torment of tatalis and which i have watched it 2 times and still dont like it. Can someone explain why people consider this epiosde to be one of the top sg1 episodes?

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it does set up many things which become important to the lore of the series specifically and the franchise in general.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well many consider it to be a top S1 epsiode. As for the entire show maybe not as many consider it a top episode

7. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There were some abysmal episodes in season 1 (Emancipation, Broca Divide), but I think the show settled quite quickly, much faster than any Trek, with the possible exception of TOS. I tend to think of the last two seasons as a separate show, and while I like Mitchell and Vala, I don't like the Ori storyline much. So rarely for me, I like the stand-alone episodes better than the Ori arc episodes.

I really enjoyed RDA's O'Neill in the first 6 or so seasons. After that he became so cynical and irritating, that for me it was actually a relief to see him go. My biggest gripe with the later seasons was that they had to use devious means to ensure that Carter wasn't promoted to leader of SG-1, which IMO she should have been.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I only skimmed through that, but yeah, it seems a pretty solid list of the important episodes and the non-essential ones.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say the end of season 1 then it ran on high for the next few. Season 5 it started dying but I think with Jonus season 6 really kicks some life back into the show.

Then it's just downhill from there.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been enjoying it all the same. RDA O'Neill is absent for 99% of the time but I've found the Jaffa Nation, Ba'al as baddie, Replicators, Ori and Lucian Alliance elements all engaging + Mitchell and Vala(but I also love Farscape so possible bias there).

12. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain