CGI goddess RAPUNZEL from TANGLED appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There is a broad resemblance of type if not detail. The head shapes are similar, rounded with pointed chins. They share the tendency of female cartoon characters in general to have somewhat infantilized features -- round, oversized heads, large eyes, delicate nose and mouth. They're both rendered using the same technique, 3D computer modelling simulating realistic skin and hair texture on a caricatured frame. And they're both key-animated by hand rather than motion capture, performed by American animators trained at Disney and/or Pixar, so there are probably similarities in character movement and performance (not evident in still images) that arise from that similar training, just as actors who are veterans of the Royal Shakespeare Company tend to share similar speech rhythms and performance styles.

So no, it's not as if they look a great deal alike, but when watching Rapunzel, I did feel reminded of Elastigirl to some extent, both in the general structure of her head and facial anatomy and in the way her face was animated. Which is good, because as I think I've said before in this thread, the character animation on Elastigirl was a magnificent piece of work. And so was Rapunzel. (I wish it were easier to find credits for these things. I know Glen Keane was the lead animator on Rapunzel, but who did Elastigirl? Maybe if I had time right now to search through the special features on my Incredibles DVD I could find out, but the Internet isn't helping much.)

2. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

Thanks for posting those. Much better but I'm with the others. Can't see it.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

If Zachary Quinto looks like Leonard Nimoy, then Rapunzel looks like Elastigirl.

4. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Elastigirl doesn't even resemble Rapunzel's mother. :D

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Does anyone want to talk about anything other than whether there's a resemblance between two cartoon characters? Obviously people see things differently, so there's no right or wrong answer. Some people see a resemblance, others don't, that's just the way of the world. Can we move on?

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I still haven't watched the Blu-Ray of "Tangled," even though I bought it when it was released a couple weeks ago. I need that to happen.

I really love Disney fairy tale movies. I am ready for another one. What classic fairy tales are left that they can adapt?

7. Worf2DS9

Well, I've watched Tangled seven out of 28 days so far this month. I was hoping to watch it again tonight, but my window of opportunity closed on me. Tomorrow it is, then!

I also quite enjoy the soundtrack, which I listen to frequently on my iPod. I did notice that Reprise 1 of "When Will My Life Begin" wasn't in the finished movie, most likely from a scene that got snipped. Also, there's a verse in "Mother Knows Best" that wasn't in the final scene.

8. Mutara Nebula 1967

Hey WORF...great to hear about those multiple viewings. Makes me feel good to know that's it's clear I wasn't just blowing smoke about how good a movie TANGLED is when I first started this thread. It really DOES hold up to multiple viewings. As for the the cut verse I noticed that too...the suspicious person in me thinks it's because it makes MOTHER GOTHEL a more sympathetic character talking about nursing and bathing Rapunzel...stuff a real mom would do...not your typical Disney mustache twirling villan. I just love this movie...Disney's finest effort in so many years!

9. Worf2DS9

^ Despite Mother Gothel's ulterior motives in "keeping" Rapunzel, I get the impression that she does care for her to some extent. She seems affectionate towards Rapunzel, and after so many years I'm sure it can't all be an act.

10. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

Mother Gothel was hot!

11. Worf2DS9

Stumbled across this site last night after my 9th viewing of the movie. Features over 10,000 hi-def screencaps!

Tangled screencaps

12. Mutara Nebula 1967

Yes, that's a good site. I see some from Rapunzel Paradise come from there.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, this thread is still alive! I finally did get around to seeing this near-legendary movie. :rommie: Yeah, very nice. I could really detect the Pixar influence in the characterization and plot, which kicked it up a notch from the usual Disney fodder. Definitely goes on my roster of top-20 Disney movies, maybe even top-10.

Mother Gothel was well rounded (get your minds out of the gutter! :p) compared with the usual Disney villain, and having a horse be a sort of villain was certainly an unusual approach.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've watched it 3 times since picking up the Blu-Ray. I don't know why, but I just love it so much!

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

My daughter enjoyed this but prefers The Princess and the Frog.

For me, anything that gets the Disney 'classics' out of the rotation is great. I think the "Princes" get 5 lines total in Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I really enjoyed it, but, the DVD seems to have vanished. Went to watch it again last weekend, and the DVD was nowhere in sight? :(

17. Mutara Nebula 1967

Word on everything you said.
    I'm sure you would say it was worth the wait.

Disney did an AMAZING job with this film...its so rare to find one that totally fires on all cylenders but man TANGLED Sure did. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That one is also in the ole Netflix queue. How does it compare with Tangled, especially in the sense of going beyond the expected Disney approach?

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"The Princess and the Frog" is basically "The Little Mermaid," except it's set in New Orleans. It was a decent movie, but it wasn't anything special or new.

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. It has a good message that's not too normal in Disney films. (wish all you want, but you have to work hard too)