2015 Hallmark Ornaments

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Trekker4747, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If you can believe it, the 2015 Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments are out already. Among them TOS Uhura, Spock and Kirk from TWK on either-side of the reactor room barrier during Spock's death, and the Enterprise-C ship.

I got the Enterprise-C and it's a gorgeous looking little model. The other ones on display looked good too, but I was only interested in the ship.

It has lights, 3 tiny hearing aid-type batteries come with it and go inside a removable panel (via. a jewler's phillips screwdriver) on the ship's belly. Pressing the bridge dome causes the nacelles and deflector to light-up. They remain lit for less than a minute and then shut-off.

But looks like a good model, lots of nice detailing and such on it. Well within the quality of the Hallmark ornaments over time.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I note that the Uhura ornament is officially labeled "Lieutenant Nyota Uhura."

Vonda McIntyre must be amused . . ...

3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Got'em. Won't open them until Christmas, but I got'em.

4. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I just looked at a website of all the ornaments. How it is possible that they have been doing them this long and still haven't gotten around to a Crystalline Entity ornament, I just don't understand. Seems like the most obvious Trek ornament to do, to me - aside from the hero ships, of course.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

They haven't done Tin Man or V'Ger either. I suspect it'll be some time before they get around to making the individual antagonist ships and/or beings.

6. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you're missing my point: the Crystalline Entity is a giant freakin' snowflake. :D

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

They've not done an Excelsior yet either.

8. Greg Cox

Understood, but I don't think it's iconic in the same way that, say, the Gorn or a green Orion girl is.

It wouldn't even look like a STAR TREK ornament to most people, just another boring snowflake ornament.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that really is an oversight, especially since we now have the Enterprise C, the Ambassador class is a bit more obscure than the Excelsior.

10. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I get plenty of crystalline Entities all over the tree already.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Actually a flashy "yay I'm evolving" V'Ger might be one fabulous tree topper. :D

12. lizlovestrek

lizlovestrek Lieutenant Red Shirt

I bought the Kirk and Spock one, I won't hang it on my tree because it would make me sad. I got it more as a thing to put on my Star Trek shelf. Came with corroded batteries though....

Can I buy replacement batteries at like walmart?

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

This is the traditional weekend they arrive each year.

Vonda didn't give Uhura her first name. That was William Rotsler in "Star Trek II Biographies".

Vonda named "Hikaru" Sulu.

Corroded already? That's weird.

14. Greg Cox

Oops. You're right. I knew that "Nyota" came from a book and carelessly assumed that it must have one of Vonda's.

Thanks for clarifying that.

15. Therin of Andor

The novel to get the most mileage out of Rotsler's suggested name of "Nyota" was Janet Kagan's "Uhura's Song", in which the alien kitties explain their very complex naming conventions, discuss the meanings of "Nyota Uhura" (as "star freedom") - and the aliens' names end up providing a vital clue to resolving the devasting plague.

16. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are so many "iconic" moments from TOS and the movies. But I'd love it if they started doing some from TNG as well.

17. lizlovestrek

lizlovestrek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah I know, but I noticed it as soon as I looked at the batteries. They had a blue/green substance coming out of both. Hope replacements aren't too expensive.

18. Therin of Andor

19. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I sort of want the Kirk and Spock ornament, but the loss of Nimoy is still too fresh in my mind.

20. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I have a number of their starship ornaments- the Borg Cube is great! Highly detailed on all sides but one, lighted and every time we plug the tree in it wishes us happy holidays in a creepy way...