News about early 2014 schedule

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

As i'm not usually into the 5YM books, I'm extatic to find out that Jeff Mariotte's Serpents in the Garden will feature Admiral Kirk post-TOS! I recently finished reading a few of the Lost Years books, and i've been craving more trouble-shooting Kirk ever since. I wonder which year this book takes place in... Hopefully after the second 5YM before TWOK. We'll see :techman:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

My work here is done . . . .

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Not so fast Mr Cox - a Voyager TOS crossover - are you barking mad ?

I can't wait !

Plus new Voyager, more Rise of the Federation and an Admiral Kirk story too. Excellent.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These sound like great books. I remember Greg mentioning Voyager would have a role to play in his book Kirk&Seven of Nine sounds like a really interesting book!I can't wait to get the next Enterprise novel and Jeff's book sounds intriguing. I tried to find the new books listed in the book catalogs but couldn't find them.:vulcan:could someone please post links for the new Startrek books in the catalogs please thank you.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I actually had a lot of fun writing Seven, whom I had never written before. (I wrote my one and only VOYAGER novel back in the Kes era.)

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, usually something like a Kirk/7 team up would make me nervous, but with Greg Cox behind it I don't doubt it will be good.

7. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

If Kirk & Seven don't have a docking maneuver I'm going to be really disappointed. Maybe even give Seven a little someone to remember Kirk by.

8. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

OK, I'm a tad confused with discussion of a five-year mission between "Turnabout Intruder" and ST:TMP. I was of the understanding that Kirk's 5YM took place from 2265-2270 and ST:TMP in 2272 and ST:TWOK in 2285. That leaves a fairly substantial gap between TMP and TWOK that could accommodate two more 5YMs in, one under Kirk and a second under CPT Spock. I mean, was it ever explained when Spock became Captain and Kirk returned to the Admiralty?

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

An additional "ongoing" mission was not necessarily a 5YM.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But that wasn't established until the '90s. The idea of a second 5YM comes from earlier, in the '80s, when Trek chronology was a lot less locked down and there was some uncertainty about how much time had passed between TOS/TAS and TMP. Kirk said in TMP that he'd spent "five years out there," suggesting there was only one 5YM before his two and a half years at the Admiralty, so that's always been the prevailing view and the one that has now been accepted as official. But in real life, a decade passed between TOS and TMP, and so some fans and writers assumed that the in-universe interval was the same, and that there was thus room for a second 5-year tour before Kirk was promoted to admiral.

This was always a variant interpretation, but a few of the novelists, including Diane Duane and Majliss Larson, implicitly assumed it was true, showing the Enterprise crew with their pre-refit ranks and uniforms in stories overtly set years after certain TOS episodes. Note that none of these books explicitly said there was a second 5-year mission; it was just kind of assumed. But the idea of it was discussed in fan writings at the time, and it stands to reason that the novelists were thinking along the same lines.

11. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

^ OK, it makes significantly more sense now.

Is there still a novel in which Spock is made Captain and Kirk returns to Admiral? Or is it just assumed to be so from the events of and preceding TWOK?

12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's Deep Domain. And there's Christpoher's The Darkness Drops Again.

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

What is Christopher's "Darkness Drops Again"? I follow the Star Trek novel line religously, and I don't remember that one.

14. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

^ It's part of the Mere Anarchy eBook series. Novella more than novel.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The New Earth series contains narrative that establishes Spock being promoted to captain prior to Kirk's return to the admiralty. The former continued to serve as first officer while Kirk remained aboard Enterprise, however.

--Sran

16. RandyS

Ah. Then it's something I haven't read yet.

Thanks.

17. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just like most of the SCE stories, the Mere Anarchy e-novellas have been collected into one gorgeous oversized trade. Unlike almost all of the other ebooks :confused:

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

19. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That wasn't my understanding when I reread the appropriate passages in Wagon Train to the Stars this morning - my understanding was that Kirk had already been promoted back to the admiralty (and Spock taking the center seat); Kirk stepped back aboard the Enterprise as captain only for the duration of the Belle Terre mission.

20. RandyS

Yes I know. I have it on my bookshelf, just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

"Unlike most all of the other eBooks"? It was my understanding that those generally do get printed in trade form eventually. There have only been one or two exceptions, I thought.