Space Seed Original Airing 2/16/67

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maab of the Ten Tribes, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

I found a link to a youtube video where the user has posted a video of the original airing of the episode "Space Seed". It starts out with the original airing and then snaps to a new copy of the episode once it gets going. Then, just before the commercial breaks, it snaps back to the original viewing showing us all of the original commercials and bumpers.

I love stuff like this and I wish more of this existed. I realize not a lot of people back then had the means to make a copy like this but I still love it when I see these original airings.

Also, if anyone here might know, how would this have come into being with all of the commercials in tact? The poster made reference that he had a relative that worked at a tv station but even so how would they made a recording of it?

Check it out below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-fAA3yOwVQ

2. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fantastic! Now if they'd only adjust the volume levels...

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He most likely had a 16mm copy of the episode on film with the commercials intact or inserted back in. I have a number of reels from that era like this.

4. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Yeah, it's obvious the poster isn't using advanced tech to edit in the old and the new. I still give props for the effort though.

To tell you the truth I'd rather have seen the episode in its entirety without the moving back and forth between the old and the new.

5. BoredShipCapt'n

Yeah, me too. Once you get acclimated to a certain level of A/V quality, it's not distracting.

6. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was this the actual original aring of 2/67? I think I read this 16mm copy was from a summer 1967 repeat.

7. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for sharing, Maab.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go get a pack of Viceorys and fill the car up with Super Shell with Platformate.

"...'cause it's right any time of the daaay..." :rommie:

8. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't forget to ask for your free steak knives with that fill up. :techman:

The guys in the Viceroy ad still had a mile of pipe to lay!

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Nice! My dad had that Polaroid camera. I'd love to see more of these as well.

10. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

I believe that Polaroid had quite a financial interest in NBC....

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Yes, the old footage is probably sourced from a 16mm composite broadcast print. Judging by the poor quality, it must have been copied from telecine to 2" open-reel video to U-matic to several generations on VHS cassette.

Love seeing those old commercials!

12. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

As much as I love my modern HDTV and the remastered episodes, seeing the original episode with commercial breaks and NBC bumps really brought me back to 1967. Of course, I was about 10 months old when Space Seed first aired, but still..good find, Maab.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  13. BoredShipCapt'n

Recently I got a chance to rewatch a small part of the original 1978 broadcast of the Battlestar Galactica pilot, not with commercials but with "The ABC Sunday Night Movie" bumper. That was enough to bring it all back. :cool:

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I just watched the commercials. :lol:

15. NickintheATL

NickintheATL Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have the 16mm dub in my collection, and yes it is from the August 1967 repeat. The transfer always looked more to me like the print had faded very badly over time (as film tends to do sometimes.)

BTW, this Youtube user ripped off this video for the commercials.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Do any other prints with the commercial like this exist for the original series? This is a really cool find.

17. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Ahh. Well now I feel kinda cheated.

18. NickintheATL

NickintheATL Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, the 6/10/69 repeat of "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" does exist from a 16mm print as well.

19. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek did such a good job of creating a self-contained, fictional future, it's a little shocking to see the actual period culture of 1967 wrapped around it. And in the case of that Geritol commercial, you can take "actual period culture" any way you like. :)

20. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember the video from "videoholic" a few years back when it was first posted. That apparently explains why this other video has the complete episode. He merely edited in the rest of the episode to make it complete, like he's doing us some kind of favor.