Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My threat to obesity is more craft beer than fast food. I'm not particularly fat, I'm like 5'9" and 180 lbs and lost almost 30 pounds over the last year. But they say every ten pounds you lose means gaining 20 seconds/mile running, so if I seriously want to knock 'Win a race' off my bucket list I've got to lose some more.

2. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

Hiya peeps,

never posted on this thread before, but felt should add few of my thoughts.

Was bit overweight from playing STO too much, nothing too dramatic, my weight went from 77kg to 88 in about 2 years, which was alarming, got in to really bad shape as a result, i am not very tall, only 5.10, or 178cm, but looked like Matt Damon in interstellar, scary shit.

Had to change my habits pronto, decided to change when I went back in to Uni, and joined Uni Gym. Gym is also used amazingly enough by non students from local area around the campus, so you get some really great people who know about their fitness and can dish really great advice, gave up on taking advice from gym staff, they're all useless and wouldn't take their advice if they've paid me.

decided to go with loads of cardio, but i tend to switch my cardio routine a lot, and some weights/strength stuff but nothing too dramatic, my waist went down by 11cm in matter of few months from 98cm down to 87cm and falling aiming for 75cm by mid April 2015, and my chest waist went down from 104cm to 98cm, my aim is 95cm by mid April.

At first my weight didn't go down, it actually went up as i've gained muscle mass it went to 89kg, but despite all of that my waist was going down alarmingly fast, around 3cm per month, with chest waist going down by half that or around 1.5cm.

Right now i am at around 85kg, i know its not a massive weight loss, but that's cause I've gained loads of muscle mass, too much tbh, but I can now see my weight gowning down gradually at rate of around 2kg per month, so by the end of april I should be around 75kg, but very lean with athletic body, right now i am still border line medium built, but going athletic.

What I am trying to avoid at all cost is being beefed up like one of my m8s who's got massive muscles with massive ego and rally bad health prospects. I want a lean mean sex machine body with loads of energy, very athletic, not sure I'd want to be bellow 10% body fat, but 10-12% would do.

got two m8s at uni who are my sparing gym partners and we do gym three times per week with this that i do gym on my own twice per week for total commitment of 5 fays per week. I live next to my uni campus in central London (UCL) so for me its only 500m from my apartment (flat) and I can be there any time, my friends live 7-8 miles from the uni gym so its not easy on them.

My final fitness aim is 72/3kg weight, 74/5cm belly waist, 94/5cm chest waist, and around 10-12% body fat. going bellow 10% requires serious commitment and athlete like conditioning with 10-12 hours of hard workout at gym and protein rich diet, i simply don't have time or will to commit to that kind of conditioning.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  3. JirinPanthosa

I was seeing the same thing when I started working out again two years ago, I was losing waistline but not weight.

Then I increased my running distances to like 30-35 miles/week and weight started coming off really fast.

You have to think about what you're really training your body to do. If you starve yourself, you're teaching your body to conserve as much fat as possible because there might not be enough food. If you lift heavy weights, you're teaching your body it needs a lot of muscle mass. If you do a lot of slow distance running you're teaching it that it won't be able to fuel itself with just glycogen so it needs to burn fat more efficiently.

4. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

^^

I see, thanx for that bit of advice, yeah I think i'll do more on crosstrainer, don't do treadmill or running for its negative health effects, but i'll certainly consider upping my 20min on crosstrainer to 30min or perhaps go from level 12 to 15, i'll see. Problem is I can't commit to more than 10 hours per week in the gym, have busy life with studies and work, might even take a teaching position at the uni, no idea yet, i was asked and had discussion with the department head, pay is crap so i am not too keen, but I was told I could get edc, edu equivalency which helps a great deal with job prospects and if I ever decide on professorship I would have sufficient experience to proceed without going through training process many need to complete to get their edu/edc equivalency.

But my goals remain same, I am committed to my weight going down from present 85kg, down to 75kg, my aim is to hit these target by April 2015, although I am sure I ca do it much sooner if I stopped eating bloody chocks. But I'll take your advice on board and see how that goes. cheers.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Douchey selfie time! One more before the new year...

[​IMG]

6. JirinPanthosa

??? The only evidence of negative health effects I can find are risk of knee injuries if you run more than your body is ready to handle. Any other negative effects I can find only manifest at greater than 20 miles/week and are very disputed.

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

The lighter you are, the better running is... short of skeletal.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

You can get negative health effects for EVERY SINGLE exercise. You can always do it wrong, or overdo it, or do it wrong and overdo it. When running, get the proper shoes with proper inlays, and learn how to run (sounds crazy). And if you run long distances, do it regularly. You shouldn't run 10 miles only once a week, for example.

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Listen to your body, in other words. I've gone deaf.

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, listening to your body could be how you GOT into a bad way in he first place. Sure was for me. You'll ALWAYS have cravings, and you'll ALWAYS have times you want to be lazy - you just gotta be smart in dealing with that your body needs and getting into the habit of changing things for the better.

Fitness goals 2015, anyone? Mine is to get back to 145 lbs in a month (gaineed 3-4 pounds in the last month between holidays and January work conferences) and then to maintain in the 145-150 range while adding some lifting in there. I did a fair amount of moving stuff around the house in the past few weeks, that I definitely would not have been able to do if I hadn't been losing the fat and building the muscle. I want to keep that trend going - and maybe, MAYBE get that mythical beach body six pack by summertime!

Mark

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have the opposite problem. I tend to workout too much without taking necessary time off. I'll sometimes go 2 straights weeks, lifting every single day (sometimes twice a day), and not getting enough sleep. Eventually it catches up with me, and I make myself sick.

My goals are the same as they always are: Lift heavy shit and build lots of muscle. Though this year I will paying special attention to my butt, as it seems to be lagging behind the rest of my body. :lol:

12. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My goal for this year is to do an adventure race. Just a beginner one, not a multi-day expedition type.

This means learning some navigation, mountain biking, and being able to run 10 miles.

13. JirinPanthosa

1. Get through a Spartan Race without failing an obstacle (Except, the spear throw I will accept failing).

2. Reach 160 pounds. Last year I started out 207 and finished 179. But, I reached 179 in August and I'm still 179.

3. Qualify for OCRWC in a Spartan Race. In the race I ran this Saturday I finished 47th in my age group, I would need to finish 20th.

4. Finish a half marathon in 1:45. Last year my time was 1:53:11.

5. Climb a V4. Two weeks ago I climbed my first V3.

It's true all exercise has some risk of injury and long term wear and tear. But the negative effects specifically associated with running require extreme distances to happen. Running 20-30 miles a week is inarguably healthy. (For people who don't have other health conditions that would make it dangerous).

14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I'm going to lose another ten pounds on top of what I took off. I now have a carrot. A friend has promised me a new swimsuit if I lose ten!

15. Dexter Remmick

Dexter Remmick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Goal for the year, get below 185 and maintain, for the first time since my teenage years(17yrs). The summertime is no problem to drop the weight, it's the winter months for me that are the worst. My job is seasonal and once I get laid off, there goes my exercise. I recently purchased a TRX and have been using it to be ready for the new season. My diet has been better this time around, so I should see some nice results.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Fitness update...with a selfie!

[​IMG]

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

It's been a while but I am finally starting to go to the gym on a regular basis again. I've going the last few weeks and walking to and from work everyday so that's a good hour of brisk walking every day. I'm down about 7 pounds from my peak weight at Christmas.

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Sadly they stopped doing having a taekwondo club in this town, and I'm missing it... I swear my joints are being more annoying since it closed.

OTOH, the fencing goes well, and I picked up some more certifications in January and this weekend, and it's doing good things for keeping hand-eye co-ordination on form...

19. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Manage to get in a really good shoulder work out last night. They are actually still tired and a bit sore today.

20. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Goals for the near future: To bench-press my own weight, to dead-lift 150% of my own weight, and to be able to do a set of ten proper pull-ups.

Kor