Star Trek: Renegades

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Aug 17, 2012.

1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

http://startrekrenegades.com/home/story/
    ME2:

2. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Lol - a good catch. Only steal from the best...

But although the premise is the same, I highly doubt the story is similar to ME2.

3. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where did that ME2 synopsis come from? The only place I can find it is on another forum, posted today by someone with your handle.

And this, a couple of posts down:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159568921&postcount=68

4. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, clearly there's only one explanation. SPCTRE's been in a transporter accident and has a clone. ;) Which, incidentally, I knew all along.

I'm okay with that, or with his maybe even not having a clone* and just posting the same idea on different sites. The correspondence is about as close as, say, Balance of Terror's plot with The Enemy Below (if the account of ME2's plot is accurate), so it could be there was some inspiration there. No big.

* But just to be clear... clone. It's clones all the way down.

5. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

You asked about a Fan Filmmaker remake of "Duet?" Lookie here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/6.html

For a comedy based on "The Naked Time" see Episode 4 of The Red Shirt Diaries, vis: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/57.html . There was also a TNG remake comedy, The Naked Never, which I have found reference to but have not found posted on the web. There are multiple other references to this episode in fan films, too.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't get any sense of Star Trek from that - it's got a very 90s/early 00s darkness to me that is sorta charming in a retro if you like that sorta thing... and I don't.

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Harvey, as usual, knows what he's talking about and is Absolutely Right(TM).

8. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I guess we'll never know ;)

(Yes, I also post on NeoGAF. That synopsis is the brainchild of my lunch break.)

9. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I was trying to clarify. I couldn't imagine the Renegades team posting something "borrowed" like that.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Here is the plot for ME2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect_2

And I can assure you this is NOT STR's plot. The plot was conceived in 2006, we worked on one iteration of it (that would have had Jonathan Frakes as Thomas Riker) in 2010, then changed it up a bit, but the general premise was always the same.

BTW, Jesus is angry with you.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I am the Associate Producer, I have been with the project though its conception. As I mentioned in the post above we were very close to starting this in 2010, but it got stalled. In the fall of 2012 the project was a go, and its been a fun ride since! We went from 6 people to over 220 people in the cast and crew.

12. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Tom, may I say that you seem to handle criticism quite well.

"Everything is derivative" said a whole bunch of people. That complaint is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

I think its really interesting how some fans seem to take 'ownership' of Star Trek, as in if it doesn't somehow fit their vision of how it 'should' be, it is clearly faulty. My experience on fan forums is pretty limited, so maybe this observation is naive.

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, 12 years posting in the forum has made me go insane ;) Seriously though, everyone has there opinions, Star Trek fans are the most diverse people you will ever know. Some will love STR some will hate STR. It just comes with the territory, As long as you know that you have done the best you can, then you should be happy with that. 220 people have worked on this project, and I could never say a bad thing about anyone of them, the dedication I have seen has been truly inspiring.

14. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am sure this was a TON of work, and I think it is great to see Walter Koenig get another go around the galaxy again! That alone is enough for me to watch it. Look like fun to me.

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks James, much appreciated, who ever would have thought 10 years ago when you guys were just getting started, that there would be so many ambitious fan productions out there. Remember Grand Slam in Pasadena in March 2005, every one was so amazed at New Voyages, some good times. :)

16. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Amen.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I didn't exactly mean either suggestion literally, but the remake of "Duet" is an interesting remix of the episode, to be sure. Unmistakably an amateur production, but much, much more imaginative than these things typically run.

One day we'll have to meet so that you can assuage my ego in person :p

18. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Just think, it was ten years ago that I me you in Seattle...
    Congrats with your efforts.

19. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I don't know what's with all the complaints. In my opinion this is the best trailer for this film so far. It's not the story I would have done, but it looks interesting.

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah 2006, man I feel old... lol