PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by aalenfae, May 21, 2014.

1. aalenfae

aalenfae Commander Red Shirt

I'd almost think that a tape recorder would be too obvious. But maybe with the right modifications... we'll see!
    Everything is still open to change at this stage.

Here's the most recent bridge concept for the NCC-201.
    [​IMG]

Skipper likes this.
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Not in the same style, but to serve as an example of what kinds of interesting stuff you can make from really cheap found objects, here's some stuff from the Polaris thread a while back. Maybe this will give people some ideas on what to look for when making props:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[LEFT]The one on the left is what I call a "Handheld Interocitor", and is a sort of Geiger Counter for Nielsen Generator energy (don't ask). The one of the right is an energy scanner as carried by scientists.

The thing in between is a...Cricket Maser. yeah, that's what it is.

Both of the main props are greenscreen equipped so that VFX can be added. The prop on the right has working blinkies. The rubber-band is not part of the finished prop, futuristic as it looks.
    [/LEFT]

The two props are made from found objects. The "Interocitor" is actually a Spy Gear Kids Satellite Listener. Here's a pic of one unaltered.

The scanner is a Beat Blenders gizmo, which I disassembled in order to put in custom interface art. I also removed the speaker cover and replaced it with the plastic end-cap of an art tube, allowing a flat area for the screen.

I found both of these at a place called Scrap in San Francisco. Total cost for the two devices: $1. The paint cost more than the props!

When making props like this I recommend basically picking up anything that has an interesting shape and seeing what you might make from it. Don't look for things that look like a tricorder or whatnot. The Beat Blender thing appealed to me precisely because the off-center speaker broke up the boxy shape. The Spy Gear thing just looked really cool when all folded up, and being triangular didn't look like anything else I could recall seeing as a prop.

Go through Goodwill type stores and just look at the toys and electronics. You can often find great shapes for practically nothing.

Just for giggles, here are some of the props we had on location.

[​IMG]

The silvery material on the displays of the hand scanner (center bottom) and the dark stuff inside the "hand-held interociter" (upper left) are only there for shots when the devices are "off". They pop off to reveal greenscreen material beneath allowing us to superimpose readouts onto them.

[​IMG]

Speaking of on-location, here's a shot of a landing party" prop used by Dr. Valerie Young in POLARIS. It was built from an electronic toy and modified to include a greenscreen element for VFX superimposition (a reflective surface was placed over the greenscreen when the device was "idle") and custom interface graphics.

[​IMG]
    This photo of the same prop was taken before final touchups to it. The rubber band holding the scanner disc in place was there while the cement dried.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Ha! The "interocitor"! I love it. Of course, I also have a cat named Neutron.

4. aalenfae

Ah yeah, that's great! Very unique-looking props. Like your Spy Kids prop, I've found lots of toys and junk at thrift stores and yard sales that would make great props, but I can't get too terribly creative in my situation.
    I do have a big box for my growing collection of doo-dads and nonsense parts for potential future use.

5. aalenfae

Finally got some time to work on the ship again.

Here's the 201 again - this time with the beginnings of textures!
    [​IMG]

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Dynamic and beautiful!

7. aalenfae

Thanks!

Currently, I'm working on getting a prototype costume finished. If it looks good, I'll share that soon!
    In the meantime, here's another angle of the Pacific. This time showing off some more textures.
    [​IMG]

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

While the design of the ship and the uniforms are great, I'm personally more interested in the characters (first) and the story/plot line (second) in any Star Trek tale.

Can you tell us about the people in Pacific 201?

:)

9. aalenfae

Sure, a valid point.
    And while I'm a little hesitant to reveal actual story points at the moment, I can give some background information for an important character: Captain Demir.

In 2200, Demir is easily Starfleet's most experienced captain. He is one of the few captains who has lead a deep-space mission since the conclusion of the Romulan War. (The war was costly for Earth in many ways, and set humanity back quite a bit)
    Now, 40 years later, mankind has its eyes set towards space once again. Captain Demir is called home to command the NCC-201 after a six-month tour aboard the NX-07. While he is reluctant to leave his trusty old ship, he recognizes the honor of commanding Starfleet's newest starship.

Demir is a stickler for the old way of doing things, and doesn't have much tolerance for the younger generation who didn't have to live through the war and its aftermath. Demir lost his mother during the war and strongly believes in Starfleet's peaceful mission. As such, he's not too happy that the Pacific is loaded with the same kinds of dreadful weapons that defined the past war. Nevertheless, Captain Demir is prepared to boldly command the Pacific into the Final Frontier - ready to face whatever dangers may lurk in deep space.

10. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

sounds cool again let us know when the auditions are happening , I'll send my resume

11. aalenfae

I'll definitely light things up like crazy once auditions start. You won't miss them! Haha

Here's something I worked on yesterday.
    The beginnings of a cap for an admiral's dress uniform.
    [​IMG]

12. Borgminister

Don't touch the statues in the museum! :mad:

Seriously, very nice quality--I'd say the Star Trek thingy on the cap is too large for the cap though.

13. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Anyone else reminded of this?

[​IMG]

14. aalenfae

Haha, it's my own sculpture. I thought I'd finally put him to use modeling some costume pieces! haha

And yeah, maybe a bit big. The angle is partially to blame, I think. It looks to stick out further from this angle. Either way, it's a work-in-progress.

Funny that you should mention that!
    Some of my character inspiration has come from Yamato/Starblazers.

15. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Excellent, aalenfae. It's one of my favorite animated series of all times!

16. Borgminister

He doesn't often drink beer, but... :p

17. aalenfae

Here's a really rough-draft mission patch for the Pacific.
    I wanted something that wasn't too complicated, and not simply "cool" or modern, but something that also fits into the design lineage leading up to TOS, where shapes and colors are becoming more simple.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  18. aalenfae

Things are coming together with the prototype uniform!
    [​IMG]

19. Borgminister

Top notch classy as usual... are those silver half-rings functional?

20. aalenfae

They're not functional in the sense that they don't have a function, haha.
    But they COULD be functional. I'm thinking that crew members might clip small pieces of equipment there in certain situations. Like a communicator or a light or something when they find themselves in tight places on the ship.