My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I had to ask, didn't I? :P

Really this episode is just a symptom of the series as a whole. Disappointing and it could have been better. Voyager wasn't the worst of the Trek series by any shot, but it could have been the best with a bit more consistent writing and that's what made it so disappointing.

Chakotay's a great example. When I first watched Caretaker I was thinking this guy might end up being my favorite character. The aggressive, adversarial good guy who's done things the Starfleet way but found those ways wanting. Him and Janeway could have had excellent tension and drama between the two of the. The righteous Starfleet captain vs the pragmatic rebel leader.

But after Caretaker he pretty much just faded into the background and the Maquis element virtually vanished from the series. Tom Paris acts more rebellious than Torres or Chakotay. Really it just seemed they shined the light so brightly on Janeway that the only reason a first officer was even there was they needed one, but letting him do anything dramatic might take away from the captain. Really the only episodes he really stands up to her are Scorpion and Equinox. No details, but one case he only does so because she's unconscious and the other Janeway does something so insane any moral human being would have stepped in.

It's really amazing when Chakotay seems cheerful or lifelike it almost always turns out to be an alternate universe, or holodeck simulation. As I said, my theory is Janeway castrated Chakotay after he joined her crew. It's the only explanation. ;)

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_LsW16lJTE[/yt]

3. teacake

Thing is I think he spoke too soon. They were only on the planet what, 2 months maximum? I know at some point it is day 24. That is way too early for giving up hope that Voyager will find a solution as well as giving up hope that she will ever see her fiance again.

I couldn't choke down a rewatch though, so I just watched the above video by a past poster here. That's enough for me :lol:

4. laika

laika Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I haha'd big time. thank you.:lol:

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Imagine if Scientology survived to th 24th century.

They'd be sending out star ships to the four corners of known space to find Xenu's fossilized remains.

6. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And wake Tom Cruise from cryogenic sleep to star in "Mission Impossible 35: Wormhole To Enlightenment."

7. teacake

:guffaw: to both of these!

And hey, who will they marry Cruise off to in the 24th century.

8. Guy Gardener

His wives keep getting getting younger.

If he doesn't go into stasis, the poor bastard will have to start trawling schoolyards.

9. teacake

The more years a woman lives the more celebrity gossip she absorbs.

They need younger and younger women to minimize the gossip about him that's sunk in.

10. Guy Gardener

Well, he looks damn good for 60, despite his personality or religion.

60 inches.

11. teacake

I don't like the preserved look.

Give me honest dissolution any day.

12. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

I`m glad you liked it.
    I love Resolutions. It`s one of my alltime favorites. Janeway and Chakotay are great together and the angry warrior speach is very touching.

Every time I watch it I`m thinking of two things
    Kate Mulgrew on "Resolutions" at CREATION 17-18 AUGUST 1996, NOVI, MICHIGAN:

It`s from this site
    http://www.littlereview.com/kmas/nowvoy12.txt

and 2.
    the alternate end of Resolutions" with a kiss between Janeway and Chakotay.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  13. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Thank you! I am so happy to hear a positive review!

14. Madzilla

Madzilla Lieutenant Red Shirt

Another positive review here. :) (I don't think it's very popular on this board because I don't think there are many J/C fans here, for one thing.)

One of my favourite episodes. Anything else aside, it's so nice to see them get a chance to actually get to know each other as something other than Captain and First Officer - and even if it didn't lead to romance, I've always thought it cemented the deep friendship they shared throughout the series.

And, c'mon, he built her a bathtub. I'm sure some of my cavities are from the number of times I've watched this episode. ;)

15. teacake

How long were they on the planet? I couldn't find an exact amount of time.

16. Guy Gardener

this happened after Tuvok trounced the Vidiians...

then two scenes later Voyager is in orbit and...
    point is that she hadn't been growing the Tomatoes for as long as it took the tomatoes to grow since Tuvok got as far away from the planet as he could before she planted them and then had to come all the way back over their own tracks. (Janeway makes too many enemies. She would have had to have charted an alternate, certainly longer, route to circumnavigate all the federations new enemies she had made. Kudos to Captain Tuvok.)

Several months times 2.

They could have been on that planet for half a hear or longer.

17. teacake

Not really long enough for Chak to have given up on being rescued IMO.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Why? They ordered Voyager not to contact the Viidians and go home. Unless you're saying they somehow expected Tuvok to disobey and return months later after essentially wasting that amount of time, then why? There's enough things to be critical of Chakotay about without digging for things like this.

19. teacake

I'm not digging. It's Voyager and Voyager's crew which Janeway has a great opinion of. It's also Janeway herself, the scientist Janeway who is ever an optimist and ever expecting to find solutions. I wouldn't be hitting on her until she had clearly given in and resigned herself to the situation and that sure wouldn't be after some months.

20. Guy Gardener

Janeway was engaged.

Chakotay didn't even mention Mark in his big "I'm going to bang you" speech because he doesn't respect her commitments and promises to herself and others.