REMINDER ABOUT EMBEDDED IMAGES - Everyone please read

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

We realize that this, being the art forum, is going to have an expectation of heavier image use than most of the other fora, but we still need to observe both netiquette and common sense. Lately, there have been a number of instances where images were embedded in threads that either probably or definitely should not have been.

1. Do not embed images that are not hosted on your own space (i.e. your personal website or an account like Flickr or the variety of free image-hosting websites out there). Embedding images from other people's or companies' websites is bandwidth theft. This is addressed in the rules for the TrekBBS, and reiterated in the TrekArt FAQ, pinned at the top of this forum.

2. Please keep the maximum width of embedded images to no more than about 800 - 1024 pixels; even the latter can stretch the thread beyond the limits of many users' browsers, necessitating horizontal scrolling and generally making the thread more difficult to comprehend. This is a matter of courtesy, but the moderator retains the right to replace embedded images with links if he wishes to. Some leeway may be afforded, but it's generally best to use this as a guideline when posting images.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  2. Whorfin

Whorfin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm probably the source of at least some of these type of infractions. I have larger images the resolution of which needs to be preserved for them to be of maximum value to readers. From the start I've been concerned about how to display them correctly. I'm using Photo Bucket to store them and I tried using their "HTML Code" link, which I hoped would put a thumbnail and a link in the post, but upon previewing the BBS software appeared not to be able to process the code (at all). That left me either with using a direct link (and no thumbnail, unless I generated and posted it separately) or simply displaying the entire image (which in the end I did). Ideally a thumbnail image which is also a clickable link would minimize board bandwidth usage while allowing viewers to see if they are interested in the graphic or not. But as of yet I don't know how to achieve this, at least in a simple (non-kludge) way.

So, possibly like myself, some people are creating these problems because they don't have a proper solution at hand... or don't know any better. While its not the responsibility of board administration to hold our hands, if there is a proper technique to posting images that would resolve these issues and allow people to be satisfied that their work is both visible and not disruptive, that would be helpful. So a link to a mini-guide on the topic included with this reminder -- assuming one exists, or the creation of one if it does not (either by admin or board members) -- might be enormously helpful, preferably pinned in FAQ or Technical Support unless there is a better location. I apologize if one exists and I missed it (I did look).

And thank you for the reminder. Now I know why some pages are so hard to read.

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See here and here. The link you want is the one that says "IMG Thumb" or "IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards".

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Wait a minute, do I understand that correctly? I'm not a native speaker, so I could be wrong, but isn't the wording of this sentence rather mistakable? We are encouraged to use free image-hosting websites (like Photobucket or TinyPic), aren't we? Doesn't the sentence state the complete opposite?

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

We are encouraged to use sites such as Photobucket or TinyPic, yes. Ptrope's first sentence could also be written:
    "If the images are not hosted on webspace belonging to you (personal website/Flickr account/free image-hosting site) then do not post them as inline images."
    All of item 1 could be further reduced to:
    "Posting inline images hosted on space not belonging to you is considered poor form and may be deemed warnable under TBBS policy; please don't do that."​

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Nope, and sorry if that's the way it came across. The suggestions of webspace (personal or free image hosts) were intended to clarify "your own space." The rule is intended to prevent members from embedding images from other sites they have no ownership or administrative responsibility for, i.e you can't embed images that are hosted on sites like Startrek.com, or NBC.com, or TrekCore, but sites like ImageShack, Photobucket, Flickr, etc. are okay because that's what they're intended for.

7. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Ptrope...it wasn't just NCC that saw your statement that way. I AM a native speaker, and I have to admit I saw it exactly the same as he did.

8. Whorfin

Thank you immensely B.J., it appears that should solve my problem. If there are similar features for other image-sharing sites it would be a good idea to cobble together a list of examples for newbies. The other boards I've posted images on essentially generate their own resized thumbnails for oversized images, so I'm not used to this problem.

There's an important point in the first link you sent "[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]The Thumb code may only display if you move your mouse over the media or if you chose to display thumbs in your Link options. [/SIZE][/FONT]" I'm not even sure if was showing it on mouse-over. Why that's disabled by default in the options is beyond me.

Remember, teach a man to fish... :techman:

9. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Apparently not everyone got this message, so it's being re-stuck ...

10. Whorfin

For pages that already have issues I realized that some browsers (such as Opera) have the ability to resize the page if its too wide (this has to be done manually). Not that I'm suggesting that people not post correctly, its just a work-around for existing problems.

11. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hi I'm new on here. I'm not sure I have read this correctly. If the image I post isn't hosted on my own site but I upload the pic to tinypic or imageshack and embed it in here is that acceptable or not?

12. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Yes, image hosting sites are perfectly acceptable - that's why they exist, so people can post their own images online. We just can't embed images from other commercial or personal sites for which we are not owners/admins; that's considered bandwidth stealing, when the images laod automatically and the bandwidth of the external site is exploited every time the page loads. It's okay to link to those images, so they don't load unless someone clicks the link.

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

So something I find on google image is wrong, but after I website or bucket it, it is good?

Commodore_Sarvour likes this.
  14. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^Pretty much, yeah.

15. friedebarth

friedebarth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also, TrekCore actually endorses embedding of their images... ...in fact, there are many sites that don't consider embedding images bandwidth theft. I think point one needs rephrasing:

1. Do not embed images that are not hosted on your own server or a free image host. Unless, of course, the respective admin or such of the site you embed an image from does not have a problem with you embedding the image.

16. nint

nint Cadet Newbie

useful for me, thanks

17. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Could someone help me please? I have tried repeatedly to embed images in my posts from my DeviantArt account. I see others doing it, so obviously I am doing something wrong. I consider myself very computer savvy but I have to admit, this is making me look and feel like an idiot. Any advice or instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

18. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

You need to use the image url from the dA thumbnail... I'll use fancy brackets so it shows up, but use square ones of course.

{url=the dA page you're linking to}{img}url of the dA thumbnail{/img}{/url}

19. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Our we allowed to embed images from DA? It's always struck me as more of a gallery site than something like Flickr...

20. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

If it's from your own dA account, yes - please don't hijack another member's account to embed images just because you want TrekBBS members to see them (in other words, only your art ;) ).