Knight Rider 2008 Series SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by God Magnus, Jul 24, 2008.

1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Please DON'T let KITT change into a boat.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But it's Knight Boat! The crime-solving boat!

3. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's always a canal. For a fiord.

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

lol they should at least reference that bit with a line like "KITT can you turn into a boat?" "no Michael life is not a cartoon"

5. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

And I thought the pilot was bad.

Who is the idiot who came up with the idea of a transformer-like car? Oh right, he's a Transformers fan. Can't they innovate, for a change? Do something new?

Sorry but I'm not convinced. Yet.

I'd rather have a car capable of morphing organic-style. See parts growing, changing size, all dynamically. And the car would learn new shapes by analyzing other vehicles. Maybe it's been done before but then I am not aware of it (and I'd like a title please :D)

We're supposed to see the next century car, not 21st century car. That has been done already, it was called Knight Rider and it happened more than twenty years ago. That also goes for Transformers.

Now don't take me wrong, I love both. But I expected something really new and this is not.

Hopefully, the stories will equal nuBSG's in quality. Hey, I can dream ;)

6. Christopher

Not like that, but the morphing car from the pilot movie reminded me of the title vehicle from Viper back in the '90s. That was a car that could transform from a red convertible Viper (its Clark Kent mode, so to speak) into a silver hardtop Viper with special weapons and gadgets. In the original NBC run, the transformation was done by a rather nice effect where the surface broke into hexagonal plates that flipped and reoriented themselves into the new configuration. In the syndicated version that followed, the effect was cruder, with more of a Venetian-blind effect, rectangular slats flipping over.

7. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

I remember it. I loved that kind of morphing but unfortunately, the Viper was the only thing I liked in that series (such a beautiful car!). But I must admit I didn't have a chance to watch many episodes. More like 4 or 5, first season.

8. Christopher

I liked the first season. It had my fellow University of Cincinnati alumnus Dorian Harewood as the car's inventor, which is always good. (Although he was part of an odd trend of having paraplegic black men in genre shows, along with Philip Akin in War of the Worlds: The Series and Carl Lumbly in M.A.N.T.I.S.) And it was a show that actually had some regard for human life, in the same vein as the non-killing heroes of other Danny Bilson/Carl DeMeo shows of the period (The Flash, The Human Target). However, I hated the syndicated version; not only was the cast less interesting, but they totally abandoned the non-lethality that Harewood's character had insisted on, and the show became little more than nonstop gunplay.

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

They already did that in Knight Rider 2000. ;)

10. Tyson

Tyson Fleet Captain

And yet later on in your post, you say you're a Transformers fan. What do you want to car to do, teleport around the planet? Fuck sakes.

Beast Machines, a Transformers cartoon. No, it's not as cool as you would think it is. Granted, that cartoon had other problems and still wasn't anywhere near as bad as all the shit that Japan churns out, but I digress.

If KITT is to be anywhere near believable as a real vehicle, simple "fold and click" transforming makes more sense as an ability; the nanotech "grow a spoiler" crap from the pilot movie was really pushing it.

Give me a fucking break, they've been saying over and over how this is basically a continuation of the original show; that you're pulling these insane "I WANT BIOMORPHING KITT LAWL" ideas out of your ass is your own fault.

What? Holy fuck I hope you're joking.

This is Knight Rider, not high concept sci-fi folks. If you're gonna enjoy it you have to shut off your brain for a little while and just let it rest.

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

That wasn't KITT. That was KITT in KIFT (Knight Industries Four Thousand)'s body.

And why I'm hoping he can't become a boat.

12. Christopher

So the car in the 2000 movie was Four Thousand and the one in the 2008 series is Three Thousand? I take it they aren't in the same continuity.

So, let's see, I guess the series of models would go KIOT (One Thousand), KITT (2000), KITT (3000), then KIFT, KIFT again, KIST, KIST again, KIET, KINT, and then back to KITT for Ten Thousand. On second thought, maybe they need to come up with a better naming scheme for future models.

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Don't forget that in that movie James Doohan played Scotty in all ten Star Trek movies, AD Skinner was the villian and the FLAG was handed over to Jacob Carter. ;)

14. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

im not sure what the offical line is on this, but im thinking this series is similar to Superman Returns, in that only the TV series counts, and even the timeline set by that will be bent when it suits them.

15. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Correct. The February TV movie and this series only count the original series as canon. TKR, Knight Rider 2000 and KR 2010 all exist in separate continuities (though some have argued TKR and KR 2000 can be reconciled into the same timeline).

16. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

The fourth season of the original show already pushed it by having KITT transform into a convertible and to Super Pursuit Mode. I was nine at the time, and I had a tough time suspending my disbelief for those upgrades.

The Venetian blind / hexagonal plating / bio-esque morphing stuff is completely unbelievable for a TV series set in the here and now.

So is a Mustang transforming into an F150.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

No they aren't. I'm amazed I finally knew something you didn't. That wasn't meant as offensive I'm just really surprised. I've long thought you were a walking encyclopedia.

I agree with that. Though KIFT also caused some of the theories that the new KITT was going to be the Ten Thousand instead of the Three Thousand.

18. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

To pull a Timo (and I mean that respectfully), maybe the new show's Knight Industries "3000" is a hexadecimal number (12,288 in decimal), making it higher than the 1991 telefilm's Knight Industries 4000. :p

19. Christopher

I figure all the sequels (except 2010, which was more of a very, very loose reimagining) are meant to be in continuity with the original show, but they have all disregarded their predecessors. As for TKR, I don't think it can be reconciled with reality, common sense, or good taste, let alone any other KR sequel.

Well, I suspected they weren't in the same continuity; I just took this as confirmation. And I didn't remember the KIFT thing. I just remembered the car was red instead of black, which was so totally wrong.

Except the number written 3000 in hex would not be pronounced "three thousand," because that's not what number it is. The number three thousand in hex is BB8. In the same way that 10 in binary is pronounced "two" rather than "ten."

20. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

Poor choice of words, I should have said "like" instead of love because I don't consider myself a Transformers fan. (and KR TOS is getting really old, I can't watch it anymore)

Never heard about it but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion ;) As for the Japanese stuff, well, I've seen enough. Not my kind of stuff.

I agree to the fact that the nanites seem to grow a spoiler out of thin air is silly. One could argue that we don't see the required matter move so the nanites can build the spoiler. I was more of thinking that we see the matter take shape, I'm not sure I can explain it clearly, even in French :( (but biomorphing is pretty accurate :D)

Sure, I have ideas of my own. And I don't deny the continuation thing, I'm all for it. But "classified" technology should have evolved quite a bit since 1984. We've seen nanites enough already but it seems writers didn't have enough of that yet.

Yes, I was joking ;) After that pilot, any improvement in the writing will be a pleasant surprise.