Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Budget saving.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't recall a MacGyver episode using Duel. Are you perhaps thinking of the episode of The Incredible Hulk called "Never Give a Trucker an Even Break?" That was built around footage from Duel. Hulk also built "Earthquakes Happen" around footage from Earthquake.

MacGyver's other stock-footage episode that I'm aware of was "Trumbo's World," which was built around footage from the Charlton Heston film The Naked Jungle.

As for classification, they're just examples of the larger principle that filmmakers often use pre-existing footage to save money. Clip shows are a subset of that practice, and as long as we understand the principle, it doesn't matter what label we stick on it.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Was the original footage of Captain Christophers' fighter from "Tomorrow is Yesterday" actually shot for Star Trek or was it reused footage? I imagine it was reused footage but have no idea what it was from?

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Google tells me I must have been thinking of The Incredible Hulk. My bad.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Likely stock footage shot by Lockheed or the Air Force or shot for some movie of other.

6. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

As I recall, several people who worked with GR stated that he had a gift for stretching/bending the truth in order to paint himself in a more favorable light. I tend to think that the Justman/Solow book is a little more accurate than most other sources.

7. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are there any notes in the files on when a stunt double would be used? I ask because Cushman and Morgan Woodward claim Shatner used a stunt double for the final fight between Kirk and Tracey in The Omega Glory. After watching the episode a few times, I find no evidence of Shatner being doubled. Usually, the stunt guys are easy to spot. However, unless I'm totally blind, Shatner does all of his own fighting in this one.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Some do that stuff is covered by production reports, call sheets, and schedules, but those documents are sadly incomplete. Not sure what they say about "The Omega Glory."

Cushman passes off speculation as fact in regards to the stunt doubles in "The Alternative Factor," too, IIRC. I doubt he bothered to dig deeper into the issue.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Cushman appears to take people at their word decades on. I have one word for him: Rashomon.

10. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I don't trust Cushman's journalistic integrity any farther than I can throw his mistake-ridden books.

11. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Certain prolific posters on this board are similar. They get annoyed if you even suggest that their decades old memory of what an actor said in person is questioned. :guffaw:

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

It was a bit sad that Justman became so demoralized to lose his enthusiasm for the show. Any fan who read Whitfield's The Making of Star Trek knew of his dedication, sense of humor, and his professionalism. As the show limped toward the end, he was similar to Professor Crater's description in "The Man Trap"-- the last of his kind, the buffalo.

14. Christopher

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's a shame there isn't a biography of Justman, actually. In some ways, I think he's a more interesting figure than Roddenberry.

16. Christopher

^Maybe you could write one.

17. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Justman and Roddenberry (especially Justman) surely took the high road on that exchange of letters. :techman:

18. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed on both counts. And as Christopher said, there is no better person I can think of to do the job :techman:

19. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

His personality is somewhat revealed when you read Justman's humorous interoffice memos, and by learning the details of some his practical jokes. I've always admired the dedication and professionalism that he gave to the production of ST. He is definitely one of the behind-the-scenes heroes of TOS.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Do you still have one more part left for A Private Little War?

Heh, that's true! Justman's memos seem like a wealth of a resource for a researcher. Is that something common in the business or was he something special in this regard (obviously, he was special in other ways)?