THE WOLVERINE - Reviews and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 22, 2013.

?

Rate The Wolverine

1. Excellent

20.5%
  2. Above Average

44.6%
  3. Average

30.1%
  4. Below Average

3.6%
  5. Poor

1.2%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Would be cool to see Patch no doubt.
    Maybe after the events of DOFP he could lay low there?

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Its Box Office is a good sign for Days Of Future Past. It was never a question that would have more interest than this. But if The Wolverine had a really low showing it would have been a sign that people were losing interest in the X-men in general. Plus its ending perfectly setups DOFP next year. Its building awareness early. There would interest in a simple First Class sequel. But that scene showing Patrick and Ian are returning too, announces outside of fandom this is going to be much more than just that.

4. Dick Whitman

I had never heard of this before. I just looked it up, no offense intended but that sounds awful. Also how would it even be possible to adapt with all the Marvel characters that Fox does not have the rights to?

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I know it's just wishful thinking. Maybe it could be done as the last X-men movie before FOX reboots the whole thing?;)

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the idea of and older Logan wandering around in a torn apart United States is interesting, as well as the idea that he was tricked into slaughtering all the X-Men. But oh boy, that synopsis is the greatest bullshit I've ever read.

7. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

That story is amazing, especially one particular scene which is a complete gutpunch.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"Enemy of the State" was Mark Millar's other Wolverine run and I thought that was a much better story and one of the best Wolvie stories out there. Wolverine is captured by Hydra and brainwashed into being an assassin turned on the Marvel super heroes. He actually kills someone semi-famous too!

9. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I would love to see Claremont/Miller's Wolverine mini-series from 1982 on the big screen.

10. Dick Whitman

I watched the original again last night. It's not a horrible movie but its completely dull. There is no style or suspense in the action. It's paint by numbers.

The way he loses his memories is so unimaginative! Stryker announcing he will shot him in the head to take them away? It would have been better to be a side effect of the surgery and trauma.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Yes, I always assumed before that movie that the amnesia was trauma-induced, kind of like in The Bourne Identity.

12. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or persuade Ellen Page to join in and show Kitty's transformation into Shadowcat.

13. Leonardo T. Dragon

Leonardo T. Dragon Commander Red Shirt

Ironic considering the ridiculous way the claws were treated at the end of the film.

Honestly-- why can't we have a finale where he's no longer held back by implants, etc?

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd heard of the story before, but never a detailed synopsis. I read the first couple paragraphs there, and that sounds insane. Not sure if if I would enjoy based solely of the Wikipedia page, but it definitely sounds crazy.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It sounds interesting to me, though I'm not a reader of Marvel. It does sound really, really insane, though. I may look for a trade on it.

16. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Id like to see the X 23 storyline.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw this this morning and I really enjoyed it. It had a great cast, and a really nice mix of quieter story and character moments, and big action set pieces. I agree with the other posts who thought Tao Okamoto (Mariko) and Rila Fukushima (Yukio) were great. I really hope we get more of one or both of them in a future Wolverine movie. Especially Yukio, the ending was a perfect set up for some more adventures for The Wolverine and his "bodyguard". I voted exellent.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  18. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was OK, definitely too long. Well actually, I think we worked out that, once you discounted the endless trailers and adverts that seem only designed to make you want to go pirate films, it can't have been much more than two hours, it just felt a lot longer. For starters I think they could have established Logan was grieving the death of a loved one and had to get over it without her popping up every half hour to prattle at him, Jean being in there was just pure fan service rather than anything to do with the film. Though I suppose it's interesting he didn't think Scott would be in "Heaven" with her...

It also suffered from the single most obvious surprise villain ever....

"How odd, I see everyone's death but I didn't know Wolverine's old friend was going to die. What can that mean?"

The romance felt pretty unconvincing as well (and it annoyed my mother as she thought Jackman was too old for her. For me, as the character is a good century older than any women he's likely to meet that didn't bother me so much).

You really had to suspend your disbelief at how stupid the villains plan was as well:

It seems they need Wolverine alive for the process, but do something to him that increases the chances he'll get killed. Even though the final fight with the arrows shows they've got a tranquilliser that works on a full strength Logan. If they'd had just knocked him out with that on his first night in the house and took him to the lab and done it to him right there and then they'd have won. I'm also not sure why Crazy Old Man (who it seems can stare into a nuclear explosion and not be instantly blinded, I'm not sure he needs super healing...) felt the need to armour up when he has a whole team of ninjas to do his fighting for him. I mean sure, it turned out he needed it in the end but that was because everything had gone tits up.

A film that took itself less seriously could have probably gotten away with some of the more silly aspects...

But, on the other hand, all the stunts and fights were well done, there's a nice Bond joke, the performances were solid (props to the lady playing Viper for doing a lot with an anaemically written part) and it's probably the most lush looking of all the X-Films. It's amazing how much more expensive something can look just by setting it in a country the series doesn't normally visit.

But that that just balances out at just an OK film. Though extra points for trying something a bit different even if it didn't quite pull it off.

Oh, and though it didn't hit me as a more casual fan until it was pointed out, isn't Logan supposed to be an amnesiac with no idea of his past? So he shouldn't have a clue what he was up to in World War II?

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I was okay with this. :)

This occurred to me too, that Logan shouldn't have any memories of this, unless he's regained them at some point when we weren't looking.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't Captain Picard help him remember his past?