AFT NACELLE (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by draderman, May 28, 2013.

1. draderman

draderman Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey all. Saw Into Darkness for a 3rd time last nite and:
    In the scene where K says he will destroy the Enterprise life support system "located behind the aft nacelle".

HUH?

Anyone else notice this? I know its stupid to knitpick stuff like this but I have to admit it bugs me a little bit. Theres a port and starboard nacelle. You could say that the nacelle's are located aft on the ship, i guess. Also saying aft nacelle sounds like theres a for nacelle? The truth is, there is no aft nacelle. Lazy writing maybe?

?

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I did kind of "Huh?!" at that line in the cinema, but couldn't remember the wording afterwards. I'm not sure what they were going for there either.

3. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too noticed that line was odd. It should have been "port" or "starboard" instead of aft, which does indeed imply that there's a fore nacelle.

4. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I have a not entirely legal screener of the film (don't ask, as tsuch topics are verboten here), and just listened to this scene repeatedly, and he most certainly doesn't say "located behind the aft nacelle". I can't say for certain what he actually is saying, but it's NOT "aft nacelle". It sounds more like he's saying "located behind the arms-cell" (?), though I think it's far more likely that he's say "arsenal", though drawn out, emphasizing all 3 syllables, as "Ar-sen-al". I'd imagine that a ship's arsenal is pretty heavily reinforced, and that such an area would be a great place to locate other essential systems, such as life support.

5. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

I watched the movie for the 3rd time and he most definitely stated 'aft nacelle'. My brother walking out of the theater looked at me and said "where is the aft nacelle?" He thinks the writers just made a mistake in their terminology.

6. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I assumed he was referring to that thing on the spine of the saucer section that runs from the bridge to the impulse deck that we've never figured out what to call yet. Probably the "impulse nacelle" or something. In which case "behind" the aft nacelle is probably a spot on the neck just below it.

7. chardman

Sorry, but I listened to it a dozen times or more, specifically listening to that part over and over, and he does NOT say "aft nacelle". As I said before, it's not clear what he actually is saying, but it isn't "aft nacelle".

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought he was referring to the engineering hull? If you ignore the warp drive components, you've got the saucer and the nacelle. My thoughts were, "why would you have such a centralized life support system?" -but this is Star Trek, where all the transporters can be zapped with one broken pipe in Engineering ("The Enemy Within")

9. chardman

Well, I've just downloaded a Theatrical closed caption file for special showings to hearing impaired audiences, and am trying to locate software to read it. Hopefully, the folks that Paramount hired to do this were working from a script, and can shed some light on the matter.

ETA: Or not. Clearly, the captions I found weren't the official Paramount authorized ones, but a mediocre attempt put together for a local theatre that couldn't get the real captions from the studio. The captions bear little resemblance to what's actually being said.

10. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know what you're listening to but he CLEARLY, 100% says 'aft nacelle', there shouldn't even be a discussion that he doesn't, it's that obvious.

"Located behind the ar-se-nal"? :lol:

11. chardman

No... he CLEARLY, 100% says something other than 'aft nacelle', which we all know makes absolutely no sense, and wouldn't have survived to the final print in even the most amateurish fan film. He clearly says something that merely (but unfortunately) sounds a bit like 'aft nacelle', but isn't. And that's the only thing that's obvious.

This reminds me of the arguments of several posters years back, who insisted that JJ had changed Kirk's middle name in Trek '09, because they were convinced that the kid-Kirk told the cop his name was James Siberius Kirk".

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just want to say that this thread title is the best laugh I've had in hours.

13. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I bet they put that in there just to poke detail oriented trekkers in the side.

If they did, it's quite funny. :lol:

Here's your May Issue of Nacelle's Monthly. We've got a full spread devoted to aft nacelles. Oh yeah!

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't someone actually run the scene through some fancy word recognition software which confirmed the kid did say "Siberius"?

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure he does say aft nacelle. Thing is a nacelle could refer to any engine housing on the ship, warp, impulse, fusion thruster. Refering to the impulse deck as a single nacelle (housing) would make more sense, the lift support systems buried in the neck part of the engineering assembly.

But Khan or not he's still shrugging off a ship to ship jump, 40 deck climb, hand to hand combat and a pretty hard stun blast to the torso. One or two words slurred isn't bad.

16. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw the movie twice over the weekend and I made a Scooby-Doo "Ahuhp?" each time I heard 'the aft nacelle'. Cumberbatch imbued (?) Khan with excellent enunciation in this film... if he did not say 'aft nacelle', I need to see (or hear) some good evidence to convince me that he said something else.

And I have no idea what an aft nacelle would be. If it is a goof, it seems like an odd goof to have made its way to the screen, considering how us Trektechies would jump on it!

As Chemahkuu has well pointed out, however, nacelle could also be some engine housing other than the warp nacelles. I don't think we have ever heard or read a reference to an "aft nacelle" before, but maybe it is a brand new term for something on the jjprise...

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  17. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Sorry, you are wrong. H clearly says:
    Your crew requires oxygen to survive, mine does not. I will target your life support systems located behind the aft nacelle. And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people. Now, shall we begin?

18. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well if you google "aft nacelle" it comes up with some interesting things (including this thread)... :)
    I also googled "aft nacelle on the enterprise"...

19. chardman

You can make the assertion all that you want, but saying it is so proves nothing. I assert, with equal conviction, that He says something that only vaguely sounds somewhat similar to "aft nacelle", but which is not 'aft nacelle".

So there.:cool:

20. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

I've seen it three times and he says aft nacelle. All 3 of the viewings each had one person in the group state something to the effect of, "Aren't they both aft?" including myself.

I do agree with the statement, just because someone says something doesn't make it true. In this case though, the poster wasn't just saying it, he was speaking the truth. There is nothing within the Star Trek lexicon that remotely sounds like aft nacelle, he stated aft nacelle.

"Im going to take out your life support with hair gel?"

"Im going to take out you life support with a bat bell?"

"Im going to take out your life support so there's no crack smell?"

"Im going to take out your life support destroying your aft Dell"

It was just a case of laziness, using the terminology already given to the writers without thinking it through. Shit in the next one Kirk could be complaining about the food and call a replicator a turbolift. Only us fans would know, not the general populace which is who these movies are for. I don't know what's worse, the fact they misuse terminology, or that the laziness goes even further in that they don't come up with new stuff themselves so there's no contradiction.

But hell yeah, don't back down...if you heard something else then so be it, that's your right. I still choose to think that Han shot first, eventhough Greedo does now. I also choose to believe that McCoy couldn't thaw one of Khan's crew in time to extract their blood thus the need for having Khan alive. Sure you can take him out and put Kirk in and activate the tube, but he's still sitting there frozen. You'd have to cut him open and/or probably kill him to get the bloodsicles which is something McCoy wouldn't do. Whatever floats your boat!:)