Klingons in STID--why do they look like [SPOILERS]?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DavidLeeRoth, May 17, 2013.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I guess by "credit" I meant a phone call or message saying "your Trek novels were an immense help in influencing how we might want to portray the character in our upcoming film. Thanks, Mr. Cox, for helping educate us a little bit." That kind of thing. :) There was obviously nothing on screen that could be credited to your books, though it would have been cool had Khan himself mentioned he'd been the product of a classified genetic engineering project called Chrysalis that was carried out on the Indian subcontinent. ;)

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I admit I'm hoping the new movie boosts sales of the old books, but, in general, I'm usually a few steps removed from the actual movie and TV productions. I mostly deal with the publisher and the licensing departments, not the actual filmmakers. I don't expect to hear from the movie people directly.

(Although I did once get a nice letter from one of the UNDERWORLD screenwriters telling me how much he liked my novelization of the movie . . . and they even invited me to the premiere party. That was fun.)

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of them must be Worf's ancestor, I'm guessing. Showed up, looked super badass, got their asses kicked by the bad guy to show how powerful he is.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the movie when Spock said that Khan's goals included "the extermination of all those not genetically superior" (or words to that effect) I immediately thought of his plan to exterminate all non-genetically engineered humans with his mother's modified strain of strep-A.:)

That Into Darkness went to such lengths to remain consistent with the old when it really wasn't necessary that it do so was pretty damn cool.

5. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Klingons in STID--why do they look like a burned Kryten?

That's right! Klingons have NEVER been bald in Trek before.

:klingon:

6. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, cause I think you imagine the difference to be more marked than it is.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I loved these Klingons, they look menacing.

8. cooleddie74

They think that guy doesn't look like a Klingon? Has he not seen the mythical figure Fek'lhr, seen briefly in "Devil's Due(TNG)"? I know he's supposed to be a mythological character in Klingon religious lore and didn't actually exist, but he's supposed to be a Klingon nevertheless.

The STID Klingon might as well be a background warrior from TOS who got little or even no makeup compared to that....thing.

9. F. King Daniel

[​IMG]
    Looks Klingon to me.

10. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

The version they went with doesn't suck, but I loved the 2009 design better.

[​IMG]

Brow ridge, nose bridge, eyes, the hair, those wrinkles, I liked every bit. Now imagine this guy with forehead ridges. Would've been sweet.

11. cooleddie74

I have to admit, the 2009 design that was kept under the helmets and never seen was a little better. That said, both are great tributes to and interpretations of the look we've been used to since 1979 and I'd have enjoyed seeing either one in the newest film.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I came to understand how ridiculous canon vs. non-canon arguments were when I realized it was a question of "real fiction" vs. "fake fiction."

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Just his race.

14. F. King Daniel

Which is IMO preferable to having an Indian or Middle Eastern -looking guy playing the crazy space terrorist.

15. Set Harth

So they Mandarin'ed the guy? Nice.

16. BillJ

I think this may have actually played into casting Cumberbatch. First time around they were really vague on what Khan had done during the Eugenics Wars. In this film, we see Khan initiate a brutal terrorist attack, gun down military officers and be downright brutal on the Vengeance.

Maybe they thought the outcry from Trek fans would be far preferable than the outcry from Middle Eastern communities?

17. BillJ

I do wonder why it was so important that Cumberbatch be Khan when they practically ignored it in the advertising for the film?

18. Set Harth

Yeah, the only thing Trek fans are liable to blow up is the comments section of a blog post...

19. BillJ

Not about blowing things up, it's about possibly offending hundreds of millions of people when they feel like they're being stereotyped in Hollywood movies.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because nobody gives a crap about genetically engineered Star Trek badguys who aren't Khan.