DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

DC is a corporation. They exist to make money.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember too that DC has been testing out all kinds of various markets. They've promoted digital before. I really don't see what the big deal is, they're doing something that is obviously targeted to a specific fanbase, not the larger DC fanbase. Are you trying to say that they shouldn't bother with this at all or something? I personally think that they should have gone with their original intention and done a novel. I would have bought it in a second. I'm sure there would be other "Smallville" fans that would have done the same.

DC thinks digital is the best format for this. They're obviously testing to see if this will draw attention, if it does, I wouldn't be surprised if we did eventually get a comic.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/02/09/dc-announces-smallville-season-11-digital-weekly/

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They are already testing it. Remember all the 52 comics are being distributed digitally already.

4. Admiral_Young

My point exactly, which is what I meant when I said they've promoted digital before. Aren't the New 52 selling digitally? I don't see why this wouldn't. Oh yeah that's right. The digital sales aren't released or something like that. I'm still not sure what you're arguing. Broc pointed out that this is different than the original tie-in comic. That comic IIRC was original stories. This is different since it deals with the continuation of the canon. A very different thing.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Batgirl was pretty good, still a book I am enjoying.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Which means they know they are marketing to a different audience. The books will still reach print, but just a month behind.

Besides, who cares if it fails or not? DC is simply bringing out a new comic (rumors of which have been circulating since Smallville declared year ten as the final one).

I can't understand why you seem to be argumentative over something so trivial? :lol:

Actually, I didn't do that at all. :lol: IDW's continued success with Trek comics for the past ten years shows that something eventually does work if the right approach is taken. If anything, I've furthered established my point.

7. Admiral_Young

You know...I'm kind of surprised they didn't put these out as a series of Graphic Novels. Like what they're doing with Earth One and what Marvel just started doing with their Season One line. Really though for me as a "Smallville" fan I probably would check out whatever they decided to do :)

8. Broccoli

You just know they will eventually.

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Isn't Smallville Season 11 just Superman? I mean, are there seriously people who are so enamored of the show and want to read comics, but don't want to read Superman?

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's Superman with the "Smallville" version of the characters and backstory.

11. Broccoli

Chances are those people are (or were) already reading Superman.

12. Admiral_Young

Superboy #6: Well...I don't know what to think about this book. I think I might drop it after this issue. I did like the confrontation between Kara and Superboy...they've changed the meaning of Kon-El which means "clone" apparently or Abomination. Perhaps there are clone terms for each cloned Kryptonian. I do like that they tied it into the Clone Wars of Krypton's past (yes Krypton had a Clone Wars too). I don't like the fact that they changed the source of his name. The original Kon-El name was bestowed to him by Clark himself and something that Connor considered a great honour, and a sign of acceptance of him by Clark. Now his name literally means Abomination! Sigh. These little tweaks and changes are stuff I do not like about the New 52. I really don't get the purpose of this stuff. The art is fine and looks like next issue is the big show down between Conn---err Superboy and Rose. I don't think I'll be picking this up.

Batman and Robin #6: This book keeps on getting better which each other. Damian's ruse was rather obvious, but I thought handled pretty well. As critical as I was early on in this book, Tomasi is doing a good job of exploring the issues that Bruce and Damian have in a manner that I didn't really expect at first which was probably why I was critical. We see for really the first time that Damian cares for Bruce as his father, something we really haven't seen before, one could say he loves him :) It also shows just how far Damian has come as a character since we first met in "Batman and Son". The art isn't that great though. I suppose it works for this opening arc.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  13. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Demon Knights # 5: Honestly, if you can tell me why a comic that features a wise-cracking Vandal Savage and a medieval Amazon fighting armoured velociraptors with a giant spiky cudgel isn't a best-seller, I'll tell you why democracy simply doesn't work.

This issue is still funny at times, but the pathos has increased exponentially: we learn quite a bit more about the Horsewoman's abilities in the context of something deeply sad. I don't know that I've seen such a successful shift from fun/silly to tragic and brutal since the Despero issues of JLI, way back when. Cornell's Stormwatch was a series of great ideas that never entirely came together, but Demon Knights remains gold.

I also caught up with Frankenstein: #6 has an interesting mash-up of a seminal Watchmen moment and Heart of Darkness. I'm torn about the upcoming art change: the current style isn't my favorite, but it suits the title perfectly. We'll see.

14. Admiral_Young

15. Nerys Myk

Well, they are members of the JSA.

16. Admiral_Young

Of course they were, I'm well aware of that. Talking about the current version of the Justice Society though with Jay, Ted, etc. Oh and I'm not complaining or anything. Just Didio made a big deal about mention the JSA were going to be back about this and I'm pretty sure he wasn't bragging the version with the big three.

17. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Admiral I would say that this version of the big three will be off the table, setting it for more familiar characters by the end of the first issue if not the first arc. The line about a "great cost being suffered" leads me to believe this.

Power Girl without cleavage?! Whos bad idea was this? Outrage! I say, Outrage!

18. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, nice cover and all but where is the JSA? this is the variant...so where is the real cover?

19. Admiral_Young

20. Nerys Myk

The boob window outrage is funny. PG dumped that version of her costume early on ( by her seventh appearance) and it was only brought back when she re-joined the JSA around 2002. Memorable, but hardly iconic.:guffaw: