Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jax, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Trying to think if this is right section to post it in but since its about when I game, seems right (sorry to mods if am wrong)...

Been having a few issues with my Graphics card recently so I was wondering does anyone know of a program that could help me monitor my temp while I game. Tried google but so far nothing, years ago I used something from Guru 3-D but I can't find that program anymore.

Any help would be great. :techman:

2. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Run the game in a window and use the standard ATI/Nvidia monitoring tool?

I was having intermittent fan problems with my current card at one point. The system consistently bluescreened at a GPU temp of 131 degrees centigrade. :)

Oddly enough, a BIOS update seemed to fix it.

As luck would have it, just today I discovered that my 120mm case fan has stopped working too. Gonna have to fix that before summer.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I got these static lines that looked like Space Invaders, at first I thought it was a virus but google searches brought me to basically my Ram in my GPU could be dying or over heating causing card to conk out at times leading to blue screen of death (happened a few times this year).

My card is Nvidia 8800 GTX and is several years old (4 I think) so hope old age is not the cause and just overheating issues.

4. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Download GPU-Z. I'm pretty sure you can set it up to record and output your video card's temperatures to a text file. Just start it up before the game and stop it when you finish.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

My GPU died on me earlier today so my PC is out of commision. I guess I will just buy the same card since its cheap and I don't have the money to buy an expensive card. Its an old model but plays alot of games still out today quite well.

:( oh to top things off my door on my PC Tower dropped off and I don't know how to get it back on which means just having the ability to even press the opn button is not as simple as once was.

I FUCKING HATE MY LIFE :rolleyes:

6. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Bad luck mate. But are you sure you can get a cheap (i.e. from a perf/$ perspective) 8800GTX? In my experience that's not how formery high-end hardware tends to age. Also the additional strain that a hot card like the GTX places on your PC re: thermal management and power consumption is probably worth a few dollars too. For what it's worth, the 1GB Radeon 5770 for $150 is about where the sweet spot is at atm; might pay to check out some benchmarks and such before being too hasty about picking up another 8800GTX.

For my part I'm still deciding whether to upgrade my video card or HDD (to an SSD) next. It'll be my only upgrade for the year so I have to make it count. In some ways it'd be easier if one of them just exploded and took the choice away from me. :lol:

Course, then I wouldn't be able to re-sell the old hardware. :shifty:

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

going to stick my old 6600 in my pc so I can at least use it until I buy a new card. I am looking at getting a 9600 or 9800 for around £70ish the cheapest i've seen it so far.

8. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

I got a gts 250.

9. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I've just put in an order for new system parts (939 board is finally blowing some caps) and found this GPU comparison chart very helpful: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697-7.html
    8800GTX is a strong card without a current tech. equivalent, however later series, particularly on the Radeon side, should run a whole lot cooler.

10. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

The 8xxx series cards suffer from the infamous problem of bad soldering which results in a higher chance it might fail.

Either an equivalent model from the Nvidia 9xxx (or later) series or an ATI 5770 CF.
    An ATI card would run much cooler and incorporates new technologies.

11. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for that link. I was originally looking to get a GTX 460, but it looks like the GTS 250 is only a tier lower and I can find it for about half the price.

12. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

^ Nice. GTS 250 is a monster of a card at its price point, especially with rebates. I nearly got one for my new system, but found an HD 5770 at $135 after rebate that should last me a bit longer.
    Hey, may the worst of anyone's troubles today be deciding which eye-candy graphics card to buy.

Anyone want to buy a heavily used Radeon x700? :)

13. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

I have a nvidia gts 250. Dont try to sucker me.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

It was a 7600GT I had sitting around not a 6600 so with that in, I am in no rush to get a new card though I think this christmas I will take a punt on either a 9600GT or a ATI equivalent. I don't game loads on the PC so I don't need anything flashy though running STAR WARS MMO smoothly next year would be nice :).

My only issue with ATI cards are the whole cataylst driver system never sat well with me and Nvidia just seemed more streamlined for me. I know ATI for alot of pro gamers are good due to tweaks you can make but like I said I hardly game on the PC much these days though I have my eyes on a few games next year.

15. TheBrew

I got my GTS 250 installed. Along with my new PSU, my PC is a medium sized beast. Has been easily handling everything I throw at it, though my most recent game is ST:Online, so I don't have anything really tough to throw at it.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I think come christmas I will go for the GTS 250, its better than the 9 series cards far as I know and the prices have come down. My current set up should be able to run it fine :)

17. TheBrew

I got it for $100 (after Rebate) so it should be pretty affordable.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Looking at £80ish at the moment for the 512 version though I may look at the 1GB version come christmas. I probably will be looking at overhauling my PC over the next year or so...

I will probably go from Dual to Quad Core and up to DDR3 Ram (3gb at least) from my current DDR 2 (4gb), my current motherboard is capable of working with Quad Cores though am not sure about DDR3 Ram, though I could get a bundle pack so end up with a new motherboard anyway. I'll stick with Windows Vista despite my dislike for it because am not convinced by Windows 7's setup nor the price.