STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

^seconded. I got back from watching the movie a fourth time and dammit now I can't sleep! I've got to get to work tomorrow by nine am.

I'll catch you all later...

PS. And yes every word that came out of Karl Urban's mouth was G. O. L. D.
    PPS. My friend's 19-yr old nephew was with us (a Transformers, SW, and FF6 fan)... the word out of HIS mouth after the movie when asked how it was: "AWESOME!!" That made me happy :D

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's the exact same brewery. It also doubles as the factory where Willie saves a human from an industrial accident.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Have him tell his friends!

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ive only seen 4 movies in the theater more than once, they are: STIV: 2 times; STVI: 2 times; ST09: 4 times; STID: 4 times.

RAMA

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Some commentary on that: A Few Thoughts On Star Trek: Into Darkness

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=itFoZeWtAQs[/yt]

Star Trek Whiteness

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i've seen all three star wars prequel movies twice. the last two LOTR movies twice, ST 09: Twice and STID twice. might go for a third this week.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

So it's a step BACKWARD to show an Indian or Middle Eastern looking guy acting like a crazy terrorist? Crashing a giant starship into a city? That's progress, is it?

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^The whole thing is all about the casting of non-white actors in major parts in movies from the United States (and the lack thereof).

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think it might be a bit of a sore spot for folks in the Middle East and of Middle Eastern descent for a terrorist (Khan) to be played by someone from that area. Plus, you just fire up folks who think that all folks from that area of the world are terrorists.

I don't think they made the wrong call here. In this particular instance.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The next big screen Andorian can only be played by an androgynous actor with blue skin. And his own antennae!

The next straight actor to play a gay character is in for a big shock when it comes to rehearsal time.

11. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Ridiculous analogies.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If she wasn't cute I'd have cut off her whine less than a minute in.

Does that make me shallow? :guffaw:

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Wow, what a ridiculously over-the-top rant. She has the air of someone who gets extremely upset at incredibly minor things because they haven't had a lot of exposure to real adversity yet. I guarantee that if a darker skinned Khan had been portrayed as a terrorist in this film she would be even more offended by the racial implications of that.

Khan was played by a white guy with dark(er) makeup in TOS, and without it in TWoK. The producers originally considered a darker skinned actor for STiD (Benecio del Toro) before settling on Cumberbatch, so the implication that they're deliberately whitewashing the character seems unfair.

14. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Saw it again this afternoon. Played better the second time, and I thought it was great the first time. Love the turnaround they do with TWOK. It's a story about friendship, loyalty and sacrifice in reverse. Kirk steps up and retakes the "no-win scenario". And the emotional Spock - I like him! This movie is just so well done!

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

If so, I'm guilty of the same thing.

Also known as: "recent college graduate."

16. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm afraid cute wasn't enough to overcome the one-two of the accompanying links in SZ's post and the description attached to the video:

Sorry, that promises way too much angry agenda for me to have the slightest interest in clicking the "Play" button, never mind any of the links.

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

19. judgeroy

judgeroy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Look, I understand that some people are up in arms over the fact that they chose someone without darker skin and in some way I can see why they are. However, take a moment and see this from the other side as well. Considering the fact that the writers are taking enough of a risk tweeking a sitting President about some of his policies (ie using drones to kill enemies both foreign and domestic, including citizens without due process), do you really think that they are going to stoop to "whitewashing" for PC purposes? I don't think so. I really believe they had someone picked out, it didn't work and they liked how Cumberpatch did the role. Nothing more, nothing less and in reality, I don't think it done any less justice to the role in question.

20. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

I wonder who paid her to read that, and I wonder who deemed him too unsightly for video.

This has never been the reason they're upset about Khan. Read what they were saying when they thought Del Toro had the part.