College: Gender Studies (Feminism Discussion)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by hxclespaulplayer, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Re: College: Gender Studies

I was directed to this abortion from the Forum That Must Not Be Named.

It is not disappoint.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Good for you, really. I think this is a field that can be very stimulating intellectually because it challenges common assumptions about societal roles most of us have grown up with. There's also some bullshit and nonsense but that's the case with every academic field. The most important thing to learn in academics is to be discerning and determining the merit of any theory or argument you're being presented with.

As others have said it's never wrong to learn new things and personally, I'm very much in favour of pursueing academic studies for their own merit and not neccessarily as a career thing.
    I suspect a degree in Gender Studies isn't that useful in that regard but others have made good points about how you might be able to make it useful. It's certainly possible to carve out a niche for your set of qualifications.

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Just for you, an article by the founder of the world's first battered womens' shelter.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for-men/from-avfm-editor-at-large-erin-pizzey/

She, I'm sure, is a misogynist too ;).

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

that website has a list of women down the side under the title 'offenders' and a list of their so called crimes.

it is utterly hateful.

what is that meant to prove anyway? that you read a lot of twisted blogs?

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Not a misogynist, but clearly too steeped in fervent anti-communist rhetoric to think straight.

And linking to A Voice for Men? Are you fucking serious, dude?

Look, I know you've got your issues, and I don't think you're a bad guy, but maybe you should just cut your losses and back out of this thread before you make yourself look any more foolish. You're pushing some really hateful misogynist dogma here. I don't know why. I don't know how you got sucked into the MRA Zone. I figured you'd be too smart for that claptrap. However it happened, you might want to take some time to think about what you're saying, how it comes off, and why it's received such a hostile reaction here. Hint: it's not because we've all been bought off by the "feminist conspiracy."

6. Deranged Nasat

I'm certain anyone reading this can see which of us is the hateful one, feminist.

Sincerely,

"a whiny little misogynist douchebag".

7. Deranged Nasat

Quite so, I assure you.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

:wtf:

I can't think of much else to say at this point. Good luck with... whatever it is.

9. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

that website links to a wiki where feminists are labelled 'bigots' and are found alongside lists of female criminals. sick.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's you.

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I fail to see how any of this is helping the original poster in any way. The poster asked a question. A few people answered it. The rest of this bullshit is completely irrelevant to hxclespaulplayer's question, so maybe we should just close this thread and take this crap to TNZ where it belongs.

Jesus Christ on a Pony.

12. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Eh, we don't really see any blatant misogyny in TNZ, you know. Misc is a much worse offender there.

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Ah. I wouldn't know. I don't go in there. But my point stands. The question was asked and answered, despite all the bullshit. Perhaps we can just close and bury (and salt and burn) this thread?

14. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

To the OP:

This degree will help you immensely if you plan to pursue psychology or social work. Other than that I have to agree with this:

Deranged Nasat, I have read your posts with interest in the past. They have always been well reasoned and well thought out. I have liked the persona you presented in the past. With this one thread you have totally destroyed all of the respect and good will I used to have for you. This is very, very sad.

15. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I'm afraid that's pretty much how I see it, too. The complete lack of perspective and the incredibly warped view on reality is shocking. It's like the people who look into conspiracy theories, get lost in them and then completely lose their sense of reality.
    Or people who have serious issues, feel terrible and then start hating and blaming others to feel better. It's sad.

And if they're too far gone it doesn't matter what you tell them. Telling them they're wrong will just reinforce their weird views because they believe in some crazy "mainstream indoctrination" nonsense.

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

Yeah, but for the original poster, I'm all for studying what is interesting to you more than for job potential. That should be with the caveat that you can afford such freewheeling study. If the study is going to put you in a deep valley of debt, then being able to get gainful employment should play some measure in choosing what you will study. All the same, it's a shame to be at school choosing courses more or less only from utilitarian perspectives. So, that was just a meandering way to say 'it all depends.'

Join us, you don't know the power of the dark side.

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm completely shocked at this as well. I would like to think that maybe DN is just having a lashing out on a bad day but he's obviously pretty steeped in the hate sites. I'm at a complete loss for how to somehow fix my previously high opinion of him which is now in the gutter.

DN I've thought we've often been friendly with each other and I've always liked you. But all these hateful links, your use of the word 'feminist' as an insult, your anger and disdain towards women who espouse a position you despise.. that is all about me. That's me you view as some kind of enemy. Me and probably women in your own family, women you've been friends with or worked with IRL, women you've been talking to on this forum for years. It's not some nasty insidious faction of jackboot gender thugs, a THEM out to make your life hell, it is US people already in your life to one degree or another. And you're going to have a lot of hurt feelings because you've stepped outside of that and made us all the enemy.

I hope to god you don't talk like this IRL. I can't imagine how you'd get along with family or make real friends, which seems to be something you've wanted. Angry men on the internet are not a good substitute.

casey likes this.
  18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I've always liked Deranged Nasat but linking to such an awful site as that voice for men one has really made my opinion of him plummet, I'm afraid. I couldn't believe the hate I was seeing on that site.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My god.. you should (or maybe shouldn't) read the article on that site about how men are abused by the feminist agenda in India because the Indian government isn't concerned about men being raped by women.

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's currently being discussed in the BR (just waiting for the other mods to check in), so I'll let you know if a decision if made regarding an infraction.

I understand that you were provoked and that the rhetoric was extremely insulting and hateful, but let's please not resort to flaming anyone. Thanks.

That goes for everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.