Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Borg451, Jul 3, 2008.

?

What did you think?

1. 1 - V. Poor shouldnt have made this movie.

2.3%
  2. 2 - Pretty Poor

4.1%
  3. 3 - Meh.. okay. definitely worth a download..

22.2%
  4. 4 - V. Good.

60.8%
  5. 5 - Best Stargate ever.

10.5%
  1. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that's what I figured, too. They're now living in a golden age of peace (at least until Ba'al screwed up the timeline), so it's time to come out of hiding.

Sean

2. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

***1/2

Well, that was a surprise. I hated the craptastic piece of junk that was Ark of Truth, but y'know what? Continuum was great. And I'm not one of the fanboys that likes anything the Stargate team comes up with.

Silly time-travel tripe, but it delivers everything you could expect from a premise like that. Some nice character moments thrown in. And it felt a little bigger than the TV episodes, which Ark of Truth didn't. I wanted more of RDA and the arctic stuff, but I'm not complaining. Color me surprised that they actually pulled this off and delivered a genuinely entertaining flick.

3. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "Stargate" franchise will never be remembered as brimming with originality. The plots for nearly every episode have been recycled from other shows, so the fact that this movie bears a strong resemblance to other episodes of this series doesn't bother me that much. Their strength has always been taking a familiar story and doing it well while injecting some humor and well-made action sequences, and that's pretty much what I got out of this movie. It was definitely a more cohesive whole than "Ark of Truth", with no pointless Replicator subplots. It's a sufficiently larger story, as well, and I've never had that lame, intense hatred of "reset button" stories that so many other fans seem to. Just boils down to a lot of inane whining. If the characters don't remember it, so be it - but I will.

So all in all, I had good fun with this. There was some good action, nice special effects, and that good ol' Stargate snarkiness.

Oh, and Joel Goldsmith knocked the score outta the park on this one, too. More time and money definitely brings out the music for these two movies.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe you should watch the Ark movie again, I still want my 90 minutes back.

5. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Absolutely FANTASTIC! I think I even got a tingle up my leg.

It's late so I'm not going to say much more right now but boy was that FUN.

6. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Agreed. Much better than Ark of Truth, this felt more like a movie, and not an over budgeted 2 parter. I'll echo the earlier laments-wish RDA had a bigger role, or at the very least, gotten a couple of more days in for a handful of addition, short scenes...I would've had him listening in on the hanger conversation Landry had with Carter, Mitchell, and Jackson. And maybe a scene with him playing baseball with Charlie (during the One Year Later montage), while flashing back to an almost fatal incident Charlie had with the gun...
    Speaking of the hanger scene...I know there were real world problems but, I wish Hammond were the Gen they asked for...I mean, Landry's nice and all, but Hammond ran the SGC for 7 years, and they would've mentioned that in their debriefing. Why ask for Hank? The scene...What arrogance.. would've come off even stronger had it come from George.

Quibbles aside (how did Ba'al deal with Anubis?!), it was an enjoyable feature, and leaves me wanting more SG1 adventures...:techman:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Ascended or no, if Baal knows all of Anubis' secret weapons (which he does---he took over the guy's fleet, remember), Anubis would never be able to gain real power. Too much overt power used directly would bring the Ancients down on him, after all.

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Simple. He never got rid of his old bus!

Oh, I crack myself up!

One question, though. If Ba'al went back in time to "re-live" those years, what happened to the Ba'al already living in that time?

9. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Good - I liked it more than I thought I would.

Unlike "Ark of truth", this movie was also paced better... More quiet moments that made the action stand out more.

Great final action scene as well... Rings, Stargate, Jaffa, plus bullets flying... Like good 'ol SG1. :D

10. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am going to require a rewatch that didn't happen at midnight before I officially vote. However, I am currently sitting on a "meh...okay." Maybe I had my hopes up too high, maybe I'm just tired, or maybe it really does just fall flat for me, regardless. It wasn't bad and it was fairly entertaining, but it was still a mite disappointing. I loved the O'Neill cameo, though I would have loved to see more of him. I enjoyed the sequence where Daniel was trying to convince "himself" that he was right and to not give up. I also enjoyed how they depicted Daniel after the loss of his leg, he was a real smart-ass at times, kind of like O'Neill but it had a very unique Daniel-esque spin to it. Also enjoyed the Hammond appearence. I thought the arctic sequences were great, especially that sunrise sequence. Incredible! Enjoyed seeing Ba'al go at it again in full cocky, all-powerful god mode.

I think there could have been more substance to it. They should have added a bit of time to the movie, and gotten more material in there. That may be why it fell flat with me- it seemed like there was very little of anything there, especially for an hour and a half. Claudia Black's performance as Quetesh was great. However, for being a goddess, she seemed to have lacking her normal beauty. Her Quetesh mode wasn't as attractive as she normally is. Right now, I have to say that the ending probably killed it for me. It was weak. Even if I completely ignore me over-thinking the whole time-travel thing, it still left me with a major cop-out feel.
    Mitchell travels back in time, plots for 10 years (which we don't see), he kills the bad guy and dismantles his plot at the source, saves the time line (ignoring Mitchell's added presence), and everyone lives happily ever after

Sure, it could be argued that Ark of Truth's dues ex machina was a pretty big cop-out too, but we knew what to expect- they were looking for an Ancient toy to end all of there troubles. Here, we get what could be an interesting time travel story, a larger budget, more time, and the possibility/ hope for a new, different, unique conclusion, and we get... that. It was almost like they ran out of gas and had to end the story. Granted, it was a good scene, but the conclusion as a whole was weak.

Like I said, I will save my vote until I see it in the light of day and maybe with lower expectations, but for now, I'm going to have to say I'm fairly disappointed, and definately like AoT better.

11. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I was wondering about that myself and what you said makes sense.

Too bad Jack didn't have more time but he was the season 8 Jack, devoid of any seriousness or decorum and even started slipping into his Canadian accent at one point on the sub.

I liked the cameos but also wished they had switched Landry and Hammond. But I loved how Hammond didn't give SG-1 the time of day.

Can you believe all the ships that Baal had? That was great.

There is just so much. I'll have to watch it again.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just re-think things in regards to Continuum, and came to a realization: Ba'al's original plan of manipulating Earth's governments into being loyal to the Goa'uld would have for a far more interesting movie then just having squillions of motherships bombard the hell out of the planet while death gliders take on F-15s and MIGs.

Also, a nitpick. When Mitchell was getting getting into his F-15 he had the insignia of a "full-bird" Colonel on his uniform, yet the closing credits have him listed as "Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell."

13. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was fun for what it was, by the books time travel, didnt really do anything wrong nor anything new.

I quite liked people fading away as time changed, it was slightly different to the normal instant change.

I agree that Ba'als plan was much better then the bombardment we got, I think overall it could have been better if they arrived on earth and found Ba'al working with Earth's governments like he suggests and then have SG1 try and convince them that he's evil.

14. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I agree that it would've been cooler to have Hammond in that scene, I think it makes more sense to have Landry since he was their current commander.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's a Minnesotan accent. Really. ;)

16. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's why "Yesterday's Enterprise" is the standard for alternate timeline episodes. It brought back Tasha Yar, made her aware that her actions would mean her death in both realities, and had consequences down the line.

Here's my Netflix review, I don't feel like typing up two different things.

The budget and cooperation from the US Armed Forces was there but the writers didn't bring their A-game. This looked bigger and less soundstage-y than the dull "Ark of Truth" with scenes filmed on submarines and shot in the Arctic.

Big problem though is this is basically a re-do of the two-parter Moebius. The problem with Star Trek and Stargate alternate time episodes is we know that there's no consequences because it'll all reset by the end. That sucks all the tension out of a story that doesn't need to be told. "Ark" needed to be told to wrap up the O'ri story. With cameos from the ghosts of Stargate's past all over the place, this was all pomp and no circumstance.

When adapting TV shows to film, the scope of the film should be bigger than a two-parter episode. Also, the direction and cinematography should be more in line with film. When we didn't have glory shots of the arctic, the camera sat there statically and a lot of scenes screamed soundstage.

But all is not bad. It was great to see Cliff Simon as Ba'al. Claudia Black got to ham it up as a villian and thankfully the saving grace was Ben Browder who got to be the lead player. Christopher Judge's Teal'c drew the short straw. The big annoyance for me was that Sam Carter is a Mary Sue even in an alternate timeline. At least in Moebius she was a funny dork.

17. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Apparently, he quietly killed and replaced him some time after he attempted to sink the Giza Stargate. It couldn't have been before that, because then history would've still been messed up when Mitchell killed him at the end.

18. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the blu ray yesterday :) Can't wait to watch it. I did quickly pop it in last night before bed and watched the scene with the F-15's/MIGs vs. the death gliders; GREAT STUFF!! The production values look top notch in this version. If you have a blu ray player, this was demo quality material :cool:

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Based on the comments in this thread, I won't be bothering with the movie, but how does it depict the Tok'ra? Are they no longer dying?

20. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^It shows them as having a pretty sizable city. They're probably not dying out anymore since they are no longer having to hide from the Goa'uld.