Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Warped9, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So? Not everyone is going to share the same opinions, likes and dislikes that you are. I'm not a fan of comic books myself. That doesn't mean I'm completely clueless to the Batman universe. Movies, tv shows, cartoons, novels, comics, they're all different and varying ways to tell a story. They all appeal to different audiences.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So what was the point of your response to JirinPanthosa then? Following the canon is different than following the "guidelines". The guidelines are broad strokes. Canon is the minutia.

3. Nerys Myk

Not really. I know a lot of people who've never read a comic. Doesn't mean they hate them, just that the format doesn't appeal to them.

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    And yet any of these things could be changed if it fit the story. Nolan's Wayne/Batman is certainly very different from the comic book one.

5. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

All I know is that Batman is a Niner.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Abrams created a new franchise, and that one is kept alive by STD, some tie-in comics and some tie-in games. It doesn't do jack shit for the old franchise. The old franchise is kept alive by things like blu ray releases for TNG. Otherwise it would slowly die off. Heck, that the actor of Bane happened to play Shinzon probably helped to sell a few Nemesis DVDs.

7. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

This. These movies are fine action movies. I'd even go so far and claim that ST09 was the best rollercoaster theatre experience I ever had. But if you expect anything else from them, like at least half-thought through scripts with some interesting ideas, they fail.
    Nobody is claiming that Trek was ever on average particularly intelligent. If you want intelligent sci-fi you read and don't watch TV. Which is precisely why dumbing it down is inexcusable.

8. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

There are business sites that saying that the box office is 'disappointing' mainly because execs were expecting a much larger opening;

And some sites that claim this;

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-debut-falls-short-in-crowded-box-office.html

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/star-trek-into-darkness-us-box-office_3676064

I'll assume these box office analysts are basing this claim from studio execs expectations.

This is the typical pattern you see with blockbuster flicks and big budget reboots-- spend more, not making enough-it's a bomb, lets reboot again.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe.

There's no reason to assume that it would have been successful.

We only know that Abrams has made it more successful than ever before.

Therefore, he's due all the credit that people give him.

10. Nerys Myk

It's the same franchise: Star Trek.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. Not every attempt at a reboot succeeds. Hello, LOST IN SPACE (twice), DARK SHADOWS (thrice!), FLASH GORDON (Syfy version), THE FUGITIVE (Tim Daly version), THE NIGHT STALKER, THE AVENGERS (Uma Thurman version), THE SHADOW, THE PHANTOM (twice), THE GREEN HORNET, WONDER WOMAN, etc.

Rebooting a franchise is harder than it looks. For every BATTLESTAR GALACTICA or BATMAN BEGINS, there's a failed attempt to revive KOJAK or THE BIONIC WOMAN. And the jury is still out on THE LONE RANGER and IRONSIDE.

We can't just assume that a different reboot of STAR TREK would have been an automatic success.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  12. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new movies have infused life back into the older series' and movies. Do you honestly think that they aren't connected, even as the new movies make a direct connection to the original series?

"Studio heads are disappointed," and "some people claim studio heads are/should be disappointed" are two wildly different statements. The adjustment made by the studio executives was made at the last minute, and the release date was changed somewhat, which undoubtedly confused some people, as now they were hearing three dates (15th, 16th, and 17th) in the U.S.

That will have an effect on box office take. The original expectations by the studio, before the last minute push, was right in line with how Star Trek Into Darkness is doing now.

I have heard nothing about the Paramount studio execs being disappointed.

13. Belz...

Well _I_ was a bit dissapointed. I wanted 100+ million by the first Sunday, not 84.

14. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wanted 300 million federation credits

15. Belz...

Federation credits aren't good out here. I need something more real.

Woah, wrong franchise.

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

they tried rebooting Lost in Space twice? I know of the movie in the late nineties, but what was the other attempt?

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  18. Admiral Buzzkill

Yep, been watching it for nearly fifty years. It's Star Trek.

19. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

:confused: I didn't say it wasn't, or couldn't be. Obviously, it can be highly profitable too.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

People create things because it's what they have to do. People who are able to make their living creating things are pretty fortunate in that respect, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.