Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

^ More than likely yes. I've mentioned in this thread that Marvel has gone to trouble promoting the character heavily in a lot of books which makes sense and he doesn't seem to have a mask in the film. Unless they've given him his Ultimate character's trademark sunglasses.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Avenging Spiderman #4 - waste of money imo. Quite boring. I.Don't.Miss. You could see how that was going to play out by page 6. Hope Cap is better next month. This title just got put on notice.

Venom #13.2 - I continue to enjoy the Circle of Four, mainly cause it's such a dominant Ghost Rider story. It would've been better served to have this story as a last ditch attempt to bolster sales in Ghost Rider with the guest stars involved. It only, at best, serves as a periphery crossover of merit with Venom. If there weren't three more issues in this arc then perhaps the "death" of all 4 might even cause one to blink. This also set up the conclusion for Ghost Rider #9 where Alejandara fights to redeem the souls of those in Nicaragua that she took upon first becoming Ghost Rider.

3. Admiral_Young

I don't know if Avenging was boring, it was kind of a heart to heart issue, and we get to see what makes Clint tick and why he's so obsessed with being the best. He's quite correct with the self-assessment imo as well. I like the issue's ending just because of what Peter did for Clint. That's the essence of Peter's character. He's a good guy no matter what or how much of an ass the other guy is. He understands and listens to people. Ultimate what these team up's do in my opinion is just underline how awesome Spidey is and reinforce the fact he is the heart and soul of the MU.

The Age of Ultron is upon us. Bendis' final Avengers (presumably).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/16/the-retailer-cover-for-marvels-free-comic-book-day/

Winter Soldier #2: This book is very good. I don't have much to say about it, except I like it a lot. Interesting to see how Doom will factor in next issue. Future Foundation member or not, you do not want to piss off Victor.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I feel like these "HAMMER War" Avengers issues are extremely fluffed out. I read an issue and it feels like nothing happens in it. There's a fight, but it doesn't really resolve or establish anything... Also, I don't know who 2/3 of these New Dark Avengers are, they're not half as cool as the original ones.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Decompression is pretty much Bendis' schtick. Always has been. In ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN he took 6 issues to accomplish what Stan Lee and Steve Ditko did in 15 pages.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's always been a problem, but these just feel worse than normal. But yeah the opening of Ult Spidey was ridiculously drawn out. The first two story arcs of the Heroic Age Avengers felt a lot faster and filled.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Interesting that Captain America and Bucky and Secret Avengers are using similar plot lines and Cap and the Original Torch are involved in both.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Fantastic Four 603-- The conclusion of the "Forever" arc. Johnathon Hickman wraps things up nicely here while still leaving enough open for future arcs. I am really interested in seeing comes of...

...future Franklin and Val, who appear at the end of the issue straight from where we last saw them at the end of Fantastic Four 584.

X-Men: Legacy 261/262-- XML 262 came out today, and based on what I've read online about the story, I decided to pick up the last issue and this (actually, I would've loved to have gotten the 260.1 issue as well, abut alas, it had sold out). I think I like this book because I now have a story to read on the Westchester side of the Schism without having to endure the relentless goofyness of WatXM.

Anyway, the story is this-- Exodus comes to the Jean Grey School looking to re-unite the mutant race by forcing Wolverine's side to go back to Utopia. Rogue and Wolverine convince him that the Schism is Cyclops fault, and thus he goes on his merry way to kill Cyclops.

Now, despite their differences, nobody on Wolvie's team wants Scott dead so they head out in pursuit. Rogue thinks that Utopia deserves a heads-up, but Wolverine wants to clean up his own mess (largely so he doesn't have to hear Scott say "I told you so"). Rogue goes behind his back and gives the Extinction Team on Utopia the heads-up (Secretly hoping that her boyfriend Magneto would swoop to the rescue). The issue ends with Wovie's team getting ass-kicked and reinforcements arriving in the form of...

... Hope, the Lights, Pixie, Surge and Dust. Obviously, Hope, as a part of the Extinction Team, got Rogue's message first, and instead of calling Cyclops, puts together her own team to come to the rescue. Whoops!

Wolverine is not happy, because this puts the kids of Utopia in harms way, which is what he claimed to wanted to avoid. Personally, I'm with Rogue here. If Logan had just swallowed his pride and let Utopia know what had happened, then they could've gotten proper reinforcements. Personally, I think it would be funny if Exodus, after meeting Hope and realizing how obstinate, stubborn and headstrong she is, decides that a beter punishment for Scott would be just to let him deal with her.:guffaw:

Avengers Academy 26-- Solid issue that wraps up the "Second Semester" arc. However, the highlight here wasn't the story, but rather a letter from a homophobe accusing Christos Gage of having a political agenda and writing age-inappropriate stories by including gay characters. Gage's thoughtful, well-resonsoned reply is a masterpiece.

It has caused waves on the CBR boards and elsewhere, with poster The Ronin posting it on his Facebook page and sending it to George Takei in hopes of him reproducing it on his "It's OK To Be Takei" blog.

Here is the letter and Gage's response...
    [​IMG]

I also bought the new Captain America and Bucky today, but have not yet read it.

9. Admiral_Young

It amuses me that people continue to use spoiler code despite the fact that I specifically mentioned spoilers in the title and have stated elsewhere in the thread that spoilers are welcome.

Hickman is planning somekind of big Future Fantastic Four arc...in the year 3000 or something coming up. I believe the upcoming point one issue touches on this arc.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Venom #13.3 - This issue deals entirely with the "death" of our heroes last issue. How Mephisto plans to use them all utilizing his greatest tool of course...The Deal. The one tidbit of a reveal I enjoyed was that Blackheart was actually Adam in disguise. Adam was the cult leader who hand picked Alejandro to be the GR. Knowing that Adam was Blackheart makes all kinds of sense now cause I'd been wondering just how this Adam could dictate where Zarathos was, how Adam could remove the bonding from Blaze.
    Not sure I like the idea of our heroes making a deal with Mephisto...for their souls? I mean to X-23 it's the thing she's most wanted to know she had. Now to just trade it in a deal? I'm still enjoying this story and the art is really good. Next issue our heroes will be back to life and "working" with Mephisto to thwart Blackheart's plan it seems. Those two are always in a power struggle with humans caught in the middle.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well i guess i'll be done reading the X-Men soon...

13. Turtletrekker

While I'm not a huge fan of Bendis' de-compressed storytelling, I have largely enjoyed his Avengers run. For me, sticking with the X-books will depend more upon how AvX leaves the franchise and the direction that Bendis will take it.

14. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope Aaron stays on Wolverine and the X-Men and Remander stays on X-Force.

As for Bendis, loved his run on Daredevil. If he takes over X-Men though, get ready for six issue story arcs that should be wrapped up in four issues. Not something I'm looking forward to.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I recall not thinking much of Bendis' issues of Ultimate X-Men. Still, hopefully it will be good. I did enjoy his Avengers run(s) when it bringing the action and not the lack of action.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i really liked Powers and his run on Daredevil was really good...i just hate everything he did/is doing with Avengers. i got back into X-Men because i wanted a Marvel team book to read.

17. Admiral_Young

Uh-Oh. I wonder what this will mean for ReGenesis and Kieron Gillen and Jason Aaron? Is the Schism going to be over? I kind of hope not. Oh, I just saw that this is Rich saying industry insiders told him. He has turned out to be right about many things, but until the other sites start reporting it I'll take this as speculation for now.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

He is replacing Gillen on UXM.

Good luck with HoM Part 2.

19. Admiral_Young

20. Turtletrekker

I'll miss Gillen on Uncanny, but will follow him to whatever project he has coming up next.