Last Resort was Awesome.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Sep 12, 2012.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

^ The problem is someone here posted and article from one of the writers who flat out addmited that they were working on the 6th episode and clearly didn't know how many different stories they could come up with, that there was really no arc to the show, because they didn't know how many stories they could get out of it.

It shows. I understand stretching the story out, and I understand it's TV and we have to have some disbelief, but when I'm watching rolling my eyes at family members dying and no one caring all because one guy on a team wasn't in position for no real, the show needs to end.

2. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read on Wikipedia that they are going to show all 13 episodes, I think that means four left as of this writing and that the show producers got sufficient notice of the cancellation to "rework" the last show into a finale to "give the fans closure". Of course I realize that "I read it on Wikipedia" is only slightly more credible than "I heard it at the barber shop".

3. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Thats been confirmed by a few of the people involved in the show, but how much resolution can you do in one hour? Whatever the existing plot line is in the 12th show is going to be wholesale dumped, and a completely arbitrary ending written for show 13. It's going to be jarring and likely make little sense.

4. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hear ya, Brolan. But a cobbled-together ending is still better than no ending at all (hopefully). I has occured to me that the whole DVD set business may have caused (or may be causing) a reversal in the thinking of the network types.

They used to think that if they ended a series with an actual conclusion that nobody would watch in syndication because they already knew how it turned out. (One of the few early series that did finish its story, The Fugitive, bore that out as it did poorly in syndication despite being a top-notch drama.)

Now, they might be thinking that if they have an ending they'll be able to sell DVD's labled "Complete Series" more readily than if it were left open-ended.

5. bigdaddy

^ ABC doesn't give a damn about DVD sales, they don't produce the show, Sony does. So Sony will be making any money off of TV sales.

I love the title of this thread, Last Resort WAS Awesome. Yes it was, not it sucks. :lol:

6. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

But ABC get's the money if it's on Hulu, right?

7. bigdaddy

NBC owns Hulu, so they still won't be getting all that much money.

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

After a couple of dumb episodes the last two have been much better. Still that mafia dude should be fucking toast by now.

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully the Chinese fella will off him in a reveal of his ruthless side.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I can see that if this went on much longer it would turn into the "Let's see how much we can make Mrs. XO suffer" show. I find that annoying.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's just going to be held in his bathroom for a month and nothing else is going to happen to her in THAILAND... Where is she? It's a seedy little country were they let you buy vital internal organs and then play with the corpse afterwards.

Never leave home.

Usually only %96 of you comes back, but that's just about healthy bowel movements most of the time.

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Manilla, isn't it?
    I have a friend who got a mail-order bride from there.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really not paying attention anymore.

It got stupid and ridiculous a long time back.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the first episode or two were totally engrossing, but they quickly resorted to spinning wheels and I barely pay attention when it's on anymore.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I'm only still watching because I know there are only a few more episodes and I'm curious how they'll leave it. If this is any sign of how it would go for multiple seasons, I'd bail right now.

16. bigdaddy

It's rare when someone goes "I'd ditch this show if it wasn't already canceled". :lol:

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I struggled with how to express that. :lol:

18. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh, why didn't they just kill blondie off? At the very least it would give the make-up crew a break from trying to cover up her acne for HD. Clearly it just isn't possible.

Anyway, there are some elements that work on this show, but way too many that miss the mark. The XO, the wife, the arms dealer woman who wants the helmet cam, the evil black dude... just terrible. I think you guys got it right, see what kind of endgame is on offer, now that we know they don't get to drag it out.