NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Use of Time, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Johnny Knox has 'retired.'

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Well, he did kind of get snapped in half and need his spine fused back together.

3. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

This shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone who's seen the hit--it's easily among the nastiest, most cringe-inducing things I've ever seen.

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Romo's extension has been somewhat of a buzz this week. I would be leary of going past three years with him. I wouldn't mind seeing a QB drafted if possible. I've got my eye on a guy like Ryan Nassib from Syracuse as someone that the Cowboys might be able to steal in the second round. Mek Kiper has zero QB's going in the first round as of right now. I think we all know that isn't going to be the case. I think Mike Glennon's stock is getting better everyday from what I hear and he could possibly go earlier than expected along with Geno Smith.

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

So I saw on ESPN that the Colts are releasing Dwight Freeny and Austin Collie. The Packers have let go of Charles Woodson as well.

Should be a fun off-season!

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

That didn't last long.

:lol:

7. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

There seems to be something of a game of chicken going on with regard to potential quarterback trades. Everyone seems to agree that this is a weak draft class for quarterbacks, and the only legitimate 1st rounder is Geno Smith. (Though probably one or two others will go in the first round, because there are so many QB-needy teams.) Additionally, there aren't many great options in free agency this year.

Two quarterbacks who could potentially at least compete for a starting job somewhere, if their current teams either trade or release them, are Alex Smith and Matt Flynn. Both SF and Seattle respectively sound willing to trade if they get the right offer. Or possibly even cut Smith or Flynn if they can't get anything for them, simply because it doesn't make much financial sense to be paying someone starting QB money if they're firmly entrenched in the backup role. It seems like most of their potential trade partners are playing hard to get though, acting as if they're not that interested, in the hopes that the players will just be cut, and they can sign them without giving up any draft picks.

Or at least, it might be an act. I'm not sure. I mean, can the new Jaguars coach really think this highly of Blaine Gabbert, even though he's been awful?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/47201/new-qb-coach-sees-the-good-in-gabbert

Another issue is that one of the QB-neediest teams is Arizona, which is in the same division as both SF and Seattle, and neither team is likely to want to trade a QB to their division rival. That may be why Arizona may instead sign Drew Stanton, and use him as insurance if Kevin Kolb doesn't work out:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...nton-could-join-arians-with-arizona-cardinals

8. Timby

San Francisco isn't getting any traction on trading Smith because everyone with a functional brain knows that it's incredibly unlikely that they're going to pay his $1 million roster bonus in March, and that there's no way in hell he's going to be on the roster come April 1, when his 2013 salary becomes guaranteed.

I don't think Flynn's going anywhere, yet. Russell Wilson had a spectacular rookie season, far better than anyone could have expected, but the Seahawks can't put all their chips on him, yet. There's no guarantee he won't have a brutal sophomore slump. After next season, if Wilson rocks the house again, then yeah, I can see Flynn on the trade market.

9. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Right, but if they're going to cut him anyway, then they'd presumably be willing to do a trade for virtually nothing. So if there's more than one team interested in him, then one of those teams can simply offer SF some very low draft pick to take him off their hands, and scoop him up before he hits the open market. OTOH, if only one team wants him, then that doesn't work. They're better off waiting SF out.

Seattle has sounded very open to trading Flynn, ever since their playoff loss, and their offseason began:

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/201...ahawks-could-trade-matt-flynn-this-offseason/

The latest rumor is the Jets: http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981849728
    but it's still really early.

10. Timby

Well, that's the other reason that no one's trading for Smith -- no one wants to give up even low-end assets to take on that contract, which is pretty heavily backloaded. It just isn't going to happen. The quarterback market may be thin this offseason, but I don't think teams are going to get moronic for Alex Smith.

11. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I have a hard time imagining Smith being successful outside of San Francisco. He was finally in a position with that team where all the star aligned as far as a good defense, good coach and decent running game. I feel like Harbaugh was able to get the maximum ability out of him.

12. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

So Smith's choice is be a backup in San Francisco, hoping Kapernick has a brutal stretch or gets injured or go flounder somewhere else? Wow, choices!

13. Timby

Smith's going to get himself a nice payday once he gets cut prior to his roster bonus vesting. As I said in the regular season thread:

Smith's going to get a decent contract this spring. It just won't be this contract, because no team in the league wants to touch that backloaded monstrosity.

14. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, getting fired is a ton of fun. :)

15. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Sick burn!

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Leave soccer to the Brits, I don't want them fucking up our game.

18. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Those were pretty funny. Had to think a bit to figure out a couple of them.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Early reports have Alex Smith on his way out of S.F.

Story

Rumor is it's K.C. he's headed for. Would they give up the #1 pick for Smith? Or would it be 2nd & 3rd round picks?

20. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has to be a combo of lower picks if he's going to KC... there is no way that Smith alone is a QB worth the #1 overall pick, and KC can't be so desperate that they would overpay by that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.