A Reboot TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by MrJ, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So lets assume that the next Nu Trek movie is the last one with these actors and film makers. I see two options if the franchise is still profitable:

1) A fresh reboot from the beginning with new actors playing Kirk, Spock and McCoy. And yet another origin story of how they meet again.

Or

2) Stay in this Abrams-verse and jump ahead 100 years to the TNG era.

I think the chances are higher for the former, but just for fun, lets look at what a nuTNG would look like.

Lets start with the ship. As the sets and special effects are the most important things in a "modern" Trek movie. The Enterprise D would look kind of what it looks like in the prime timeline, especially the Saucer Section. But the Engineering Hull would be warped and distorted as if seen with a fun house mirror. And the Warp Nacelles would be much bigger (about 3x larger) in proportion with the rest of the ship. The red Bussard Collectors would be blue, and there would be rocket thrusters at the back, with keeping in line with the NuEnterprise. And the whole ship would be about 2 miles long.

The interior would be a mix of sterile white futuristic and modern day grimy industrial. The Bridge would look somewhat like it did on the TV show, only bigger with a lot of extra standing consoles all over the place, a shinny floor and white walls. Not that we'd ever get a good look at it with the amount of lens flares on the camera.

The corridors would match the Bridge and would be long enough for the characters to run up and down them every time they need to get somewhere.

Engineering would be filmed in an old car factory or warehouse.

Next we have the characters.

Jean Luc Picard: 20 something year old Starfleet cadet. He would start off young and reckless, as in this timeline he hadn't have gotten stabbed in his heart. Basically he would be like Chris Pines Kirk, only with a bald head. Why would he be bald if he was in his 20's? Well it's because everyone knows that Picard is the "bald captain" so in the nuTNG movie he would have to have a shaved head, like Shinzon.

Will Riker: 20 something years old. Wait, how could Riker be in his 20's if Picard is also in his 20's? Because this is nuTrek it doesn't have to make sense anymore. If you can't take it, you goddamn Trekkie, crawl back into your parents basement where you belong. So Riker is 20 years old, also a Starfleet Cadet. Basically Chris Pine Kirk 2.0, except he has dark hair and a beard. But Riker didn't grow a beard until TNG's second season. But this Riker always had a beard because audiences know Riker is the First Officer with a beard, so nuRiker has a beard. Also the audience will need a scene where Picard gives Riker his nickname "Number One", but more on that later.

Dianna Troi: 20 something year old Starfleet cadet, just like nuUhura gets moved up to top billing and increase in screen time. Rikers love intrest. She is half Batazoid, but instead of being merely empathic, she has full Professor Xavier style psychic powers, and able to control peoples minds. Because in the NuTrek Universe all the characters are supercharged versions of their former selves.

Data: Already a pretty supercharged character, he is the most like the original. Except, he is far more robot looking in this time line. Similar looking to C3PO from Star Wars.

Geordi La Forge: 20 something year old Starfleet cadet, Never becomes helmsman, instead becomes the nuEnterprise D's Chief Engineer. He is blind but sees with the help of a VISOR. His VISOR isn't a modified hairband but a complicate high-tech electronic device that looks like an Oculus Rift: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/11/3867146/oculus-rift

Beverly Crusher: 20 something year old Starfleet cadet/med student. Possible love interest for Picard. Mother of Wesley Crusher, wife of Jack Crusher. So an obvious Jean Luc/Beverly/Jack love triangle can develop. As we all know there's nothing like a good old fashioned love triangle to get good character development.

Tasha Yar: 20 something year old Starfleet cadet. She becomes the nuEnterprise chief of security but gets killed about halfway through the movie.

Worf: 20 something year old Starfleet cadet. He will be mainly used for comic relief. A cross between Chewbacca and NuScotty's alien sidekick from the last two movies. Every line he says in the movie is in Klingon, except there aren't any subtitles for what he says. All the other characters know what he is saying but the audience doesn't. He takes over as chief Tactical/Security after Yar is killed.

Jack Crusher: 20 something year old Starfleet cadet. Picard's best friend. And one third of the Jean Luc/Beverly/Jack love triangle. He performs a noble sacrifice near the end of the movie helping to save the day and leaving Beverly a grieving widow for Picard to consol.

Wesley Crusher: 8 year old son of Jack and Beverly Crusher. Super brilliant genius, he helps save the day at one point in the movie.

Nurse Alyssa Ogawa: Briefly seen in one scene in sickbay, as Beverly Crusher gives her an order.

Chief O'brien: Transporter operator, whose sole purpose in the film is to beam people up and down.

Q: The Villain of the film. He is essentially an amalgamation of all the god like characters ever seen in Star Trek, but mostly Trelane.

And now for the Plot, since Generations came out the plot is obviously the least important aspect for a Trek movie, so here goes:

Picard is convinced to join Starfleet, for some reason, words like destiny and fate are used (words better suited to Star Wars than Star Trek). So Picard goes to Starfleet Academy and meets the rest of the characters, who are all conveniently in the same Academy Class together. Picard becomes friends with Jack Crusher. But Picard and Riker don't like each other at first. Picard and Riker see each other as competition, and since it's possible to go straight from Cadet to Captain of the Federation Flag Ship competition is fierce. At one point Riker tells Picard that he always comes in first place, so often in fact, that his friends call him "Number One". Picard however beats Riker and starts calling him "Number One" in a mocking manner. Until the end of the movie when they team up, and become friends, Picard then uses "Number One" as a form of affection. (The "Number One" origin scene will be similar to the "Bones" origin Scene from Star Trek 2009)

So at some point most of the fleet (and all that it stands for) will be detonated, by Q, who for some reason is after revenge against humanity. So Picard and his class mates will have to team up and take command of the brand new Enterprise D. And engage in an epic chess game of life and death with a one man weapon of mass destruction, Q. With a ticking clock on a doomsday device about to destroy Earth.

Tash Yar gets killed. The various crew members use their skills to do stuff. Jack Crusher does the noble sacrifice thing. Q has a Big Bad Space Ship (for some reason) that dwarfs the 2 mile long nuEnterprise D. Q's ship and the Enterprise fight. Picard and Q get in a climactic fist fight. Which Picard wins, and as Q is down and out Picard snaps his neck killing him. While Picard says something like: "Being a god must be hard work, you should take a break" then snap, he breaks his neck. Every one in the theatre will think it's "kewl", and afterwards will be talking about how much of a bad ass this version of Picard is. Q's ship explodes but O'brien beams Picard back.

There is a brief epilogue, with the crew in their customary spots, each get a line of clichéd dialogue. Wesley Crusher, despite being only 8 years old is the ships Helmsman, for his reward for saving the ship. The Enterprise is ready to go off on its next adventure. Picard says his famous "Space the Final Frontier..." and Credits.

The End

I think this is a guaranteed hit right here, as long as it has a budget of about $200 million. And I can't wait to see it in the summer of 2019. Followed by two more sequels. One in 2022 when nuPicard and Crew fight the nuBorg. And another one in 2025 when nuPicard and Crew fight nuCardasians (with a possible nuDS9 spinoff hinted at). Each movie will simply be a variation of the same story, with the same action beats being done over and over again in each movie.

What do you all think?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Is this really necessary? :rolleyes:

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No, it really isn't.

From now on, MrJ, just leave swipes at other fans/fan groups out of your posts, please - they add nothing useful.

4. MrJ

Why not? I'm just paraphrasing what has been said by J.J. fans to anyone who dares criticize the last two Star Trek movies, in this very forum.

Star Trek has changed and clearly only basement dwelling losers care about story structure, plot logic, character development, social commentary, and the presentation of original ideas.

Anyone who can't turn their brain off and just shovel popcorn in their mouths while they watch retreads of previous stories and characters and "kewl esplosions", doesn't "get" Star Trek anymore. Or can't "grasp [J.J. Abrams] concept". Or at least that's the perception around here.

Also I should point out that it was a swipe at my self. In an earlier thread either on this board or another one, I raised a few criticisms about Into Darkness. And another poster responded essentially that continuity, plausible science, and stories that make sense have no place in Star Trek anymore. And anyone who thinks otherwise, or dares criticizes a J.J. Star Trek movie are parents basement dwellers. Not that I am, nor anyone else who would like Star Trek to be smart again are either.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  5. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Shouldn't this be Nu-Nu Trek? Also shouldn't Wesley be 20 as well, since this is Nu-NuTrek it doesn't have to make sense anymore.

6. MrJ

It's still just NuTrek, because it is still in the Abrams created NuTrek universe, just 100 years in the future. So it is NuTrek: The Next Generation.

And I thought about making Wesley a 20 year old too, but after not discussing it with a group of experts and not using data collected by an imaginary focus group. I, as the pretend Executive Producer of this theoretical film decided that having a main character in the key 6 to 12 year old demographic we could sell more toys and lunch boxes if there was a character in the movie in their age group. (Although this film is rated PG-13)

Also, as little sense as a NuTrek movie is supposed to make, having a 20-ish year old character as the mother of another 20-ish year old character would be pushing the stupidity to B movie levels. This is still Star Trek after all, there must be some minimum level of believability that has to be maintained.

Also, also, If Beverly Crusher was 14 or 16 when she had Wesley, then Star Trek, or at least NuTrek, could at least mention in passing the issue of teenage pregnancy.

7. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Someone is an angry badger.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Scenario 1 is far more likely. Why?

1. CBS will retain all the sets, costumes, props, CGI models, etc. from the films. All they have to do is recast the principles again with unknown, cheaper-priced actors for a TV series. That's exactly what happened with M*A*S*H, and look how that turned out.

2. When the casual audience thinks of Star Trek, they think of Kirk and Spock. They don't think of Picard and Riker. That's kinda why Abrams chose the TOS setting for his movies. CBS wants casual viewers to watch their show, not just the extremely tiny (in comparison) Trek fanbase.

3. What exactly would be the point of creating a nuTNG series? What stories could they tell that they couldn't tell with a nuTOS series? nuTOS seems to be quite futuristic enough without having to add yet another century to the timeline.

4. Not that I think TV producers would ever think logically or realistically, but based on what we've seen in the two films, the 24th century of nuTOS would most likely be completely different than TNG. It's possible that Picard, Riker, Worf, etc. may not even exist by that time.

*EDIT* After re-reading the OP, I realize that this wasn't actually a discussion about whether a new TV series will be based on nuTOS or nuTNG, but rather just a thought experiment about an imaginary nuTNG series from someone who seems to have Abrams issues. My apologies.

9. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I sense a lock soon.

This seems more like a childish rant than an actual attempt at discussion.

10. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Badgers? Badgers?! We don't need no stinkin' badgers!

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Why not? Because I just asked you not to - that's why not.

Now, I'll tell you what: if you're serious about developing this as an idea, then you can do a clean re-start of the topic over in Future of Trek. I'd suggest concentrating on the idea, though, and dispensing with the snark and the put-downs. If you're not serious, and the snark and the put-downs are what it's really about, then I'd suggest just blogging it; it'll be your blog and you can say whatever you like.

I think we're done here, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.