DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Is anyone reading this 18 part Justice League Dark "Blight" crossover? I can never be bothered with the magic stuff.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am guessing variants of all three titles relaunch within a few months to highlight the new creative teams with all new number #1s! Superman: Man of Steel, Secret Six, Young Justice, and Nightwing!Something!.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i've been reading Justice League Dark since #1. i love magic stuffs.

as for Nightwing i expect that book to get relaunched at some point. i really, really hope this isn't the end for Dick Grayson though.

4. theenglish

He was supposed to have been killed in Infinite Crisis. DC has wanted to kill him for a while now--it seems to me that this would be the perfect opportunity for Jason or Tim to take over as Nightwing. My money is on Tim considering the simultaneous cancellation of Teen Titans.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It was always intended to be a mini series about 9 issues.

Frankly imo they should have stuck it on either Action or Superman and used it as a sales boost. Now any sales advantage it gained will be lost.

Different team and a more cosmic direction (ala GOTG I suspect).

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

JLA War came out today. :)

7. Hound of UIster

Where was MoS, Secret Six or YJ announced?

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

They weren't. I think the poster was just carrying on with the relaunching and renumbering discussing you guys were having in the thread.

9. theenglish

Placing my bets now, looking for takers. The Superman Unchained deal was exactly the type of thing I was talking about. The story could have been put into Action Comics immediately following Morrison's run to keep the momentum going--instead DC wanted a new #1! to "boost" sales.

10. Saga

wasn't Superman: Unchained originally going to be called Superman: Man of Steel?

11. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure that was just fan speculation, since it would have been the most obvious title.

12. Admiral_Young

Bleeding Cool when they first were reporting on the book, were saying it would be called "Man of Steel" to tie-in with the release of the film. Of course we got the "Superman: Unchained" instead.

13. Hound of UIster

I wonder why they didn't.

Still is Snyder off the Superbooks too?

Maybe he could be the writer on the JRJR Superbook.

14. Admiral_Young

Snyder was only writing "Superman Unchained". I suspect maybe this was cancelled so that he could focus on "Batman: Eternal". It is going to be interesting to see him handling a weekly, plus he has the return of "American Vampire" in March I believe as well and of course his regular duties on "Batman". Maybe editorial didn't want to spread him over too many books.

I'm guessing they didn't put Snyder on "Action Comics" because "Superman Unchained" was also a Jim Lee book (and IIRC they were heavily promoting that aspect too), I'm sure he probably had a lot of say into what his work load was going to be. Plus you had the debacle with Andy Diggle departing before even really starting his run, then the fill in before Greg Pak has started his current run (which has been great so far).

15. Hound of UIster

Given what happened with Diggle, they could have just distracted everyone by announcing Lee and Snyder on Action instead of giving them a mini. Unchained is pretty good, but now it's ending any sales they could have retained is lost because of its limited run.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, how many Bat-books a month are we going to have now?

Batman + Batman Robin + Detective + Eternal 1 + 2 + 3 + 4?

17. Admiral_Young

"Batgirl", "Batman", "Batman: Eternal", "Detective Comics". "Batman and..." "Batman/Superman" that makes five books. Plus whatever they end up doing with Grayson post Forever Evil, but right now we have five books.

18. Admiral_Young

I read Justice League #27 and enjoyed it a lot. Like the new streamlined Cyborg design much better than the clunkier first version and it should be interesting to see what Johns does with the Metal Men.

Wonder Woman #27 was also excellent again. Still have Batman #27 on the docket.

19. Saga

any of you read Earth 2 Annual #2?

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yes and I wish they had gone in a different direction with Batman.