IDW's Nero #4 - Minor Nitpicks/Minor Spoilers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ToddKent, Nov 26, 2009.

1. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

On the nitpick front I noticed:

When Spock got smacked in the head he had red blood. (He seemed to be bleeding from the mouth).

When Spock beamed down to Delta Vega it looked like the same new swirly transporter effect from the movie. I can understand that they changed the look of the transporter for the film but transporter effects usually seem different from species to species so I don't know why look of the transporter from a 24th century Romulan ship would look the same as the transporter effect from a 23rd century federation ship.

But those are really small nitpicks. Not a bad mini-series as a whole, even if they did crowbar in a V'ger cameo.

2. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

True that Spock's blood should have been green. Hope they fix that before the trade paperback comes out. :vulcan:

I don't think the transporter effect varies from species to species, just from creator to creator. :rommie:

Yeah, V'ger was really hammered in there. Oh, well. :klingon:

3. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I hope they catch that red blood and change it to green for the trade. I'm surprised that that one got through.

As for the issue itself, it was pretty paint by the numbers. I was disappointed with the Nero miniseries. I thought it started out great, with some cool revelations but then it just sort of petered out. I was hoping for something different, a twist, but the last issue pretty much covered what had already been discussed/shown in the Trek film.

4. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

They didn't really need 4 issues to cover the ground they had to cover. Two would probably have been enough. It left the entire series feeling slow and padded.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I haven't felt the "Nero" mini-series was "slow and padded" at all. I was curious as to what issue #4 was going to contain - what more story could be left - but we got lots of between-scenes Nero/Spock stuff from the movie in this one, answering questions and nitpicks people have complained about here on the TrekBBS.

6. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In issue four, Nero says that he's thought about what to do with Spock for twenty five years...and that's what he came up with? Leaving Spock on a nearby planet to witness his homeworld's destruction? That plan seems like it could have been hatched in a few hours, a day at the most.
    And that bit of dialogue is an example of what was so disappointing about the Nero miniseries. The creators could have developed the Nero character more fully, given the audience more insight into the villain's mindset. Instead we're treated to a comic's adaptation of the deleted scenes from the nuTrek DVD and (I agree totally with the previous posts) a shoe-horned V'ger cameo. The entire four issues seem like such an unfortunate missed opportunity.
    I felt particular frustration with the fourth issue, in which the featured antagonist comes down with a wretched case of exposition diarrea. He explains the Borg tech to Spock, details his twenty-five-years-in-the-making revenge scheme (:rolleyes:), and then tells his hated Vulcan adversary about the Federation outpost on Delta Vega (why he did so, I have no idea).
    Nero even takes a break from his genocidal plot to personally give Spock-prime a warm coat to wear on the chilly planet below. Thoughtful, no? If only Khan were so considerate of Kirk's comfort level when stranding him in the Genesis cave...
    The series answered a few nagging questions from the movie (Why didn't the Narada pursue the shuttlecrafts from the Kelvin? What were the Romulans up to for twenty five years before reappearing in the movie?) but in the end left me more puzzled about the Nero character's choices than ever.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they do that, they should also fix one other thing: Spock's lips. Shouldn't they be green as well? Not pinkish, like a human's?

8. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

He wanted Spock to live as long as possible to mourn the loss of his planet.