The Netflix Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Mar 11, 2013.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh.

In that case the question isn't why it's not on Netflix, because of some studio issues, but how does Netflix know he's popular on Netflix if his shows aren't there? ;)

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gotta wonder about Netflix's claims to be uncovering some amazing gems in their data pointing to a House of Cards/Fincher/Spacey connection, or now some kind of concordance between the Wachowskis and JMS.

What does Netflix do, call these people up and tell them they have to work together? Wouldn't it be more likely that the creative folks would be the ones to initiate the relationship and then go to Netflix with their idea, which then conveniently discovers that their data validates this relationship?

Does Netflix really have the clout to play Hollywood matchmaker? After the fact PR spin is so much less work. ;)

Which is not to say the collaborations won't work, but that's probably more to do with the creative freedom of not having to chase a mass market for an ad-supported medium or please theater owners by putting butts in seats. HBO's been doing the same thing for years, without the benefit of Big Data.

Or they're using data from DVD rentals in these decisions. In cases where they can't get streaming rights, that's a legit stand-in to judge demand. It's not at all far-fetched that the -ski's are very popular with Netflix customers as a whole. Early tech adopters = sci fi fans.

Sarandos' direct quote just says "their incredible creations are favorites of Netflix members globally." Could include DVDs.

The TechCrunch writer is the one who said "With Sense8, Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos explained that the Wachowskis and Straczynski are some of the most popular content creators on the Netflix Instant platform." The press release doesn't actually say that (although I'm sure Netflix is happy to see it interpreted that way, which is why the press release takes no pains to clarify the point.)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Honestly, I think this looks more interesting than any of the original programming that Netflix has done so far, and I don't find the "type" of show odd at all. Netflix is just starting off with their own shows; it makes sense to diversify and see what sticks. And did I see Famke Janssen in that trailer? That alone peaks my interest.

4. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Fringe fans take note-the show was added today to Instant Watch. Stream as much Walter as you want, or until you break the space time continuum. ;)

Both B5 and Jeremiah were available on the US service for years. So, I'm sure Netflix still keeps data on how well they performed while they had them. As already mentioned, the reason they aren't there presently is due to the studios not renewing contracts than Netflix not wanting them. Warner Bros adopted an extremely antagonistic posture against Netflix, and pulled (didn't renew) many of their popular series from NF in the US. That has softened in the last few months, though the non US based subscribers are benefiting the most. WB sells the Matrix films-and their shows no longer available in the US (Pushing Daisies, Sarah Connor), to NF's foreign services. Fringe was available for several months before today, as is Chuck-which arrives here later this spring/summer, no date has been posted.
    So it's not out of the realm that, looking at what's popular globally, that they'd mention JMS and the Wachowskis, in talking up an association with them.